Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #15161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Meadbh, make sure you visit Brooks Point - that is where I have been getting up close and personal with orcas for the past 20 years. A more beautiful spot you will be hard pressed to find.
Many thanks for the recommendation, Sea Kayaker! We spent an idyllic afternoon there today. We saw sea otters and seals, but no orcas. Tomorrow we are going whalewatching!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (626.8 KB, 21 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #15162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was a productive day - I gave informal notice to my boss. She has passed it on to her boss, and the Board of Directors will hear about it on Wednesday. I guess this makes it official, July 1, 2015 is the end of 22 1/2 years at the same company!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #15163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
Today was a productive day - I gave informal notice to my boss. She has passed it on to her boss, and the Board of Directors will hear about it on Wednesday. I guess this makes it official, July 1, 2015 is the end of 22 1/2 years at the same company!
Hope that works out OK for you. No way I would let Megacorp know I was leaving 10 months ahead of time. Gives them too many opportunities to screw you over.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #15164

At the cardiac rehab class I was bemoaning the fact that despite eating (mostly) healthy and hitting the gym 6 days a week I was still gaining a few pounds.

Today was a reassessment day, including BMI and they informed me that the "extra" weight is all muscle mass. Total fat is down.

Just another "D'oh moment" for me.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #15165
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1411417297.848691.jpg

Got quarterly lab work done, bought pumpkins for yard, went to cleaners....took nap. Productive day!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #15166
Give me a forum ...

Making an offer on a house tomorrow - - wish me luck! If my offer is accepted, I'll post all about the house. If not, then sour grapes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #15167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hope that works out OK for you. No way I would let Megacorp know I was leaving 10 months ahead of time. Gives them too many opportunities to screw you over.
I work for a smaller company where the clients are the owners, and I have a good relationship with most of the clients. There are several directors who have/will continue to try and talk me out of leaving. I do know where some skeletons are buried and they know it!

All in all, it is both a great day and a sad one as I have made the step!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #15168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Making an offer on a house tomorrow - - wish me luck! If my offer is accepted, I'll post all about the house. If not, then sour grapes.
Great! in NOLA?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #15169

Quote:
Making an offer on a house tomorrow
That's exciting. Been looking at it for a while, or just found it?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #15170
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I went out to lunch at one of our favorite places. Slow cooked meats in a wood fired oven. You could smell the wood and BBQ in the air a half mile away.

Add into that the seasonal bonus. The winery next door is busy. It's harvest time in the valley, and the grape crush is in full swing. Hundreds of trucks loaded with grapes on the road, the crush sheds in operation, and that musty grape and yeast smell is everywhere right now. Combine with wood smoke and BBQ, and THAT is the smell of autumn arriving here.

Life is good.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #15171
Give me a forum ...

Just another day of loafin' around in Nova Scotia, driving some coastal back roads, walking some small towns, taking photos.

Then, at the end of the day, kick my feet up in the motorhome, pouring meself a tasty local IPA.

Life is good, even though two days ago it got down to 38F at night, and the campground power was barely enough for one electric heater and I did not want to run the motorhome propane furnace to avoid having to drive it around looking for a refilling station.

Quote:
Good luck to you!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #15172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea you were serious about a move. I hope it works out for you!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #15173
Give me a forum ...

Had an awesome whalewatching day with at least 20 playful orcas, then back to our resort for a soak in the hot tub. 😎
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (541.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #15174

Went to Italian class. Got back my second test (that I took a week ago). 97%. Woot woot. Unfortunately, no time to rest in my glory.... we have another test next Monday and we're dealing with irregular verbs (andare, fare, stare) plus a boatload of regular verbs. My head is about to explode because of cramming this much stuff into it. I'll get an A in the class - but only through sheer willpower and brute force.
what did you do today?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #15175
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just another day of loafin' around in Nova Scotia, driving some coastal back roads, walking some small towns, taking photos.

!
Beautiful pictures....yes life sounds and looks very good! Continue enjoying and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #15176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Great! in NOLA?
Thanks, and yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's exciting. Been looking at it for a while, or just found it?
Thanks. Just a couple of days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Good luck to you!
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow, I had no idea you were serious about a move. I hope it works out for you!
Thanks!

Honestly, I seriously doubt I'll get it. But if I do, I'll post all the details.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #15177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took a break from kitchen remodeling and went for a walk. Stopped at my favorite sushi place. Picked up a set of shears for my compressor, and cut up twenty years worth of license plates (ok - only 15 years worth) and tossed them in the trash. Took out the garbage. Watched TV. Put some fun shots of ducks in competitive diving on the Photographers thread. The Ducks were sitting on a wall, and after I focussed in on them, DW would walk up behind them until they dove into the water lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #15178
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1411440565.414521.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #15179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Beautiful pictures....yes life sounds and looks very good! Continue enjoying and thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind comment. I am not really into photography, but simply enjoy snapping travel photos to remind myself later of these happy moments.

It could be the time we enjoyed salad and chowder at a sidewalk cafe...

Or admired the vibrant colors of produce at an open market...

Or watched wedding ceremonies at the Halifax Citadel, with the bride, groom, and guests in costume...

Or merely observed fellow humans enjoying their activities...

It makes me love life more. It would also keep one from devolving into misanthropy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
what did you do today?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #15180
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

@NW Bound, to me your pictures capture the joy of life and happiness. Love the tablescape and pepper.

@seraphim, the leaves and purple flowers feel like autumn, nice picture for Facebook cover or iPad screen. Thank you!
Closed Thread