Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #4321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I won a prize this morning!

Lolling in bed listening to a chat show on the radio. They had a guest who has been writing horror stories for years and is finally having his first one published in an anthology. The prize: a prepublication copy of the book.

The quiz: Where was Bram Stoker (Dracula) born?
I knew the answer (Dublin, Ireland) and called in immediately. So a copy of the book is on its way to me!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4322
Give me a forum ...

I decided to log on and do some reading and posting before someone sends out the sled dog team looking for me.
Enjoying the nice cool gloomy weather. I thought about mowing the lawn, but I talked myself right out of it.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #4323
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Yeah, I think it's a theme with them.
He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
She did much better this time. Southpaw shooter. No left or right twitches, although she tends to anticipate the trigger and leans forward. But the rangemaster spent a lot of time with her and she "gets it". Good enough for a Navy sharpshooter ribbon.* To get any better she'd have to have a Marine instructor and an ammunition budget.

While she was "plinking away" with her 9mm, three Japanese visitors were shooting .357 Magnums. Holy cow, what a flame that barrel puts out.

*[By which I mean "about an hour better than nothing at all."]

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #4324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
Lone Star beer? Sheesh...
Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #4325
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's a theme with them. This is Mike the Brit engineer who was working here for a while sometime back. We took him out shooting and somewhere along the line we decided to deck him out and take a souvenir photo for him to take back home and show the lads. He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
We did almost the same thing with my friend except he wanted a cowboy hat. He must have cornered the market on 35mm film when he got here, He had a good camera with motor drive so I went through several rolls of film on auto so he could try to get just the right shot of him firing a Colt 1911, a Ruger .44 magnum. and a Winchester lever action. Unfortunately it was his camera and film so I don't have copies. I should e-mail and see if he ever scanned them
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #4326

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lone Star beer? Sheesh...
I knew some Texan would notice. That was back in the day when I was struggling to survive - whatever beer was on sale was my brand. I drank plenty Lone Star, but even more Pearl.

When you can buy your first Pearl Beer, you'll know you're almost home!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #4327
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Pearl Beer...30 years ago I worked in downtown SA and my boss loved to go to Shilo's Deli for lunch. He was on a diet so he'd order only a slice of cheesecake and a Pearl Light. He swore the combination of the two killed his appetite for the rest of the day.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #4328
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm on my way outside to do battle (actually just a holding action -they are undefeatable) with Canada thistle in the front plantings.
Amethyst
What do you use to battle your thistles? They're sprouting and resprouting all over - impossible to get rid of and I'm looking for help!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #4329
Give me a forum ...

Today I get my boat out of storqge and drop it off at the dealer for dewinterizing.He will have it ready for me within 2 weeks. And the good news is that the dewinterizing is free...it is included in what I paid last year for winterizing it.

Here she is, all 18' of her. Just a cute little open bow runabout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7040016.jpg (397.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #4330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today I get my boat out of storqge and drop it off at the dealer for dewinterizing.He will have it ready for me within 2 weeks. And the good news is that the dewinterizing is free...it is included in what I paid last year for winterizing it.

I would love a little boat like that. What did it cost, and how much to maintain? Is it necessary to have a tow-ready vehicle?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #4331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I would love a little boat like that. What did it/she cost, and how much to maintain? Is it necessary to have a tow-ready vehicle?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #4332

Just booked our first whitewater rafting trip...going in June on the Ocoee in TN...very excited! Now, to start looking at camping options...

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #4333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would love a little boat like that. What did it cost, and how much to maintain? Is it necessary to have a tow-ready vehicle?
It is a Starcraft model 1800 I/O (18' with I/O engine). Cost of boat and trailer was $23K in 2005. Paid cash when I sold our used 34' Pearson sailboat after my husband passed.
It looks like they only make a 17' now (1700 I/O model).
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/Showr...Series=Limited I/O
I tow it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee (with tow package), which is just enough vehicle to do the j*b. I don't take it on high speed roads because the weight of the boat and trailer is just about equal to the weight of the Jeep, i.e. no stopping on a dime.
Maintenance consists of winterizing and systems lube/check, approx $250 per season. I've had no repairs needed yet. The horsepower comes from a marine grade automobile engine.
Insurance is about $150 per year. I pay $500 for the walk up docking slip, and about $300 for the club membership dues, annually. Remember I live in the boondocks, so costs are very low.
I launch it in mid May and pull it in mid September.
It seats 4 comfortably, and up to 6 if the back seat is used. The bow is open with very comfortable cushioning and perfect for doing the stretched out "bow babe" thing.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #4334
Moderator Emeritus

freecycling! No, not a velocipede, just a way to find a new home for old stuff. I moved an old turntable, LaserDisc player, and DVD player to places that could actually use them.

Yay! Less stuff in the garage. I can almost fit the car in there again. OK, it's a small garage...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #4335
Give me a forum ...

I caught a glimpse of a lightning bug tonight. Watching it glide through the air seemed as magical as when I saw one for the very first time as a child.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #4336
Give me a forum ...

Visited a friend and dropped a packsge off at the post office. I had other errands to do but I blew them off and just hung around the house with my furry babies.
Weather permitting, I am headed for a solo road trip to the Adirondack Mt Park tomorrow. If it is warm enough, it's Mustang time!
I'll be getting going very early...only 1 hour drive with no traffic on a weekday and I will really be in God's country.

Destination: Old Forge NY
http://oldforgeny.com/tow_about.html
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #4337
Give me a forum ...

I wrote my boss a letter indicating my desire to groom a successor for part of my job effective 2013. I guess that's a semi commitment to semi ESR!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #4338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I wrote my boss a letter indicating my desire to groom a successor for part of my job effective 2013. I guess that's a semi commitment to semi ESR!
Congrats, that's the first step to admitting that you do have an escape plan.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #4339
Give me a forum ...

Lena's in Sweden for 1.5 weeks, and I've entered the talk-to-myself-a-lot phase.

I got some CarbQuik yesterday (like Bisquick, but low-carb). I had waffles this morning:

and made cheese biscuits this afternoon:

I used to be a pure maple syrup snob, but that sugar-free stuff isn't too bad.

The stuff really works, and the taste is almost the same as regular waffles/biscuits. There's maybe some small indefinable difference, but not much. The waffles taste much better than whole wheat waffles.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #4340
Give me a forum ...

Al...those biscuits look marvelous! Here are mine...wanna have a biscuit cook-off?

(at first I thought we should show our buns....butt but that wouldn't be proper.)