Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #1521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a normal working day for me (good stuff). But, here's a physician's dream day at the office (or the ER):

breaking news - national news - world news - azcentral.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #1522
Give me a forum ...

<drum roll> ratta tatta tatta tat....
I am pleased to announce that summer is coming to East Nowhere.
Weather forecast is for temps in the MID TO HIGH 80's, no rain or T-storms.
Wooooooo Hoooooooooooo
Bring on the tropical heat, baby.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #1523
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, two years ago this coming July when I first joined the forum, I thought that I would be retired by the time I wrote my 1000th post....THIS IS IT GUYS, 1000 Ramblin Rambler posts...and still not FIREd. I'm gonna guess there will be about 2000 more before I get to pull the plug. Bets anyone?

Oh, also noted that Rich is now 11% retired instead of 10%. I guess he gets to take off 24 extra minutes a week. Good for Rich!

R
Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #1524
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Well, two years ago this coming July when I first joined the forum, I thought that I would be retired by the time I wrote my 1000th post....THIS IS IT GUYS, 1000 Ramblin Rambler posts...and still not FIREd. I'm gonna guess there will be about 2000 more before I get to pull the plug. Bets anyone?

Oh, also noted that Rich is now 11% retired instead of 10%. I guess he gets to take off 24 extra minutes a week. Good for Rich!

R
Congrats on 1000 !
Put my dollar on a total of 1958 (my birth year) posts.
Take heart. You have the right attitude, you have the goal set, so you will make it happen.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #1525
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, two years ago this coming July when I first joined the forum, I thought that I would be retired by the time I wrote my 1000th post....THIS IS IT GUYS, 1000 Ramblin Rambler posts...and still not FIREd. I'm gonna guess there will be about 2000 more before I get to pull the plug.
Well, I sure have a lot more than 1000 posts and still have nearly six months to go. (Congrats on your 1000th post, by the way! )

At this point the days are speeding by, though, so I can't feel too sorry for myself. I plan to ease into ER by taking a four 1-2 week vacations in September and October with just a week of working between them. So, in a little over 3 months the pressure will be off for the most part.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #1526
Full time employment: Posting here.

Laundry....it's a good thing I like doing it otherwise I would be screwed!
Cleaning lady is coming over, I will be shredding and getting rid of things.
Massage scheduled for 4:30pm
Meeting
Another massage at 9pm
Making appointments, decorating the massage room, located display cases for the gift items I will be selling.
Need to order empty bottles for my line of aromatherapy products.
Slowly but surely, the business is taking on life
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #1527
Give me a forum ...

We're getting ready for the trip back to California (From Kansas City). We just realized that, unfortunately, tomorrow is the start of Memorial Day weekend, and all those pesky wage slaves with their "holidays" will be out there sucking up the available campsites.

We're going to leave early tomorrow and head due north to escape the heat.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #1528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Just a normal working day for me (good stuff). But, here's a physician's dream day at the office (or the ER):

breaking news - national news - world news - azcentral.com
Great story. The guy had courage; if it had gone badly I can imagine the second guessing, and in the US at least, the lawsuits. I guess they would not have had time to autoclave the bit- do you suppose they just gave it a quick Clorox sterilization? Or hit it with a propane torch?

Ha
Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #1529

90-mile motorcycle ride on the back roads of West-by-God-Virginia on a beautiful cloudless day with temps in the low 80's.

DW is applying for a job with the Feds so I got out of the house while she deals with the hair-pulling frustration of the incredible documentation and paperwork requirements. Best thing I can do for her during times like this is go away. She is admittedly torn about going back to work full time (would prefer part time) but wants something she feels is productive to do.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #1530
Give me a forum ...

