Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #15441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Freebird. I love your ideas about using the dividends for charity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You are a good citizen, Freebird!
Thanks folks.

I was brought up in a family where money was very tight. Several people I knew helped me by hiring me for odd jobs, mother's helper, and whatever it took to help me achieve my dream of going to college.

Now it's MY turn.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #15442

Gym and grocery store, bought the fixin's for another pot of beef stew. That will cook overnight and be ready in time for breakfast. Yum! Tomorrow is forecast to be cold so we'll need it.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #15443
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw the movie John Wick due to the high 80's approval on Rotten Tomato's. What a terrible movie. Non stop stupid killing, no plot, and just boring. How can they put out movies like that? What a waste of time.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #15444
Moderator Emeritus

Installed my new flagpole, flag and light. 40 mph winds forecast for tomorrow will put it to the test.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #15445
Give me a forum ...

Frank and I went to lunch and then spent the afternoon sitting in a laundromat, washing/drying my comforter. My older washer isn't big enough to wash it at home.

He brought his Kindle, and I brought my 3DS XL gaming console, and the time passed quickly. Patience is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #15446
Give me a forum ...

Mainly errands today. Took two broken monitors to Staples to be recycled, donated some of the garage decluttering stuff to Goodwill, went to the bank, hardware and grocery store.

I used to have a free business checking account at the local bank. Somewhere along the line they started charging me $15 a month service charge. Today I checked their site and they put a charge on my checking account type and then offered a new kind of business checking with no charge. Sneaky! So I went and changed to to the new account type with no fee again.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #15447
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of free checking, JP Morgan Chase gives free checking accounts to Veterans. I've had mine for years. No charge for anything including bill pay.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #15448
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday, for the first time in many years, I bought a new toilet seat. I haven't been doing that many exciting things lately, and as many of my Facebook friends post about all the exciting things they do, and all the beautiful people they are hanging out with, I thought I would tell them all that I bought a toilet seat. This is what I just posted on Facebook -

"There's something that I'd like to share with you, and that is the fact that yesterday, I bought a toilet seat. It has been many years since I last bought a toilet seat. In fact I don't, as a rule, make a habit of buying toilet seats. It's not that I have any particular aversion to them, or to the idea of acquiring them. It's just that unless you're a building contractor, it's not very often in a person's lifetime that the need, or even desire, to head out to the hardware store and purchase a toilet seat occurs. It just doesn't happen that often and as such, is a rare experience in the lifetime of most of us.

Yesterday was all about toilet seats for me. I've been thinking for a while that I needed a new one, as the one that was currently fixed to my very old toilet in this very old house left much to be desired, and was the cause of some embarrassment to me when guests, particularly female ones (who tend to me more particular about where they park their derrieres), visited. Like most necessary household tasks, I kept putting this one off until today, when I thought to myself, "How hard can this be? I'll go to Home Depot, buy a toilet seat, come home with it, and put it on! It'll be over in a jiffy!

Which is what I did. I did actually make the mistake of buying the wrong size, an act that necessitated my returning in order to purchase the correct size. It had never occurred to me that my bowl was round instead of elongated. The things you learn.........

On arriving at Home Depot, with a strong sense of purpose, I made my way to aisle 35, where all the available seats were stacked on shelves, each one with a display model bolted to the front of the shelf. There are two sizes of seat - round, and elongated, and several different materials. The very cheapest are the enameled wood models, which you can buy for as little as $5.47 + tax. This was the same type as my existing seat, and when the enamel wears off, the wood starts soaking up any moisture and, well, mine, which looked to be about 300 years old, was in a shameful state. Shameful. For $6, I should have replaced it long ago.

Then there are the soft squishy toilet seats - the ones covered in a soft and pliable plastic with an artificial "grain". They make me shudder. I don't know about you, but the idea of attempting to make the act of sitting on the toilet an enjoyable, even pleasurable one, offends me slightly. Perhaps it has something to do with my being English, or Catholic, or both, but at a very basic level, it doesn't seem right. God-fearing Christians don't sit on warm and squishy seats when conducting their business. Perching on the loo should, in my estimation, be a relatively spartan experience, achieved through the use of a hard wooden or plastic seat, and nothing more. Obviously, this type of near-sinful seat was out of the question for me (and besides, the grainy plastic finish seems a little unhygienic).

I decided on a hard plastic one for a number of reasons which I won't bore you with here, as I have already bored you enough.There were several different grades of hard plastic seat. For around $8, you could purchase a very basic and lightweight model. It was OK, but seemed just a little bit flighty and insubstantial. When I do my business, I want to do it on a seat that means business, and not on the cheap lightweight model. Next, made of a thicker and slightly heavier plastic, was the serviceable and dependable $20 seat. It was the one I would finally decide on, but not before I had flirted with the idea of the luxurious $35 plastic seat, manufactured with a very dense plastic that reeked of solidity and quiet, self-assured permanence. It was hard plastic, yet in it's unflinching way, spelled uncompromising luxury of the sensible kind. I wanted this seat, but $35 seemed to be a bit much to spend just so that I could sit on the toilet. I am not a frivolous person, so I denied myself this seat.

