Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #12761
Administrator

Wow! Sorry to hear that, Nodak. I hope you'll visit your doctor, even if you don't think you are seriously injured..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #12762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I'm not having a good day. Got T-boned at an intersection and think my car may be totaled. Thank God for side curtain air bags otherwise I'm fairly sure I'd be in the hospital.
It's a pretty good bet you would be in the hospital if not the morgue. I was a police officer and worked in uniform for 18 years, saw a lot of wrecks, and wrote an impressively thick stack of accident reports. When airbags became prevalent I was astonished at the differences that I was seeing in the condition of people walking, well limping sometimes, from wrecks that would otherwise have almost certainly been fatal.

Airbags in cars are right up there with canned beer on the list of "world's greatest inventions".

And a brand-new car is still cheaper than even a few days in ICU. Not to mention the pain involved.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #12763
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not having a good day. Got T-boned at an intersection and think my car may be totaled. Thank God for side curtain air bags otherwise I'm fairly sure I'd be in the hospital. Sitting here with a heating pad on my back and neck and have taken a couple of Aleve. I'm sure I'll be sore in the morning but not seriously injured.
My sympathies! Thank goodness you are physically not too banged up. Walt is right of course. It could have been so much worse. Were the roads icy?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #12764
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My sympathies! Thank goodness you are physically not too banged up. Walt is right of course. It could have been so much worse. Were the roads icy?
No ice, the light went amber when I was about 5 feet from the intersection, since there wasn't room to stop I continued on. It's a wide intersection and I was almost across when a van got me. I never really thought much about side curtain bags but now I wouldn't want a car without them.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #12765
Recycles dryer sheets

Terrible, Nodak! Thank god you weren't really damaged but even a slam like that could have repercussions later. See a doctor and take care.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #12766

I really don't expect any problems, all I have now is sore muscles, I didn't even feel my head hit the side air bag. No bumps or bruises. Fortunately he hit the passenger side and I was alone.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #12767
Give me a forum ...

Nodak, I am glad you are OK.

My daughter got T-boned two weeks ago. A young kid driving his mom's luxury car plowed into her. He admitted to not seeing the red light at all. He did not admit to texting or talking on the phone, but how can one not keep his eyes on the road and traffic?

Anyway, he hit at my daughter's rear left wheel, and spun her car around. She got a scratch, but was not hurt. Her car was totaled. If she was hit at the driver's door, I am sure it would be worse.

My wife's cousin got hit on the driver's door by a larger SUV. He spent 6 months in the hospital, going through numerous surgeries. Broken bones: skull, jaw, collar bone, ribs, left arm, left leg, pelvis. The attending doctor at the ER saw him a few months later, and said that he did not expect him to survive.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #12768
Give me a forum ...

So, I woke up a bit later than usual, and missed the market opening.

Grabbed my laptop, started up Quicken. Hey, the bottom line looked lousy compared to the indices. Let's see what's happening here.

Darn! An oil equipment company released earnings, missed expectation. Stock dropped 10% already, and still going down. I am very diversified and do not have more than 1% in any position, but 10% in any single one still hurts. A few clicks and it's sold!

Well, I still have 80% gain off this one after holding it for a few years, so it's still all right. But that drop today is still 0.05% of portfolio, and to think that I do not even spend 0.01% on clothes... Would that not bring tears to a miser's eyes?

That boosted my cash AA up even more. Now, I have to go look for something else to buy. But I am heading up to higher elevation soon today, so it will have to wait.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #12769
Recycles dryer sheets

Not much to do today so I went trout fishing in a nearby river. First step in the river I fell on my @%% in about a foot of h20, wet and banged up. Hobbled home and hit the tub. Learned it's very cold when you're soaked and it's a windy 40 degrees, not to mention embarrassing.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #12770
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Nodak! I am so glad you are (relatively) OK after that accident. I would imagine that you probably hurt a lot more today than you did yesterday. Did you go and get checked out? I hope you are still feeling more or less unharmed.

I guess I should appreciate my side air bags more than I do. Having never seen one deployed, I didn't think they would make any difference but it sounds like they made a huge difference in your case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #12771

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, Nodak! I am so glad you are (relatively) OK after that accident. I would imagine that you probably hurt a lot more today than you did yesterday. Did you go and get checked out? I hope you are still feeling more or less unharmed.

I guess I should appreciate my side air bags more than I do. Having never seen one deployed, I didn't think they would make any difference but it sounds like they made a huge difference in your case.
I was pretty stiff this morning but with Ibuprofen and some activity I'm feeling quite a bit better. Checked in with my doctor and no problems. The side curtain air bags are amazing in a t-bone accident. Without them I would have slammed my head into the door frame and window probably with serious results. As it was I didn't even feel any impacts so all I wound up with is sore muscles. I will make sure my next car also has them.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #12772

At the time we bought DW's car side air bags were an option that were only available if we also bought the package with leather seats. She didn't want leather because she thought it would be cold in winter and hot in summer.

But I've seen, and I believe, so my response was "What color leather do you want?" I'm rarely unwilling to refuse negotiation on something with her but to me that's a survival issue. She knew I saw it as something for her protection so she didn't argue.

Today I didn't do much of anything but slice up a couple of sticks of pepperoni. Tomorrow (finally!) it'll be dry enough long enough to finish weather sealing the back porch and deck.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #12773
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran 4 miles, then drove to our university's Lifelong Learning program to attend a reading of Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare, (seeing the play next week), then attended a lecture on Dutch Art Masters. Stopped off at Home Depot on the way home to pick up some plants for the front yard, planted them, then made homemade pesto for the first time ever (so easy!) and put together a killer pesto pasta for dinner. In bed in my pj's now, relaxing and playing on my computer.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #12774
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nodak....so glad that you are ok I got the Subaru since it has the 5 star safety rating...nothing else for me especially since I live in the armpit of the US.
Today, I am catching up on laundry, working on a client this afternoon, and then spending some time with DH painting and staining our new dining room table. Hopefully, everything will dry soon and we can bring in the dining set and hutch by mid-week and I can start the decorating process
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #12775
Administrator

Quote:
I never really thought much about side curtain bags but now I wouldn't want a car without them.
Glad to hear you're not injured. Same thoughts here on side airbags.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #12776

Finished the porch and deck. Tomorrow the screens go back up.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #12777
Give me a forum ...

Entertained some friends to dinner. We had a great time.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #12778
Give me a forum ...

Slept in this morning, cooked bacon, eggs and toast for me and DW, ordered some business cards for her online, installed a new battery in our lawn tractor and put the old battery in the truck to return to Walmart to get a refund of the core charge, installed a door latch on the master bedroom sliding screen door so our cat can no longer open the screen door during nice weather (damn cat never closes it behind him). Now flipping between the Patriots/Dolphins game and the Martinsville Sprint Cup race and having a beer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #12779

Counted down to 8 more Sundays before I retire! Also, once more sat my DW down and ran through the numbers to show her that we are not going to be homeless
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #12780
Recycles dryer sheets

Installed a cooling air intake on my new 2014 Camaro ZL1 and did a long test drive, took the puppies to the dog park and walked the track for 1/2 mile with them (they were exhausted; 6 and 10 lb Yorkies) gave the dogs baths, started laundry, made my lunch and coffee for tomorrow at work, took wife out for dinner and visited her sisters after dinner.
Closed Thread