Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #17701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Most of my major symptoms are sleep disruption, low energy, and general crabbiness.
I have all those symptoms. Must be womenopause...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #17702
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have all those symptoms. Must be womenopause...
Or Men Who Pause.....
Old 07-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #17703
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm in Denver for a few days. A good friend is having a tumor removed from his brain. His wife is grateful to have someone there to sit with her. I have heard of others with this kind of operation who came out fine, but it is still very worrisome. Prayers would be appreciated.
He left the hospital yesterday about noon. That is just amazing! I was talking to him in post-op Thursday at noon and Friday at noon he was sent home. That is after surgery to remove a tumor fairly deep in his brain! He is doing good so far. Lots of thanks to God and lots of thanks to the surgical and nursing teams at University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, CO.

Hermit
Old 07-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #17704

Excellent news, Hermit! He is fortunate to have such a good friend in you - I pray that his recovery will continue smoothly and there will be no after effects.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #17705
Give me a forum ...

Showered, made a savoury omelette for breakfast, read the news online, practiced driving and putting at my local golf course, visited the farmers' market and bought fresh basil, oregano, apricots and cherries, dried lavender, apricot jam and peach salsa. Planning to spend time at the pool this afternoon. It's too hot for anything else!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #17706
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.
I upped my high magnesium foods years ago to stop heart palpitations, which worked great, but also symptoms like tight muscles improved as well.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #17707
Moderator Emeritus

Tripped, face-planted and slammed my head hard on my concrete driveway. Ow! I'm fine but you know how head scrapes are, so there was a huge amount of blood all over me and the driveway and it took a while to get it stopped. The point of impact was the bone under my left outer eyebrow. Ice, neosporin, and bandaids all helped once the bleeding stopped and it was cleaned up. My glasses were very badly bent but F bent them back to normal for me. My pretty light pink blouse is covered with blood so that looked pretty spectacular until I changed.

At the time, I was carrying my laundry out to the car with plans to do it at F's house, because my washer won't be delivered until tomorrow. i always knew that laundry was a dangerous task to be avoided at all costs!

Anyway, after it is done we'll be back to our daily routine. That's enough excitement for one day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #17708
Moderator Emeritus

Geesh, W2R! Have F come over and pick up your laundry! You need to kick back and recover for a while.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #17709
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Geesh, W2R! Have F come over and pick up your laundry! You need to kick back and recover for a while.
We are both over at his house by now, and he is doing my laundry for me while I post here on my iphone.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #17710

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We are both over at his house by now, and he is doing my laundry for me while I post here on my iphone.
Holy Cow! You are lucky.......is this how you get Frank to do the laundry.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #17711

sorted and scanned another box of pictures while I slow roasted some ribs, made my own bbq sauce, and tried out a few new recipes all while doing 5 loads of laundry...thank god without any of the drama W2R had (glad your ok).

had to be nice to my honey as he is interviewing again this week (6th interview.. seems like overkill at this point), but it means I wont see him for 2 days and if he gets it it means moves moving again after just 4 months (ie. all the more incentive to get through the boxes and get rid of anything else I can). So nothing like pre-prepping to move just in case.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #17712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
As the spouse of a menopausal woman, I hope it ends soon!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Not as fervently as she does, I can assure you!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #17713

Wow, W2R be careful with those dangerous tasks! Glad to hear there was no serious injury other than to pride.

Yesterday we went down to DW's uncle's place on the Patuxent River near Solomons (you can see the bridge from his back yard) for the annual July 4th family gathering and crabs caught from his dock. Everyone brings a dish or something and as usual there more food than anyone could hope to eat, although I did my best. The fireworks were rained out by a thunderstorm so we missed that part but otherwise the weather was perfect - relatively low humidity and temps around 80 F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooked_bay_crabs.jpg (169.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Live_Marylandcrab.jpg (188.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Ronnie's_dock.jpg (123.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Ronnie's_dock_2.jpg (162.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #17714

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tripped, face-planted and slammed my head hard on my concrete driveway. Ow! I'm fine but you know how head scrapes are, so there was a huge amount of blood all over me and the driveway and it took a while to get it stopped. The point of impact was the bone under my left outer eyebrow. Ice, neosporin, and bandaids all helped once the bleeding stopped and it was cleaned up. My glasses were very badly bent but F bent them back to normal for me. My pretty light pink blouse is covered with blood so that looked pretty spectacular until I changed.

