Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #17921
Moderator Emeritus

Finished the hall table that DW wanted. Bike ride. Now working on replacing my 17 year old sprinkler pump that seems like it needs a rest every couple of minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (253.2 KB, 29 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #17922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drove home from a friend's house. We went to see fabulous fireworks on the Erie Canal last night. I played the water balloon race at the small carnival and won a funny looking stuffed banana. Afterwards I had a few beers. Rather than drive home on a Saturday night after 10 PM with beer on my breath, I crashed on the TV room couch. I slept in until 9:30 AM. It's fun to do a sleepover once in a while, kinda like I did as a teenager.

The rest of the day was spent just chilling out and watching baseball with Mr B.

I have to be up at o'dark thirty tomorrow for a mammogram and bone density scan. Then I will be done with all the medical stuff until next year.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #17923
Administrator

Went to Lowes. Final sanded and stained the front hall stairs. Mowed the lawn. Went out to lunch. Put the first coat of polyurethane on the stairs. Ate the first BLT and sweet corn on the cob of the season (picked this morning from the farm down the street). Yum!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #17924
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to Lowes. Final sanded and stained the front hall stairs. Mowed the lawn. Went out to lunch. Put the first coat of polyurethane on the stairs. Ate the first BLT and sweet corn on the cob of the season (picked this morning from the farm down the street). Yum!

I thought that was you!

Went to Lowes. Picked up sanding and prep supplies to strip the stair handrail and steel baluster, and paint for the laundry room. (I'm re-doing the 'other' spaces around the kitchen while the contractor works over the kitchen. The other spaces are all empty for ceiling work and tile demolition.) I also went by Harbor Freight to get cheaper painting supplies and one of their finest disposable palm sanders... A COSTCO stop for cheap LED retrofit lights to go in ceiling cans...

Got home to find the custom cathedral ceiling ridgeline fixture mounting box I ordered had arrived (on a Sunday!). So, we are all set for more contractor chaos in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #17925
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finished the hall table that DW wanted....
Very Nice!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #17926
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Hermit.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #17927
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm #92 Class of 2015 & I'm starting the day with smooth jazz. DH gave me a new palm sander for Christmas and the one I had blamed DS for misappropriating years ago, has been "found". I'm looking forward to a project, but not yet...For today it's !

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #17928
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to Lowes. Final sanded and stained the front hall stairs. Mowed the lawn. Went out to lunch. Put the first coat of polyurethane on the stairs.
That sounds like a lot of physical work. It makes my muscles hurt just to think about it. Bet your stairs look great, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
So, we are all set for more contractor chaos in the morning.
My sympathies! As one who has been in real estate buy/sell chaos for three months, I feel your pain. It's probably fairly similar in some ways.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #17929
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Had an unexpected guest for lunch. Couldn't bring myself to eat him...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (359.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #17930
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiet morning after DW and DS's went off to work, then some cleanup chores around the kitchen.

I chopped up and diced veggies and seasoned the roast and got the crockpot going on low for pot roast for dinner later.

I was going to go out on a day trip someplace random, but then....the neighbors have a creeping vine that was spilling over the top of the fence down our common side and partially blocking walking to/from the trashcans.

I only wanted to cut back the vines and then be on my way someplace. But no...compulsive me cut the vines back then said may as well edge the pickleweed back to the sidewalk border down the side of the house, then staked up a leaning shrub, then more pruning and edging along the walkway and driveway.

Whew, I'm whacked, but dang the side of the house and driveway look much better!

