What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the Tesla on a trip to get a nice lunch in Ferndale.

jnwWfnP.png

DLE78uL.png

and petted a friendly shop dog:

umVtECw.png

This car is changing my life.

Old me: I hate traveling!
New me: Where can we go?

4 yr. Grandson is here this weekend. Busy, busy! Playing with trucks, building legos, he is so creative. Such an imagination.
Love time with the kiddos.

January thaw

Unbelievable warm temperatures mid 60s last couple days, wife and I hiked the new rail trail near Woodstock NY. Along the Ashokan Reservoir, beautiful scenery

Checked out of a motel and went back to our new retirement home in NH we just closed on the day before. Set up an air mattress and camping chairs and did a few things in preparation for staying the week, when we had to head back to our NY place to get ready to pack and move in a month.

Same here with the warm weather, high 67° F today. We did some yard cleanup, raking leaves, cutting some wild growth back towards the woods and the like. Normally this time of year we're as close to hibernation mode as we can get.

There's gonna be a payback for this weather, for sure! I'll bet next month we're literally up to our butts in snow.

Old me: I hate traveling!
New me: Where can we go?

May I suggest Tuktoyaktuk?

Canada finally was able to extend the Dempster Highway past Inuvik, in order to reach the ocean. This all-weather road was opened on Nov 2017. It used to cost a few hundred dollars to take a 30-min flight from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk.

At an autosupply store in Dawson City in 2018, I overheard a Canuk bragging to the sales clerk that he just came back from "Tuk". The clerk asked how the new road was. The RV'er said that on a scale of 1 to 10 for a gravel road, he gave it an 8.

Last edited:
Installed the second of two Sensi smart thermostats. Have two heat pumps each with a separate thermostat. I had been waiting for another price drop on Amazon but ended paying about 10% more for this one after a Discover bonus deal. Process went smoothly but because the new thermostats are slightly smaller than the old ones, I will have to do some touch up painting on the wall.

Went kayak fishing with some friends.........paddled out right from our house. Watched 3 dolphins chasing fish (probably mullet) around, as soon as we got out near the main river. Watched the ospreys soaring above us, looking for a fish meal. Also saw pelicans, little blue herons, great blue herons, kingfishers, and other birds. Caught only one small fish (which I released), but it was an enjoyable morning. Nice and warm here, 75 degrees or so and sunny.

Sunday spent at hospital meeting new grandson :)

Who can beat that !! Congrats.

I installed a new ice maker in my fridge freezer. I've never even attempted anything like this but when I researched what might have caused the ice maker to quit, I found You tube videos showing how easy it was to install. It cost less to order the new ice maker than it would have to have an appliance repair person make a service call. It works too !!

Yesterday, we drove down to Key West. Wandered around Duvall Street and stopped in Ernest Hemingway's house, where we spent a good long time petting the many polydactyl cats. Since we left our girls at home, we needed a feline fix. We ate dinner out on the deck at Louie's Back Yard and watched the sunset. Quite a nice day. Today, we just lounged around here at the resort and read our books.

Played golf for the 1st time in 5 weeks. Started off slow with a 46 on the front but ended with a 41 on the back for an 87 total. Muscles a bit sore right now so time for a nice hot shower.

polydactyl cats.

You probably already knew this, but I read, quite a number of years back, that they are more common in port towns, (Halifax N.S. apparently being one, for example), since they were (supposedly) more adept at climbing masts, holding on, etc.

We went to Walmart to pick up a prescription. My wife spotted a credit card dropped on the ground. It turned out to be an American Express gift card with a face value of $500. OMG! I felt so bad for the person dropping it. How could we return it? What if it was a gift card given to an elderly person, who really depended on it?

At home, I went on the Web and looked up the balance on this card. It turned out to be only $6 left on the card. I felt so much better.

Last edited:
Even though I thought I might have jinxed myself applying for my social security benefit on Friday the 13th (last Sept), everything went smoothly. The online process was simple and there were no hiccups.

I received my first deposit today. I've always wanted to live long enough to get at least one payment. Since that's happened, I'm thinking....hey, how about two or three or four more....

Last edited:
Went to the second of 4 American Sign Language classes. This is at the library, which I can walk to.

The instructor is deaf and the class is an immersion class - only sign. The first class was terrible. I didn't understand anything and did not remember many signs even right after she showed them. Everybody else (much younger) seemed to be getting it faster.

I studied quite a bit using web videos, and class 2 was fine. I think I did this just to see if I can still learn anything. Not sure yet what I can do with it since I would need to practice conversation to get good enough to translate or work with the deaf.

Even though I thought I might have jinxed myself applying for my social security benefit on Friday the 13th (last Sept), everything went smoothly. The online process was simple and there were no hiccups.

I received my first deposit today. I've always wanted to live long enough to get at least one payment. Since that's happened, I'm thinking....hey, how about two or three or four more....

Congrats! Wow I didn't know that it takes 4 months to start getting payments. Did they give you a little back pay too?

Congrats! Wow I didn't know that it takes 4 months to start getting payments.
That was also my experience when I applied in 2008. Applied in early Oct (62nd birthday in early December) and got my first payment in mid February.

[Yes, I am well aware of the benefits of waiting to FRA or age 70. Note the month/year I applied and recall what was happening to portfolio balances at the time.]

Congrats! Wow I didn't know that it takes 4 months to start getting payments. Did they give you a little back pay too?
Thanks. :) Ooooo, back pay would have been nice, but I knew I'd get my first deposit in January since my birthday is November 14th (my 62nd bd). I applied as early as I could. Wanted to get my name in the pot....
That was also my experience when I applied in 2008. Applied in early Oct (62nd birthday in early December) and got my first payment in mid February.

[Yes, I am well aware of the benefits of waiting to FRA or age 70. Note the month/year I applied and recall what was happening to portfolio balances at the time.]
When I applied, it took a month for them to approve my social security benefit. Then I had to wait for the spousal benefit confirmation. I finally found out the latter part of December. I was nearly sweatin' bullets before I got the confirmation thinking there might be a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, bbbami & REWahoo! I need to start working on this. DW and I both planned on taking ss at FRA. For DW, that is Sept of this year. Me - Oct of next year.

But I don't want to write checks for Medicare. I'd rather have Medicare deducted from my ss. So I may go on ss at 65 in 7 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom