Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #15141
Recycles dryer sheets

Started trimming lower branches off white spruce trees we planted 20 years ago, the 24 foot wide fire lane was getting so I had trouble getting my tractor through without pushing branches out of the way. Two or three hours of that a couple of days a week will easily take several months to complete. Cutting them by hand with a Swede saw; no need for a gym membership

Took a break and went on a 100 mile motorcycle ride. