what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had one of the most pleasurable rounds of golf that I have ever had. Met up with 5 friends for breakfast and then one guy went home (chores to be done) and 5 of us continued to the course. While I normally do not like playing as a fivesome, we did and pretty much had the course to ourselves being early November in northern New Hampshire. Two of us walked and the rest rode carts. The sun came on the 4th hole and I shed my sweater and pants and played the rest of the round in shorts and a golf shirt. Temp was in the 60s so it was very comfortable.

I played well for me (bogie train with a few pars here and there and a couple doubles) and between playing well, the beautiful sunny weather, a nice course, walking and the camaraderie of playing with good friends it was a great day. :dance:

That's my kind of day, only I would be one of the one's riding in a cart. :)

Yesterday I closed on my patio home purchase. A bitter sweet moment as I didn't enjoy parting with the funds, but really like the home. Although the houses are on postage stamp size lots, being on the golf course makes it seem as though you have a huge backyard. I'm really going to enjoy sitting on my covered back porch watching the sunset. Here's my backyard...........

Attachments

• patiohomegolf.jpg
    patiohomegolf.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 28
Nice back yard!! A new home is exciting.

We'll probably do some looking while we are in Florida this year but until we get to the point that we stay longer than 3 months and really know where we want to be it'll be hard to pull the trigger... but it is good to get a sense of what is out there and how it is priced.

I have not done much today, other than sipping my breakfast tea before taking a shower then heading to the airport.

The market sucked the last few days, but life is still good (knock on wood).

Congratulations! The first step!

Thanks! It felt good to finally put some money that's been sitting in a savingsa account for some time to work! Looking forward to many more steps :-D

Fledgling FIRee and Boglehead! :greetings10:

Indeed! I'm quite excited about beginning the path to FIRE and learning a lot from you fine folks [and other Boglehead's]! :wiseone:

Yesterday I closed on my patio home purchase. A bitter sweet moment as I didn't enjoy parting with the funds, but really like the home.

Congratulations! How beautiful to have the golf course as your back yard. Plus, you don't have to mow or maintain it. :D That will make your retirement so much sweeter than it would have been if you had to mow that much property.

I know what you mean about bitter sweet, but believe me, once you have settled in (and sold your old home, if that is the plan), then it's all good. I paid for my new Dream House in cash last summer before selling my prior home, and my hands were just shaking when I handed over that giant certified check to pay for my Dream House. But now that my prior home has sold, and the money from that is back in my portfolio replacing some of what I spent on the new house, it doesn't seem that bad at all any more. Also, every day I am so ecstatic to finally be living in a home that is so much nicer and easier for me to live in.

I am glad you really like your new home! Now you will probably be doing the same thing I have been doing this morning - - adding up all the costs of buying and selling, closing costs, inspections, moving, repairing the old home, renovating the new home to my liking, maintaining and paying utilities, insurance, and taxes on two homes instead of one for a while (if you had to do that), subtracting the proceeds from your old home, and so on, so that you can figure out how much it really cost overall. Honestly, for me it was SO worth it.

Last edited:
Went to the driver's license office and got the "corrective lenses" restriction removed from my license. They didn't even charge me anything for it!

I'm grateful to Walt34 for advising this. The folks at the office today confirmed his statement that it's certainly possible to get a ticket if you're in a traffic stop and not wearing glasses or contacts.

I wish the doctor's office would have mentioned this when I had my cataract surgery, but I guess it's not their field so they don't want to bother.

Sold the house.
Signed the paperwork.
Deposited the check.
Headed south.
In Lexington Kentucky.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Congratulations! How beautiful to have the golf course as your back yard. Plus, you don't have to mow or maintain it. :D That will make your retirement so much sweeter than it would have been if you had to mow that much property.

I know what you mean about bitter sweet, but believe me, once you have settled in (and sold your old home, if that is the plan), then it's all good. I paid for my new Dream House in cash last summer before selling my prior home, and my hands were just shaking when I handed over that giant certified check to pay for my Dream House. But now that my prior home has sold, and the money from that is back in my portfolio replacing some of what I spent on the new house, it doesn't seem that bad at all any more. Also, every day I am so ecstatic to finally be living in a home that is so much nicer and easier for me to live in.

I am glad you really like your new home! Now you will probably be doing the same thing I have been doing this morning - - adding up all the costs of buying and selling, closing costs, inspections, moving, repairing the old home, renovating the new home to my liking, maintaining and paying utilities, insurance, and taxes on two homes instead of one for a while (if you had to do that), subtracting the proceeds from your old home, and so on, so that you can figure out how much it really cost overall. Honestly, for me it was SO worth it.

