Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #8981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
He's so cute when he rests his eyes sleeps.
AKA checking one's eyelids for holes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8982
Gone but not forgotten

I went to lunch today with a new member of the forum and an old member and his wife . I'll give you a clue on the old member . He was famous for the one more year syndrome . He also shaved his beard and did not have on a plaid shirt so I almost did not recognize him . We had a very nice time . The new member is a lot of fun and meshed well . A beautiful sunny day in Sarasota !
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #8983
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
People evaluating the possibility of 7 billion people about to perish, 24/7 coverage, Kardashians pushed out of the news, global unity, last hour vigils, champagne parties when it misses us. That's how I define fun.
December 21, 2012. Partay!!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #8984
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I went to lunch today with a new member of the forum and an old member and his wife . I'll give you a clue on the old member . He was famous for the one more year syndrome . He also shaved his beard and did not have on a plaid shirt so I almost did not recognize him . We had a very nice time . The new member is a lot of fun and meshed well . A beautiful sunny day in Sarasota !

No plaid shirt? Doggone, his wife been spending the family fortune. Did he check your tire pressures?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #8985
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Called BC/BS to cancel my health insurance effective the end of the month when I go on Medicare. The gravel-voiced BC/BS customer service rep signed off the call with "Congratulations!"...and a hearty laugh.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #8986
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Called BC/BS to cancel my health insurance effective the end of the month when I go on Medicare. The gravel-voiced BC/BS customer service rep signed off the call with "Congratulations!"...and a hearty laugh.
That's great! No more huge deductible for you, now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #8987

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's great! No more huge deductible for you, now.
Not only that, my premium cost decreases by $200+ per month.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #8988
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No plaid shirt? Doggone, his wife been spending the family fortune. Did he check your tire pressures?

No , You are not even close !
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #8989
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Old member" = Rich_in_Tampa for sure
No idea who the new member is!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #8990
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I paid off the contractors. They were very happy with my promptness in forking over the dough. The lead guy said he usually has to chase people down.
The remaining part is on order and be installed free of charge in 3 days.

I am watching the rain and watching Mr B stretched out in the recliner.
He's so cute when he rests his eyes sleeps.

Did I make anyone nauseous ?
If you'd let him sleep at night, perhaps he wouldn't need to rest his "eyes" so much...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #8991
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If you'd let him sleep at night, perhaps he wouldn't need to rest his "eyes" so much...

Is it not true that a period of sleep always follows a period of high endorphin flow?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #8992
Give me a forum ...

Mr B got up very early to go to the Syracuse VA hospital for a routine follow up with his cardiologist. He is doing just fine, 7 months after our big scare in April. I am very glad they are keeping a close eye on him.

I slept in, and finally motivated to get up. I got my coffee all set and turned on the Weather Channel.
The dreaded words were heard....lake effect snow.
The good news is I already have my snow plow guy on deck. He lives less than 3 miles from me and is very reliable. So...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #8993
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Is it not true that a period of sleep always follows a period of high endorphin flow?
And some of the best sleep! Or so I've heard...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #8994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #8995
Moderator Emeritus

Someone reminded me yesterday that life is short, and that I should loosen my purse strings a little and enjoy pursuing a little decadent consumerism.

Coincidently, today F. and I went to a chain furniture store to look for something he wanted. He didn't find, it, but it occurred to me that I had planned to buy some furniture for my den next year.

I accidently ran into just what I wanted (oops! ), and proceeded to engage in some serious cheapskate-style bargaining back and forth. It was already on sale, and I finally negotiated the price down, down, down from there to $949 total for:

1.) full sized sofa
2.) matching love seat
3.) matching big/easy chair
4.) matching huge ottoman

Cash is King in this recession, I swear! The saleslady was a sweetie, born and raised here and we were on the same page when it came to the fact that I would get the set for under $1K or walk. I would have, too, since I hadn't actually planned to make this purchase until next year. So, I ended up paying 80% of even the "store closing giant blowout sale", sale price. That makes me almost happier than the furniture.

Furniture to be delivered tomorrow.... Woo-hoo!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #8996
Full time employment: Posting here.

REWahoo, canceling your health insurance and going on Medicare is almost as good as paying off your mortgage! Maybe there should be a health insurance burning celebration! I envy you. At 57, DH and I are already paying $1500 a month for insurance.

Today I accompanied DH to his taste testing. $40 in cash for 45 minutes of tasting pancakes. This is one job that is pretty painless. I couldn't do it because of fasting for my colonoscopy tomorrow. Instead of eating, I'm torturing myself by looking online to add to my recipe collection.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #8997
Administrator

Quote:

I accidently ran into just what I wanted (oops! ), and proceeded to engage in some serious cheapskate-style bargaining back and forth. It was already on sale, and I finally negotiated the price down, down, down from there to $969 total for:

1.) full sized sofa
2.) matching love seat
3.) matching big/easy chair
4.) matching huge ottoman

Cash is King in this recession, I swear! The saleslady was a sweetie, born and raised here and we were on the same page when it came to the fact that I would get the set for under $1K or walk. I would have, too, since I hadn't actually planned to make this purchase until next year. So, I ended up paying 80% of even the "store closing giant blowout sale", sale price. That makes me almost happier than the furniture.

Furniture to be delivered tomorrow.... Woo-hoo!
Well done. Look who has the bargaining gene. Bargaining is enjoyable, isn't it?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #8998
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No , You are not even close !
I pretty sure I am on the mark w/RIT without being xplicit.

1. He was busted wearing the same plaid/checkered shirt in photographs with two different visitors to Tampa, one was IIRC freebird.

It was part of a way funny post by someone.

2. While driving his large motorhome he was musing about a tire pressure being low for some reason. This is the kind of techie funny stuff that I tend to remember, mostly 'cause it was noted by someone who is not in the techie field.

But if I am wrong so be it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #8999
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, but it only lasts about 5 minutes, if you keep up the amusement, it will pass.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #9000

Quote:
Someone reminded me yesterday that life is short, and that I should loosen my purse strings a little and enjoy pursuing a little decadent consumerism.
I think that is excellent advice!

Congratulations on your new furniture, but if you were going for decadent I think you missed the mark. It looks very classy to me.