At the time, I was carrying my laundry out to the car with plans to do it at F's house, because my washer won't be delivered until tomorrow. i always knew that laundry was a dangerous task to be avoided at all costs!

Anyway, after it is done we'll be back to our daily routine. That's enough excitement for one day.
Wow W2R, your post made me woozy just reading it. Hope everything heals up OK.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #17715
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Holy Cow! You are lucky.......is this how you get Frank to do the laundry.
Thanks! I think I discovered a great technique for getting help with the laundry. It apparently worked although I wouldn't recommend it as standard procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
sorted and scanned another box of pictures while I slow roasted some ribs, made my own bbq sauce, and tried out a few new recipes all while doing 5 loads of laundry...thank god without any of the drama W2R had (glad your ok).
Thanks! Believe me, it was such drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, W2R be careful with those dangerous tasks! Glad to hear there was no serious injury other than to pride.
Ha ha! So true, I seem to be just fine. Laundry is dangerous stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Wow W2R, your post made me woozy just reading it. Hope everything heals up OK.
It was worth getting woozy over, believe me! I didn't tell you about the pool of blood on the driveway about 6"-8" in diameter, how when I first tried to touch the wound blood came pouring down my hand and arm, how the whole front of my blouse was covered with blood, not to mention my purse and legs... head wounds are a mess! Thank goodness my laundry landed right beside me so I grabbed a dark brown towel and applied pressure so eventually the bleeding stopped. Then we cleaned and disinfected the wound and applied ice to minimize the swelling.

I am all better now and sitting in my easy chair. Other than the spectacular head wound, I also banged up my left knee (which isn't abraded but will probably get a colorful bruise on it), and skinned my right hand a little bit. I intend to remain planted here in my easy chair as much as possible between now and bedtime just to play it safe. Sometimes we are just so lucky!

Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #17716

Came in this afternoon after a nice afternoon of beer and brauts with friends. The motor home was just a bit warm so I turned on the fan - nothing happened. Confirmed I had no power on that cord (A separate line I use for a second electric heater so I don't trip the Motor Home circuit breaker.) and took the voltmeter out to the power pole. Checked for power at the circuit breaker and took it out and replaced it a couple of times. We had some heavy downpours while I was gone and it looks like the weather resistant gfci outlet died. These things don't seem to be very robust. I also have one that is out up at the house temporary electric panel. They are required by code and Leviton seems to be the only company that makes them. Ordered two of them from Amazon.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #17717
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Yesterday we went down to DW's uncle's place on the Patuxent River near Solomons (you can see the bridge from his back yard) for the annual July 4th family gathering and crabs caught from his dock. Everyone brings a dish or something and as usual there more food than anyone could hope to eat, although I did my best. The fireworks were rained out by a thunderstorm so we missed that part but otherwise the weather was perfect - relatively low humidity and temps around 80 F.
Argghh!!! I am envious!

My folks used to live in Hollywood, MD-just up the 235 from Lexington Park, and I worked summers at Pax River NAS back in the 80's. I remember getting bushels of blue crabs fresh from our neighbor who would trawl with his own lines.....my mouth is making a mess of my keyboard as I drool looking at the pics you posted!

Spread out the newspaper, open a box of Old Bay, maybe some melted butter, a cooler of beer and I was in heaven!
what did you do today?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #17718
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I upped my high magnesium foods years ago to stop heart palpitations, which worked great, but also symptoms like tight muscles improved as well.

Interesting. What high magnesium foods do you use in your diet? I have had issues with muscle tightness as well as occasional heart palpitations lately.
what did you do today?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #17719
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Interesting. What high magnesium foods do you use in your diet? I have had issues with muscle tightness as well as occasional heart palpitations lately.

Here is a list of magnesium high foods:

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...mRichFoods.pdf
Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #17720
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Here is a list of magnesium high foods:

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...mRichFoods.pdf
Thanks! It looks like the green juice (made with dark green veggies) that I drink in the morning should already be packed with plenty of magnesium. Maybe I should make myself some trail mix with almonds and sunflower seeds. I read that pumpkin seeds are also high in magnesium.
Closed Thread