Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #12701
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, the "up at very dark-thirty" will go. Left to my own device, I actually do tend to prefer early mornings, but somedays, it is great to roll over and "forget about it"

The "leftovers for supper" might go, because you will have the time to concoct a delicious meal from scratch, and there might not be any leftovers. sounds delicious!

You won't have to dress for w*rk (hey, you could lounge around all day in your jammies if you wanted to!) and instead of dealing with w*rk crap you could be out enjoying the Fall weather. Love that thought

Sounds good?
Sounds GREAT! 159 or more, but likely less, working days left
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #12702
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Theseus

It's heaven...
Looking forward to that...
Old 10-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #12703
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're having a guest house built (doing a lot of work ourselves). Yesterday, two drywall installers were here and hung the entire 2 bedroom 1000 sq. ft. house in about 7 hours including the ceilings. A team will be back today to start the finishing process.

I spent some time watching these two work and see now how the way I've done this myself for years is really inefficient. All the cutouts for lights, doors, windows, etc. were done after they tacked up the panel with drywall nails- they then used a rotor tool (small router with a spiral bit) to plunge through the panel and then ran it around the fixture- perfect fits! They used more drywall than I would have but had a lot fewer seams by not piecing in around the doors and windows as much as I would have.

The second member of the team was a young lady that couldn't have been 5' tall- she put in all the screws in the panels after they were tacked up and all the holes were cut. You could tell these two have worked together for years.

I'm going to finish a section of our basement this winter so hope to use what I learned from watching these folks and do a better job than my usual attempt. I'm looking forward to watching the finishers today to see what I can pick up in terms of technique although I suspect this is more of a skill along with a lot of practice to get it right. We're paying someone to do the drywall because I figure it would take me the whole house to get it figured out and only the last wall would look decent!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #12704
Recycles dryer sheets

I went for a 5 km run with my two lovable doggies, read an ebook for an hour or so, watched a netflix doco on motorcycling through the himilayas then, inspired by this, went for a 100 km motorbike ride through some local twisties with the road pretty much to myself. A magnificent day in ERsville!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #12705
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
I went for a 5 km run with my two lovable doggies, read an ebook for an hour or so, watched a netflix doco on motorcycling through the himilayas then, inspired by this, went for a 100 km motorbike ride through some local twisties with the road pretty much to myself. A magnificent day in ERsville!
That does sound like a good day.

Yesterday I took the mutt on a 5 mile walk and played 9 holes of golf later in the day. Love October, nicest month of the year imo.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #12706
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still have a very part time gig (i.e. I turn up an work as and when I feel like it), and I happened to be in the CBD at around lunch time for non-work reasons so I dropped into the office for a free lunch.

I think I was a little under-dressed but nobody said anything.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #12707

Quote:
What was the name of the netflix doco on motorcycling through the himilayas?

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #12708
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
What was the name of the netflix doco on motorcycling through the himilayas?

Cheers!
It was called The Highest Pass. The link, which hopefully works, is here: Watch The Highest Pass Online | Netflix
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #12709
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It was called The Highest Pass. The link, which hopefully works, is here: Watch The Highest Pass Online | Netflix
I should note that there is a notable yoga/buddhism flavour to this documentary, but it didn't detract from the challenge of the ride aspect of the show to a heathen like me.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #12710

Got my hearing checked, I'm fine. Slight loss in the higher frequencies because of exposure to gunfire (range shooting) even with ear protection.

This confirms to DW that she speaks too softly and I'm not hard of hearing.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #12711

Quote:
Thanks. It's now saved it on my netflix queue. I was in Nepal a decade or more ago just not on a motorcycle. Should be good for "pizza night".

I supposed you have seen "Long Way Round".

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #12712
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I supposed you have seen "Long Way Round".
Cheers!
I have, and Long Way Down too. I should have taken a video camera with me and made Long Way Down Under when I motorcycled around Australia a couple of years ago with my father and son. It was quite the 24,000 km journey!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #12713
Give me a forum ...

I'm such a huge fan of the Long way series. I SO WISH they'd do one on the PanAm! Charley Boorman is one of my biggest heroes. Might have to check the suggestion for Highest Pass.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #12714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Scared myself at the gym. After completing a great workout on the Elliptical crosstrainer and stairclimber, and feeling wonderful, suddenly I fell into a dead faint. I don't even remember fainting and by the time I awakened half a dozen gym employees were hovering over me. Once I had recovered, Frank drove me home and stayed with me to make sure I was OK.

My best hypothesis is that having lost 40 pounds in the past few months, I probably need to get the dosages for my BP meds adjusted. That, or maybe I needed to drink more water.

It could be worse. I am fine except for several badly twisted/sprained joints (shoulder, knee, finger), and a gash in my forehead. My glasses were found by the staff and were unbroken except for the nose pieces which were pushed way out of line.
Just got the "all clear" from my internist late this afternoon. The CAT-scan of my brain showed nothing to be concerned about, and I am feeling completely normal and healthy with all my injuries healed by now. Best of all, my doctor says I can drive now and do not need any more tests!

We both think that the reason I fainted was probably that I did not do a cool down after my workout and stood there talking to my friend right after exercising, instead, and we stood there talking at length (on and on and on nearly forever...) even though I was feeling pretty fidgety. Normally I do a cool down but did not want to be rude to her; but gee, rather than faint I think next time I will just walk in place to cool down while we talk.

Here's a quote I found online discussing why lack of a cool down can cause a healthy person to faint after exercise:
Quote:
Why do healthy people faint after exercising? The answer to this question is actually very interesting. When people are involved in high intensity exercise over at least several minutes, they require a LOT of blood flow to the working muscles. So the blood vessels in our muscles, especially the legs, dilate to accommodate all this increased blood.
Now, our body depends on contraction of our leg muscles to push blood from the legs back up to the heart. During intense exercise our ability to maintain adequate blood pressure depends on this pumping of blood back to our heart by our legs. If you suddenly stop running, the blood return from your legs to your heart suddenly drops and so you don't have enough blood to pump to your brain--plop, down you go.
I asked my doctor what he thought about this (verbally summarizing it for him), and he thinks that is a good hypothesis of what probably happened. So, don't forget your cool down after exercising.

My doctor told me today that his main concern was a brain tumor, because he has had two patients that passed out unexpectedly like that and turned out to have brain tumors. We are both glad I was not the third. He says every indication is that I am extremely healthy and he sees no need for further testing.

And, I can drive again now!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #12715
Moderator Emeritus

Awesome news W2R!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #12716

W2R, I'm very happy to hear you've got a clean bill of health from your doctor. And your explanation of fainting sounds quite reasonable. Now back on the horse!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #12717

Good news, and we're so glad you got an "all clear" on this.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #12718

Very good news, W2R. I am glad to read you're A-OK.

And on other health front news, today I finally hit the "Enroll" button on the
CoveredCA health exchange.

We'll see how that goes.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #12719
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, all, and awesome news, Accidental Retiree!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #12720

Glad you're ok as well.

Spent the day looking through home remodelling stores getting ideas for a home remodel. Replaced the old thermostat with a digital one. Spent time looking at a potential canoe route...

...a good day.