Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #2061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK. She attributes it to riding under the influence of jet lag. She's not sure what happened, just that she was going around a curve, saw the curb and thought OMG I'm going to hit it. Perhaps OMG followed by WTF.

Luckily nothing broken only some pretty bad road rash (gory photos here (after initial cleanup) and here (today)). Someone else did the initial cleaning while I rode home to get the car. I'm a little worried that there's some sand or gravel still in there.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, but I think that after today I won't put any more bandages on it. I have to wear hearing protectors when I change the bandages.
Al, all I can say is OUCH!!!

Even so, I'll bet you are so glad that she is home with you. You really missed her.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #2062
Gone but not forgotten

Al,that looks sore . I would let it air while she is home . Hopefully on the couch with a pillow under her leg and you feeding her peeled grapes . If she's going out I would put a light dressing on it to protect it from infection .
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #2063
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK.
Nasty looking injuries. Sheesh! Glad she has a good nurse (you) to tend to her.
Definitely a trip to the doc is in order for a double check on road stuff still in there. He will probably Rx an antibiotic and/or pain relief.
I know I would want both if my nerve endings were attached to those limbs.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #2064
Give me a forum ...

Ouch!

T-Al, has DW had her tetanus shots?
If you see yellow pus, or read streaks going up the limb, or if DW is feverish, get her to the ER, eh?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #2065
Give me a forum ...

Sunday lineup...hot tub hydrotherapy session in the fog at sunrise, breakfast pizza takeout, boat ride on the lake including some man pushing it up to 46 mph in "glass" lake conditions, a nice cool swim, a cheesburger with all the trimmings, ice cream for dessert.
All this by noon.
Getting PDH (pretty darn hot) here at 94F and brilliant sunshine. I have all the fans running and a dampened dishtowel around my neck. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
Summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #2066
Gone but not forgotten

Went to see Julie & Julia with my daughter . It was really good .
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #2067
Give me a forum ...

Just got home after midnight after an emergency filled evening at the hospital. Missed the season premiere of Mad Men Season 3.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #2068
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK. She attributes it to riding under the influence of jet lag. She's not sure what happened, just that she was going around a curve, saw the curb and thought OMG I'm going to hit it. Perhaps OMG followed by WTF.

Luckily nothing broken only some pretty bad road rash (gory photos here (after initial cleanup) and here (today)). Someone else did the initial cleaning while I rode home to get the car. I'm a little worried that there's some sand or gravel still in there.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, but I think that after today I won't put any more bandages on it. I have to wear hearing protectors when I change the bandages.
Hope I'm not too late - keep the wound wet! Do not let it dry out and scab over. Use Tegaderm or some similar type of bandage. It will heal much better with less chance of scarring. This is the way professional cyclist treat road rash. Hope she heals quickly with no complications.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #2069
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow AL those are some good ones. Hope she heals well.
Busy day.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #2070
Moderator Emeritus

Busy day.

Got up, had tea, did my five miles, had breakfast, then...

Installed a switched outlet off a lighting circuit in the kitchen, fishing wires here and there. Then, installed a set of low voltage under-cabinet lights.

I can't believe we went over 20 years without these. Finally I can see what I'm doing.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #2071
Give me a forum ...

Up at o'dark thirty again...saw the sunrise with coffee. Did some laundry, vacuumed screened porch (dog hair), did dishes, surfed, then went to lunch with dh2b. Return trip included some short distance 'Stangin with the top down, windows up and AC on.
I went on strike from TTD (things to do) and watched the thermometer climb to 96F with 85% humidity - I sat and "cooked" all day.
We installed the bedroom window AC unit tonight. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #2072
Give me a forum ...

Worked at the p.d. this morning. It was much better today than the previous weeks. No one yelled at me...'course it might have had something to do with the fact there was training today. All morning long I had bald, no-neck, one-eyebrow, plain clothes guys with pistols hanging at their hip parading in front of me. Normally, I'm in my area alone.

Then, DH and I had our hair cut. We really, really wanted long hair and we had it, but it was just too hot.

I'm pecking around on the forum as DH washes the bike. We may go for an early morning ride tomorrow. That is...if I get up early enough.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #2073
Give me a forum ...

I had a most enjoyable conversation with a tourist at my favorite seafood bar in the Public Market. She was a retired C-130 mechanic originally from Alaska but now living in Pensacola. Her family Homesteaded in Alaska in the 70s when she was a teenager. Her Grandad was the first to survey Anchorage. She was here to visit her new Grand-Daughter living with Mom and Dad in the Navy at Whidby Naval Airstation. She really impressed me because she was eating 3 servings of steamed clams, a truly Gargantuan feat as one serving has kept me full for seven hours. She said she loves clams but that they cost too much in Florida. She wanted to eat some raw fish in a medium priced place so I sent her to Uwajimaya in the International District, a short free bus ride a few minutes away via the bus tunnel. I hope she enjoys it, I definitely enjoyed talking with her.

Ha
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #2074
Give me a forum ...

I just BS'ed here all day, joking, teasing people.
I don't know what got to me.
I don't remember how many posts I did today.
Maybe tomorrow I will stop.

Oh, I remember now how I got in a good mood. I passed a huge kidney stone over the weekend that had hurt me for more than 2 weeks.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #2075
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
She said she loves clams but that they cost too much in Florida. She wanted to eat some raw fish in a medium priced place so I sent her to Uwajimaya in the International District, a short free bus ride a few minutes away via the bus tunnel. I hope she enjoys it, I definitely enjoyed talking with her.

Ha

Then she needs to visit Cedar Key ,Florida , That is where they harvest the clams .
Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #2076
Give me a forum ...

We had old-fashioned fun at the county fair yesterday (free admission day). Highlights included a dog show, hula hoop performance (including 50 hoops at one, a Guinness world record) and Galaxy Girl performing on a very high pole with no net or safety harnesses.

Photos in this thread. Check out the kids' expressions in the first shot.

There weren't a lot of people there, despite the free admission, and food prices seemed especially high.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #2077

I'm a bachelor this week. DW is in SC with her sister and niece for a "girl's week". Last night I took the long way home from work since the weather was so nice, riding the motorcycle. A couple of days ago DW calls on the phone and in the course of the conversation:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You better be!"

No sympathy at all.

Took advantage of the nearly-empty garage with lots of room to detail my truck.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #2078
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm a bachelor this week. DW is in SC with her sister and niece for a "girl's week". Last night I took the long way home from work since the weather was so nice, riding the motorcycle. A couple of days ago DW calls on the phone and in the course of the conversation:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You better be!"

No sympathy at all.

Took advantage of the nearly-empty garage with lots of room to detail my truck.
At least she asked how you were doing
Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #2079
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the yearly book sale at the library and bought four bags of books. That will last me a few days! I was kind of irritated with myself on not checking on sci fi authors to see who is new and good, it would have been a good chance to try some out. And I know there have been posts on the topic.

Yesterday I went to District 9. Interesting and well done but kind of depressing sci fi fare. At the end I wanted the aliens to come back and kick ass. Sort of.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #2080
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, I remember now how I got in a good mood. I passed a huge kidney stone over the weekend that had hurt me for more than 2 weeks.
This post is no good without a picture (of the kidney stone!)
Closed Thread