Dropped off a captured chipmunk at its new lakefront home.
Doggie tuneup at vet. My Rocket Dog got a little pi**y with the vet when she tried to do the kennel cough in the nose trick. So an injection was used instead.
Joined dh2b for lunch at one of those small Italian neighborhood places where people eat heartily, everyone talks LOUDly, and treat you like old friends. Plenty of cut-your-own provolone cheese, hot peppers and fresh bread as a free appetizer.
Went for a short 'Stang ride and blew the carbon out a little.
Finished up the screened porch floor staining, finally. This has been a long drawn out project due to the 2 day complete curing process. Stain is similar to Thompson's water seal and stays sticky on day 2. So glad that's done.
Ignoring a gory sci-fi movie called Descent. dh2b likes this stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #1531
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a nice lunch with a friend.
Picked up display cases and dragged them up a flight of stairs.
Re-arranged a few things, gave away a few things to my neighbors downstairs, and set up the merchandise.
Ordered more sheets and did some research on retail that I could sell.
Went out to dinner with another friend, picked up a great Brazilian Lullaby cd to use for massages.
Definitely ready for bed...got new FLUFFY pillows....ah
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #1532
Give me a forum ...

Finally got a good night's sleep last night. Got up around 10 and talked to a friend for quite a while. Pondered working out in the yard, but decided not to as it looked as if it were going to rain. Ate some eggplant parm, watched a little tv. Talked to another friend.

Wondering now if I'll sleep well tonight.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #1533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
R
I'll take a piece of the action. I'm going to say your 1175th post will be all about you hanging it up and posting one of these little guys....
Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #1534
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Great story. The guy had courage; if it had gone badly I can imagine the second guessing, and in the US at least, the lawsuits. I guess they would not have had time to autoclave the bit- do you suppose they just gave it a quick Clorox sterilization? Or hit it with a propane torch?

Ha

Autoclaving can be done in a little over three minutes for a single item .
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #1535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Autoclaving can be done in a little over three minutes for a single item .
Thanks Moe...Ex OR Nurse to the rescue!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #1536
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Cleanliness is good. Moe is right: 3 minutes in the autoclave. But if I had to choose between dirty and and dead, I'd choose dirty. Ask Natasha Richardson.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #1537

Reading this forum I see how different you are from us Spaniards. When we early retire, we donīt feel in the need to do something "productive" or "useful". Maybe itīs because we tend to think that "working" is/has been a curse. Here in Spain very lucky few do like their job and canīt afford to quit in search of another that would suit them.
Iīm more or less an example of a Spanish early retiree well pensioned. I have a flat in the centre of a 75.000 city and a house in the country. I spend time in them according to the weather. My wife works. Civel sevant and no early retirement for her...
How do I spend my time? Nothing exciting Iīm afraid. Iīm an early riser. Watch the news and the political talk shows (usual bull from the usual crooks) , play the guitar (an overstatement) do 10/12 km of cycling (intent on falling a fourth time in a year) listen to American/British audiobooks, read more English in the way of crime fiction (hope it shows in my posts, all this English). And ...I stand by at the disposal of my wife when she comes home from work (this is the interesting part of my daily routine).
Well, now my wife has to vie with you all for my attention. Who is winning my attention is my secret. I can say she is a bit wary of this new hobby of mine since she doesnīt know more than three words in English.
Rather wordy this post. Iīll try to be more concise in the next one.
Regards.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #1538

"When we early retire, we donīt feel in the need to do something "productive" or "useful""

Ive never felt that way. Im a pretty lazy guy.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
"When we early retire, we donīt feel in the need to do something "productive" or "useful""

Ive never felt that way. Im a pretty lazy guy.
Nice to hear that. I was starting to believe I was some sort of a weirdo.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #1540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Finally got a good night's sleep last night. Got up around 10 and talked to a friend for quite a while. Pondered working out in the yard, but decided not to as it looked as if it were going to rain. Ate some eggplant parm, watched a little tv. Talked to another friend.

Wondering now if I'll sleep well tonight.
Glad you are sleeping better,bbbamI.

BTW, could you post your eggpant parm recipe?

PS-Me too!

Ha