Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #15461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ERD50 - I was sorely tempted by the models you mention that have the arrangement whereby you can lift them up in order to clean around the bolts that fix them to the porcelain. That feature, along with the slow-close idea, are two very worthy advances in seat design, IMO.

Tempting as the lit seat was, lights, wires and batteries all seemed like things that could reduce the long-term serviceability of what should, I think, be a simple yet well-designed product.

I'm not quite sure what possessed me to write this story late last night. Ideally, I would have like to have taken another few days to refine it, clean up the grammar, and incorporate a few new thoughts. However, as I sat here on my own at 3 o' clock in the morning, I really just wanted to get it out so that I could move on.

I did spend some time standing in aisle 53 at Home Depot staring at the seat with blue LED's and wondering what kind of person would purchase such a product? Never in my whole life have I been in a house that has an automatically lit toilet seat. This could either be because they don't sell very well, or perhaps there is a whole class of people who purchase them, the likes of which I rarely mingle with in the course of my daily life. What I'm trying to understand is, what kind of person purchases a toilet seat that has blue LED lights and takes 4 x AA batteries? Exactly what sort of person and furthermore - have I ever walked past one of these types on the street? What do they look like? Does the act of bathing their bottoms with blue light give them an overall vigor that the rest of us will never experience?

There are so many questions, and life is so brief

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #15462

LED-lighted toilet seat equals "frat house" chic in my mind.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #15463

here's someone who found a use for the old toilet seats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10505351_10152552061514063_6637070271302575471_n.jpg (42.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #15464

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Major Tom, if it makes you feel any better I made exactly the same error regarding toilet seat size. Who knew that toilet seats came in two different shapes? Luckily Home Depot is used to this mistake, and they let me exchange my round seat for an oval one without blinking an eye.

I had no idea that the wooden toilet seats start looking crummy after a few years. I'll add that to my mental list of helpful things we learn on this forum.
Yes - Home Depot's return policy has helped me out on a number of occasions. It certainly is helpful when you're standing in the aisles, unsure of exactly what size of screw/nail/drill bit etc you need.

I think it takes many years for the basic wooden enameled seats to start looking particularly bad. I wouldn't be surprised if my seat had been in place since the current owner bought the house I'm living in, in around 1980. Given how cheap they are (around $6), they are a very viable option for those who don't want to spend more than the very minimum.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #15465
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yep its tough to find a guy 6'4" tall that weighs about 150
Not hard for me to find a guy that tall and thin. I just have to look in a mirror. I'm 6'5" 173lbs. I was 10 lbs lighter a couple years ago. I have a cousin who's 16 years old and almost 6'8", 155lbs. It's not That uncommon.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #15466
Moderator Emeritus

This must be my designated 'Lawyer Stuff' day. FedEx Overnight thinks so, anyway.

Filed another patent application. That's three this year, I think. It's a tweak of an older one, what's called a 'continuation application.'

I've got some other legal paperwork on a class action I'm involved with, and a check from antitrust litigation that should cover my beer budget for a little while.

I'm SUPPOSED to be retired. :-)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #15467

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Crazy day. Up early to start this recipe, which already smells divine: Mexican Short Ribs with Dried Cherries

I think I can smell it from here!
I can't access the recipe via the link. Would you PM it to me? I think DH would love it. 😍
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #15468

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nothing better than solid plastic white toilet seats to keep clean, by wiping down with Clorox.
I was wondering about that. I have always used some kind of disinfectant (I currently use Simple Green) to clean my toilets and toilet seats. However, this new plastic seat came with a note indicating that no cleaner other than warm soapy water should be used on it.

I rather like something a bit stronger than soap and water when it comes to cleaning my bathroom, so I assume it was just the standard notification to protect them from liability should someone decide to clean their new plastic toilet seat with tirewall cleaner, or engine degreaser

Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #15469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I did spend some time standing in aisle 53 at Home Depot staring at the seat with blue LED's and wondering what kind of person would purchase such a product? Never in my whole life have I been in a house that has an automatically lit toilet seat. This could either be because they don't sell very well, or perhaps there is a whole class of people who purchase them, the likes of which I rarely mingle with in the course of my daily life. What I'm trying to understand is, what kind of person purchases a toilet seat that has blue LED lights and takes 4 x AA batteries? Exactly what sort of person and furthermore - have I ever walked past one of these types on the street? What do they look like? Does the act of bathing their bottoms with blue light give them an overall vigor that the rest of us will never experience?

There are so many questions, and life is so brief
I will admit to being intrigued by this product to the degree that I even looked it up. And you didn't mention that there is a heated model for the ultimate in toilet seat luxury! This addition would raise our standard of living to a new height.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brondell-...0-RW/203434470

Quote:
PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Model # L60-RW

Internet # 203434470

The LumaWarm heated nightlight toilet seat offers the luxury and comfort of a heated seat with the added convenience of a soothing illuminating LED nightlight. There's nothing more jarring than turning on the bathroom light in the middle of the night and sitting down on a freezing cold toilet seat. With the LumaWarm, you will be guided by the soft illuminating glow of the blue nightlight and comforted by the soothing heated seat, set to your personal temperature preference. With 3 temperature setting options (low-med-high), the LumaWarm is comfortable all year round. The elegant built in nightlight has a simple on/off button and LED light bulb that is energy efficient and long lasting. The LumaWarm heated nightlight toilet seat quickly and easily replaces any existing toilet seat and is adjustable for a perfect fit on any standard fixture. As with all Brondell toilet seats, the LumaWarm has a gentle closing seat and lid with superior style and quality you won't find anywhere else. The LumaWarm heated nightlight toilet seat is a must-have for every bathroom. Don't lose anymore sleep, get the LumaWarm today and start living in luxury and comfort.
  • Adjustable heated seat (3 temperature settings + off position)
  • Illuminating LED nightlight (blue color)
  • Gentle closing seat and lid
  • Simple intuitive controls
  • Fits all standard toilet fixtures