Then I saw it. For $50, there was a seat that took 4 x AA batteries and was lit up by blue LED's. It had a dual light. When the seat was down, the blue "guide light" was active. It was controlled by a timer (set by the user) so that it was turned on all night. Then, when you lifted the lid, it switched over to a white "task light". On finishing your duties and putting the lid down again, the white light switched back to the mode where the rim was highlighted once again by blue LED light. Such decadence! Such bravery in toilet seat design! For a few heady seconds, I toyed with the idea of foolishly splurging $50 on this seat for the sheer novelty of having a lighted seat on which to perform my private duties. I mean, I don't own a car, so my potential for impressing women is severely limited. Perhaps, if I owned this lighted seat, females would swoon on seeing their bottoms bathed in blue light from the LED's powered by 4 x AA batteries. I may be about to turn 51, but it might not be too late to grasp just a few more years of swinging bachelor living from the looming jaws of impending old age.........

But of course, I decided on the solid and sensible $20 hard plastic model. It might not be exciting but really, excitement is not what you are looking for when visiting the smallest room. There is one bonus to the one I finally decided on, and that is that it is a "slow-close" model. The lid closes in a very slow and controlled fashion so as to avoid loud and awkward thunks in the middle of the night. Sprout, my 2 1/2 year-old kitty is absolutely fascinated with it. It's quite a joy to watch her little bottom wiggling from side to side like a tennis player about to serve, as she fixes her gaze on the seat when it closes oh-so-very-slowly, and prepares to pounce. Seeing her so tantalized by my new toilet seat in this fashion gives me a pleasure far greater than anything a flashy executive seat with a blue lighted rim could possibly offer.

Many of my Facebook friends seem to be doing terribly exciting things. As you post pictures taken in foreign countries and exotic locales, images of the wonderful food you are eating in trendy and hip restaurants, and details of all the beautiful, creative, talented and lovely people you are hanging out with, just spare a thought for me. However unique, creative, and enviable your experience that you posted about on Facebook was today, I bet you didn't do what I did yesterday.

Because yesterday, I bought a sensible and very serviceable toilet seat."

Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #15449
Moderator Emeritus

Great post, Major Tom! You made the experience of buying a toilet seat a must read.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #15450
Moderator Emeritus

OMG Major T, that is hilarious! If we had a budget you can be sure we would immediately add a "toilet seat replacement" line to it and delete the entire "travel" line. You will have to update your toiletseatbuying journal when you get a review from a derriere or two.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #15451
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Tom, how about a picture of the new seat? (and one of the old one if you still have it)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #15452
Give me a forum ...

The "Throne of Silence"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #15453
Give me a forum ...

Life is always exciting, if one knows how to live it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #15454
Give me a forum ...

Major Tom, if it makes you feel any better I made exactly the same error regarding toilet seat size. Who knew that toilet seats came in two different shapes? Luckily Home Depot is used to this mistake, and they let me exchange my round seat for an oval one without blinking an eye.

I had no idea that the wooden toilet seats start looking crummy after a few years. I'll add that to my mental list of helpful things we learn on this forum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #15455
Give me a forum ...

Nothing better than solid plastic white toilet seats to keep clean, by wiping down with Clorox.

Seats with porous wood? Seats with softie foam inserts?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Toilets!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #15456
Moderator Emeritus

Toilets!

When we moved into our 12 year old "downsized" smaller home last year, the first thing I did was replace the two "builder supplied" toilets with new units. I bought Kohler Cimarron (I think) Series "comfort height" toilets with slow close seats. One unit was elongated and one round.

Nothing like having new toilets and seats!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #15457
Recycles dryer sheets

Crazy day. Up early to start this recipe, which already smells divine: Mexican Short Ribs with Dried Cherries

Then a 7 mile run, quick sweep of guest bedroom for company tonight (DD and new GD!), a couple of nearby errands, several emails to a 200 mile relay group I'm organizing and doing in early 2015 (Ragnar Relay), bake pumpkin muffins for a breakfast tomorrow with friends, then a walk tonight with DD and our new GD through our neighborhood to show off her cuteness to friends for Halloween.

If I have any downtime, I'm working an an adorable needlepoint project for new GD.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #15458
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
.... There is one bonus to the one I finally decided on, and that is that it is a "slow-close" model. The lid closes in a very slow and controlled fashion so as to avoid loud and awkward thunks in the middle of the night. ...
Great post! As I was reading, I kept screaming (in my mind) "Don't pass by the 'slow-close' models!", but I see you found those. One of the great advances IMO. One downside - you will get so used to this, that when you go to someone else's home, you have to remember not to let the seat slam down!

We replaced both upstairs toilet seats this summer before we had house guests, and I was also amazed at the variety on that wall at Home Depot! Odd thing is, the ones I was replacing had an "E-Z" release mechanism, so you could just twist a little thingee, and pop the seat off for easy cleaning. Basically, you install plastic studs in the holes, and the seat clips onto those studs. They should standardize those studs, so replacing a toilet seat would not involve unscrewing from underneath.

I also saw the lighted seat, and was tempted! I guess the idea of another thing that eats batteries was not appealing to me. They need a little turbine built in to recharge from the flushing water

-ERD50
Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #15459
Administrator

Just got back from the Ophthalmologist. He removed a stitch from my eye and gave me a thumbs us. Things are looking good
Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #15460
Moderator Emeritus

Great news, Michael!
Closed Thread