Time for a cold beer on the patio w/ some music before everyone comes home to start the evening 'routine'
Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #17931

Over the weekend, DW picked up a microwave for $10 and today DS and I installed it. Some time on my genealogy (a 44 year hobby), and two short walks with our 15 year old dog (arthritis keeps her walks limited).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #17932
Recycles dryer sheets

Slow morning surfing the net outside in the backyard with my cup of coffee and my dog and cat sitting next to me. Went to IKEA to get more storage containers - very cheap! Found some new soft containers that zip and in went my large comforters and extra blankets. Finally found the floor of my closet, I knew it was there all along. More organization to follow.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #17933

Cleaned the dust off the camera sensor. It's a somewhat delicate procedure carrying the possibility of ruining the camera if one is careless. It only took five tries to get it all.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #17934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Had an unexpected guest for lunch. Couldn't bring myself to eat him...
Didn't someone sell something like that on eBay a while back?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #17935
Give me a forum ...

What a day...wow. Up at o'dark thirty to go for my mammo/bone density scan. Home for 2 hours, then off to the Syracuse VA for Mr B's followup eye exam. I sat there for 2.5 hours playing Solitaire, Word Search, and Mahjongg on my cell phone while he was getting the most comprehensive exam he'd ever had.
Everything is good for both of us.

Pigged out at a Chinese buffet on the way home. Outran some thunderheads and rain on the NYS Thruway.

My new boat cover is done ! No more duct tape repairs for at least 7 years. Tomorrow is boat re-launch day, early in the morning ahead of more predicted thunderstorms.

Then on Wed, up again at even earlier o'dark thirty to drive Mr B back to the VA for another annual test.

When, oh when, do I get to sleep in again ?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #17936
Give me a forum ...

I sometimes eat lunch at a place in the Public Market which is managed by a friend. It is usually crowded. Today he seated me with a lovely young Brazilian woman. Much to my surprise and pleasure we had a spirited conversation about several things that were important to her, like Soren Kierkegaard and the Christian Existentialists. I haven't talked about philosophers since my twenties. But by the longest of long chances, I had just read his Fear and Trembling on my Kindle, so I could meet with her on these ideas.

Fun interlude for me, then back to my purpose downtown which was to buy a jigger for my lady.

Ha
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #17937
Recycles dryer sheets

Busy couple of days ... was in Chicago last week for an advanced options trading seminar .. which was excellent, BTW. Looking forward to getting smarter with my trading.

First trip we left DS and DD (17 and 16) home solo, so that proved an interesting experience -- mostly in the sense that we had to do a bit of cleanup when we got home plus the 'fridge and pantry had been utterly decimated in our 4 day absence. Yeesh - teens can eat.

So, errands to clean up from the trip, restock the house, then off to a glass blowing class with DW, 6 mile run and a surf with DS. Also starting the back to school process of getting stuff and also prepping with DD for the college application process.

Hear it all the time on the forum, and it's true .. I have no idea how I managed to hold down a j*b before this!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #17938
Give me a forum ...

I went boating.
The cloud formations got a little threatening a few times, but I stayed in close proximity to my dock in case things got worse.
I did some no line tanning while the sun was out. Only two other boats were out there, and they were busy fishing.
Gorgeous day even though it clouded up. It was really neat to see all sorts of cloud types in the sky at once.
It doesn't take much to amuse me when I'm out on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LakeDeltaAug2015.jpg (474.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #17939
Moderator Emeritus

Bike ride, then replaced my sprinkler pump. Had to redo some plumbing because I hard piped the pump in place. Old one (+/- 17 years old) was shutting off & restarting on its own through each zone. Ordered the new one from Amazon 2 days ago and got it this morning. Amazon Prime is amazing.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #17940

Morning laundry then got going on my mini-landscaping project in the side area by the front door.

I'm going xeriscape/rocks and had to trench along the fence line to get some bender board in to plug the gaps under the wood fence.

Busted the 3/4" sprinkler line. DOH.

Finished trenching, got the bender board in, run to Home Depot to get some couplers and line (already had the glue from another 'incident').

Got the line mended, rake out the big clods and rocks, still need to level it out before laying down the weed barrier.

My shirt is soaked as if I went swimming.

Gonna clean up, then DW gets home and off we go to a free jazz concert at the San Diego City College to see the Carl Saunders(trumpet) quartet.

Long day...best is yet to come!
Closed Thread