Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #10081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You say the drip was coming from the back, but the crack is on the front. Cracked back there too?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #10082
Moderator Emeritus

What an awful occurence, REWahoo. Good luck in finding a new toilet. Mine is a rose-beige color that is probably no longer made, and matches the tub and sink. It would drive me nuts to have a mis-matched toilet. So, if that happened to me I'd probably have to do a complete bathroom remodel. In fact, maybe I'd have them take down one of the walls to make the bathroom bigger, and put in the giant shower I've always wanted..... but then there is a (tiny) shower only in the other bathroom, so maybe I'd have to remodel and enlarge BOTH bathrooms... and if I took the extra space from the master bedroom, I'd have to tack on an addition to the house for that... yep, that would be a very expensive toilet by the time I was done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #10083
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You say the drip was coming from the back, but the crack is on the front. Cracked back there too?
No, only the crack in front. Water was running down to the base of the tank and dripping off the back edge.

I'm really stumped as to what may have caused the tank to crack. I haven't fiddled with that toilet for more than two years and there is no sign of any blow to the tank that may have led to the failure. No extremes of water temperature either.

W2R, although the fluorescent light in the photo makes it look yellow, the toilet is plain white. No home remodel necessary, just a $200 Kohler replacement which, of course, is turning out to be a lot more work than it should. Seems the base of the new toilet is deeper than the old one and I had to cut out a small section of quarter round molding on the baseboard to allow it to fit. Which means I needed a second wax toilet ring - the spare I forgot to buy when I made the trip into town to get the toilet. So, I'm taking a break while DW picks one up for me after buying groceries.

A two hour project that will end up taking six - if I'm lucky.

I hate working on plumbing...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #10084
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that was fast! It's great that you didn't have to worry about toilet color or style.

While you were actually accomplishing something, I have been tearing my house apart looking for my checkbook. The last time I wrote a check was in January, right here where I am sitting, and I haven't thought about it since. I look at my checking account every day, and no illicit checks have been passed. It's here somewhere.... Bet it fell under the sofa.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #10085
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, only the crack in front. Water was running down to the base of the tank and dripping off the back edge.

I'm really stumped as to what may have caused the tank to crack. I haven't fiddled with that toilet for more than two years and there is no sign of any blow to the tank that may have led to the failure. No extremes of water temperature either.
It could have had an internal crack beneath the surface for a long time and it just reached the surface last night. Hope the replacement didn't set you back too much.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #10086
Give me a forum ...

Too late now, but you might have been able to just buy a new tank and re-use the same bowl. I did the inverse once when the bowl cracked.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #10087

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Too late now, but you might have been able to just buy a new tank and re-use the same bowl. I did the inverse once when the bowl cracked.
I thought about it but the bowl had a small chip in it plus a quick search showed a replacement tank would have run me around $120. Figured I'd boost the economy a bit and spend the extra $80 for an entirely new model.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #10088
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the toilet woes, REW.

As you say, it's just as well it happened while you were at home and not away traveling.

I've changed a couple of toilets in my past - not one of my favorite jobs, mostly 'cos I'm rubbish at plumbing.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #10089

Quote:

Braumeister's Invariable Law of Plumbing Repair:

All projects will require three separate trips to the store.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #10090
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
As you say, it's just as well it happened while you were at home and not away traveling.
Yeah. I had that happen to me in '09 when the toilet seal went and no one was around. The water ran for about a month. My fault for not turning off the water when we're away.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #10091
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

While you were actually accomplishing something, I have been tearing my house apart looking for my checkbook. The last time I wrote a check was in January, right here where I am sitting, and I haven't thought about it since. I look at my checking account every day, and no illicit checks have been passed. It's here somewhere.... Bet it fell under the sofa.
It is in a pocket.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #10092

Is it in one of the spaces between your car seat and the center console? Or between the base of the front passenger seat and the door?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #10093
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A friend of mine who's been spending a few winter months in Florida for the past several years once told me the steps he takes to winterize his house for while he's away. It included turning off the water, which I understand, and emptying the toilet tank, which I didn't. Makes more sense now, can't say that I've heard of someone having this happen.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #10094
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
As I shuffled past the half bath this morning on the way to make coffee, I heard the distinct sound of dripping water - a lot of dripping water. The floor of the bathroom was very wet and it was coming from the back of the toilet tank. After a minute or two of blurry-eyed investigation, I discovered a crack in the tank (see photo).

We had the same thing happen a few years ago . It was in an upstairs bath and luckily we saw the leak right away as it dripped from the ceiling .
Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #10095
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It is in a pocket.
Good idea. It could be in my coat pockets, since it is no longer cold enough to wear a coat. I need to check my pockets.

Quote:
Is it in one of the spaces between your car seat and the center console? Or between the base of the front passenger seat and the door?
This sounded likely too so I just checked these spots. I also checked inside the center console, and on the floor behind the driver's seat. No luck yet.

I used some new checks for those I needed to write today. I'm not done looking for it yet. (sigh)

Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #10096

In lieu of my normal morning walk, I went to Home Depot to buy grout to fix a tile floor, a hinge for a desk, and two bags of river pebbles to finish the border of our new backyard pond. No luck on the desk hinge - guess I'll need to look online for the right hinge (aggravating as the desk is only a few months old).

Spread the pebbles out and admired my landscaping handiwork of the past week while finishing my coffee. Now I just need to get the algae under control so we can enjoy our goldfish!

Fixed the grout. Unfortunately the color isn't a perfect match.

Ate leftovers for lunch. Spent the afternoon doing DS's taxes. Took all the tax stuff for everyone to the post office. Came home and while I was feeding the goldfish, DS called to say he'd been offered a summer internship .

Time to go fix dinner as both DH and I have meetings tonight for (different) volunteer activities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pond to post.jpg (927.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #10097

Install done. I'm good to go.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #10098
Give me a forum ...

Reminded me that I once had a cracked tank, for no known reason. I just replaced the tank, however.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #10099
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
A friend of mine who's been spending a few winter months in Florida for the past several years once told me the steps he takes to winterize his house for while he's away. It included turning off the water, which I understand, and emptying the toilet tank, which I didn't. Makes more sense now, can't say that I've heard of someone having this happen.
Not heard that before.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #10100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't/can't do plumbing. But I do have an independent guy who is dirt cheap. Two years ago my water heater died and I get this guy to go with me to Lowes and haul it in his truck to my house. From there he does the entire installation which took 2-3 hours and hauls off my old one. Entire job ran around 4 hours including time at store and hauling off the old. When I asked him how much, he said $50 will do it. I gave him an extra $20 just because I'm such a good guy.

Of course you will sleep well tonight knowing you took care of the job from start to finish.
Closed Thread