True on all that. Actually, I have 3 houses including my coastal condo.:facepalm: But the house I inherited from my mother is real small and not worth a lot. Therefore not a lot of taxes, ins, utilities etc even if I have to hold onto it for several months. My overall SWR is still low even with all the extra expense. But I will feel better when I unload it. Not too worried about the condo as it has already increased in value based on units sold next to me. Real estate has been picking up in the area. Of course a hurricane would change that in a hurry.

Bottom line, I'm happy with my choices. Who knows how much time we have to live. Need to enjoy it while we can. Just found out one of my cousins(age 67) has ALS. Saw him a year ago and he looked fine. Now he is 65 lbs lighter, wearing a neck brace and walks with a cane. And his speech is slurred. I can't think of a more horrible way to go.

Who knows how much time we have to live. Need to enjoy it while we can.

+1000 on that. For me, living in my Dream House is something that means a lot to me and provides me with daily enjoyment. Just finally getting to take my daily shower in a shower that (for me) is absolutely perfect, pleasing, and safe for me as I grow older, puts a giant smile on my face, day after day. Honestly this house (while not expensive or a mansion) is so perfect for me that sometimes I can hardly believe I am living here.

So very sorry to read about your cousin's situation. How heartbreaking and I wish the best for him, you, and your family. We never know when we are the next ones to be afflicted by this sort of thing. Meanwhile, looking out on that golf course every morning is going to be so nice for a golfer like you and will surely put a giant smile on your face, too.

Yesterday I caught up on some office work during the day and at night we took the train into the city to see Dracula The Ballet. That was really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7OVRhuzxw Today we had a family outing at the de Young fine arts museum, followed by dinner at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant.

Last edited:
DW has tried retirement for the past 6+ months but, after some well deserved rest, she is ready to go back to work. She was offered her old job back and she will be heading to the office on Monday.

DW has tried retirement for the past 6+ months but, after some well deserved rest, she is ready to go back to work. She was offered her old job back and she will be heading to the office on Monday.

Wow, that is big news. I thought you had decided to move out of state. It is nice she has a choice of either working or not.

The plan is still to move back east in a couple of years. DW will probably get another job there.

What a surprise! But it sounds like good news, overall. You can probably get that Alabama house sold (if you still want to do that), while she is still working.

In the past few months, the real estate market in New Orleans has become uncharacteristically "hot". Prices have soared, and houses are selling quickly. If that happens in Alabama as well, you may find a better opportunity to sell and profit soon.

Also with your wife working for now and bringing in some income, you and she will have plenty of time to visit various potential retirement locations during her vacations. :)

Took my FIRST Lego League team to their qualifying tournament yesterday.

The bad - they had terrible performance on their robot runs.
The good - they one FIRST PLACE in their Trash Trek project.

The project had to be an innovative solution to address the issues with trash/land fill, etc. Most teams had recycling mobile app type solutions. My son's team had a very tangible solution - replace the hot dog and hamburger wrappers that are made with laminated foil (not recyclable and not compostable) with a 2 sheet (non laminated) solution of aluminum foil (recyclable) and unbleached, soy based, waxed paper (eco friendly deli wraps) which are compostable. They presented their idea 2 weeks ago to a Costco food court manager and got a very positive response - she gave the contact info for the regional food court sales manager, and they sent a proposal letter to him. It helped the team yesterday that they are in active dialogue with Costco. Turns out our local Costco already sends food waste from the warehouse store to a local worm farm - so the waxed paper from hot dogs could be added to that.

I'm proud of the team.

Unfortunately, they aren't moving on to the Southern California regionals because their robot performance wasn't good enough. But they have a nice trophy from yesterday.

Mowed the "front 40" hopefully for the last time this year. Drained the fuel from the string trimmer, leaf blower (used only for clearing the sidewalk & driveway now) and sidewalk trimmer since I'm done with those for the year.

Went for coffee 15 miles in the next town, 'cause DW wanted 2 bags of dark cedar mulch from the garden place there. Back home placed said mulch bags in the area designated by DW. Chopped up a few oak logs for firewood kindling.

Done with doing anything useful for the rest of the day.

This morning I helped DH move a pile of gravel that was blocking access to the spot where a shed will be delivered tomorrow. Then I went for a run. Now I plan to spend the rest of the day watching football.

I went to do a grocery run and I had a dead battery . SO removed battery went to store and bought new battery and installed it . Yeah SO !

Made it home.
Did some unpacking.
Will unload the back of the truck tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom