what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busy day here too. Did trash and recycling in the morning, took out the rest of the dock and got it put away for the winter.

Also ordered a new car... 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. Ended up at $730 below dealer invoice which I thought was pretty good. I could have saved a little by going with a dealer 2 1/2 hours away but decided to spend the extra $250 to go local. Close enough. Even though I am retired my time is worth something.

Sadly, there are psychopaths like this all over the world, who do this to people who do not cause them any harm. The worst ones become serial murderers, or looters like Bernie Madoff. There is no reason to think that there are more of them in Vegas than elsewhere.

I've never had my car keyed even once here, though! I don't drive a whole lot, true; maybe about 3000-3500 miles per year. Even so, 19 years without being keyed is not bad.

I wonder if keying is more common in some parts of the country than other regions.

I have never had my cars scratched once (and I did buy new cars :) ), but all it takes is for you to cross path with a psychopath once.

I wonder if car-keying risks in an area correlate with other petty property crimes, of which there may be statistics available.

Took some household hazardous waste to the recycling center (very old pesticides, variety of aerosol cans, batteries, ancient anti-freeze) by appointment and proof of city residency, so that freed up a lot of space and worry. Then tried to keep cool during this horrid heat wave of 96F with the AC on. Watched some college football games and then prepped and ate a nice dinner w DW (grilled pork chops, scalloped potatoes and steamed veggies).

Had to run errands today in the new 3500 dually pickup. It won't fit in a normal parking spot so I was polite and parked on the outer edge of every parking lot so that my taking up two spaces wouldn't inconvenience anyone.
Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on.
DH is out of town at a pickleball tournament. Not going to tell him until he gets home. No point upsetting him.
I'm so sorry this happened to your new vehicle. I wonder why people do this. A group of corvette friends went to an amusement park, parked in a lot where no one else was parked and furthest away from entrance and someone keyed the entire side of 2 of the vettes.

Played chauffeur. Drove DW and her sis into the nearby town for fort days. In English it means there is an old fort in town (mostly fake, as the original parts have long ago rotted away) where they do battle re-enactments, but for PC reasons those shot in the mock battles are not allowed to fall down, nor display any fake blood, let alone mock scalpings, as that my upset the sensitivities some folks. Along with the requisite parades through Main street, of any organization that can muster a flag and some marchers.

You gave me a laugh, I mistook fort for fart.

Sadly, there are psychopaths like this all over the world, who do this to people who do not cause them any harm. The worst ones become serial murderers, or looters like Bernie Madoff. There is no reason to think that there are more of them in Vegas than elsewhere.
These people are every where. I sometimes wonder if they are jealous.
Also ordered a new car... 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. Ended up at $730 below dealer invoice which I thought was pretty good. I could have saved a little by going with a dealer 2 1/2 hours away but decided to spend the extra $250 to go local. Close enough. Even though I am retired my time is worth something.
That is a cool looking vehicle. I looked at it online and like a lot of the options that are offered especially the "Eyesight". Was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday and saw so many inattentive drivers that could use that feature. We went out to dinner with friends that took their new Ford F150 Platinum that has blind spot detection and it was amazing how well it worked too. Best of luck with your new vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went out to dinner with friends that took their new Ford F150 Platinum that has blind spot detection and it was amazing how well it worked too.

We purchased a slightly used 2014 Toyota Highlander earlier this year with this feature - I really like it. This plus a back up camera are the two best safety improvements to autos in recent years. I'll never buy another vehicle without them.

I'm so sorry this happened to your new vehicle. I wonder why people do this. A group of corvette friends went to an amusement park, parked in a lot where no one else was parked and furthest away from entrance and someone keyed the entire side of 2 of the vettes.

These people are every where. I sometimes wonder if they are jealous.

Of course they are envious. But that is not the same thing as deriving pleasure out of causing anguish to people who have not done anything to you. That's one of the traits of a psychopath.

According to a Web site, a psychopath is someone who

has no feelings of guilt or remorse no matter what you do, no limiting sense of concern for the well-being of strangers, friends, or even family members. Imagine no struggles with shame, not a single one in your whole life, no matter what kind of selfish, lazy, harmful, or immoral action you had taken.

On the other hand, if you have not done anything wrong to that person and get your car scratched, and you want to castrate him if you catch him, it may be extreme but there's now a cause, and I would not call you a psychopath.

Last edited:
....That is a cool looking vehicle. I looked at it online and like a lot of the options that are offered especially the "Eyesight". Was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday and saw so many inattentive drivers that could use that feature. We went out to dinner with friends that took their new Ford F150 Platinum that has blind spot detection and it was amazing how well it worked too. Best of luck with your new vehicle.

We purchased a slightly used 2014 Toyota Highlander earlier this year with this feature - I really like it. This plus a back up camera are the two best safety improvements to autos in recent years. I'll never buy another vehicle without them.

Ours has the rear camera which I think will be handy given the configuration of our driveway and garage although I now back out using mirrors with no problems. I passed on the Eyesight and some of the other new safety tech as the $3k cost for the package seemed high relative to the benefits.

I think that a rear camera will be required on all new vehicles beginning in 2018 but they are now standard on every Subaru.

Had family breakfast this morning, then made a couple batches of fresh salsa for dinner with friends tonight. Am with DD at our local university's womens soccer game (her Brownie troop are the ball girls today). Later this afternoon, we're going to an acrobatic performance sponsored by the awesome arts & lectures program at the university, then will have friends over for dinner (diy tacos) and the 49ers day.

Some laundry should probably happen in there, too.

Enjoying a 77 degree October day in ND. This does not happen very often.

Enjoying a 77 degree October day in ND. This does not happen very often.

Hopefully your home can suck up some of that sun and keep the house warm for a few extra days. I have no southern exposure and get almost no sunlight inside my home. It's 65 in my living room even though it's 75 outside:(

Trade ya.....

97F, hot winds...blaaahhh.....:(

Where is "Fall":confused:?

Oh, it's here all right. High 71°, sunny, nice day. Leaves are starting to turn.

I thought about mowing the grass, then decided it'll keep 'till Tuesday.

Is it time for that song already? "All the leaves are brown. And the sky is gray..."

Nah, too early. And where I am, it's back to the high 90s. Darn it! I was sweating bullets doing some woodworking in my garage today. It's ridiculous. Need to go up to my high-country place in a day or two to cool down.

It was a nice weekend here, so on Sat took advantage of the weather and painted all the trim on the house. Needing to get it done before winter sets in and is too cold to paint. Nice mild 70's and sunny. Between me and DW got all the trim painted. Rest of house is stucco, so no painting required.

Not my favorite thing to do painting, but it was needed to protect the wood.

Staining the trim on our house also. I'm done with the front and 2 sides (1 story). I need to finish the back (2 stories) and seal some gutter seams. It looks like we have about a week of good weather left, so I should be able to wrap this up in time.

- Got up late
- Allergy shots
- Car washed
- Cut grass
- Walked
- Napped - G w/o S
- Heading out to dinner

I'm really tired.

Today was a work holiday, so I practiced retirement. I went to the range in the morning and made many holes in pieces of paper. Then I went to the movies to see The Martian. After that, I tore out my rotted front porch step and replaced it. I primed everything before installation, but it got too dark to paint the top coat; perhaps tomorrow after work. I helped the young wife cook dinner after she got home, and I'm in the middle of cleaning up the kitchen.

I could repeat this type of thing every day if I only had the time.

Today was a work holiday, so I practiced retirement. I went to the range in the morning and made many holes in pieces of paper. Then I went to the movies to see The Martian. After that, I tore out my rotted front porch step and replaced it. I primed everything before installation, but it got too dark to paint the top coat; perhaps tomorrow after work. I helped the young wife cook dinner after she got home, and I'm in the middle of cleaning up the kitchen.

I could repeat this type of thing every day if I only had the time.

Yes, days like this give one food for thought. :)

6978-albums171-picture1165.gif

The weather here was beautiful.

Kids were out of school, so we hooked up the boat and took it out on the lake... only a few hours, but enjoyable as not many people were out there...

Yes, backup camera is fantastic.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Today included time with the kids (before and after school), time at work (taught this morning), time to run errands (batched them after work), time to read (picked up a bunch of library books while out running errands), time with friends (came over to visit this afternoon), more time with the kids, time to cook (dinner plus advance cooking for dinners later this week), then quiet time by myself to read and surf the web.

We even had thunderstorms and a little bit of rain today! Now if it wasn't so miserably hot and humid, I'd say it had been a great day.

Dove season ends here in Tx on the 25th so went out with a buddy of mine yesterday afternoon and got 12 birds to cook on the grill later today!

Started the day with a 'quick' four mile run as I was pressed for time, then hustled off to my Spanish class at our Lifelong Learning program. I had all our assigned homework done, not always the case I'm afraid, so I was feeling quite pleased as I left home.

Came home with a list of about 100 verbs to learn. Hmm, that will take a while. I find it takes about 50 uses/repetitions for new words to sink in . . . the brains not quite as pliant as when I first took Spanish in my teens.

Did the grocery shopping at two stores on the way home, having to double back at one point when I forgot to pick up blue cheese. Came home and started cooking up a storm in preparation for a four night RV trip this weekend with friends to enjoy Wine Harvest Weekend here in California. :)

Made a blue cheese dip (hence the doubling back to the store) using blue cheese, cream cheese and walnuts, plus chives and parsley I picked from my own herb garden. I also made the base of a basil/lime/grilled corn/wild rice salad to go along with our grilled chicken over the weekend, plus tossed together semi-vegetarian sloppy joes for dinner (turkey meat and chickpeas combined in a seasoned sauce).

Then, as I sat down to relax and watch a little Hulu, I remembered we were getting down to the wire on planning out the final details of an upcoming cruise. So I 'multi tasked' as I watched Hulu, booking out our pre-cruise rental car, hotel and activities, plus our port excursions.

And still my official to-do list sat untouched.

In general I love this pacing as it keeps me at a high level of intensity/activity/satisfaction, and it's how I've conducted my life since leaving home in my late teens, but every so often I will blow off everything and hunker down on the sofa to simply read the day away. That's usually enough to recharge me for another lap or two around the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom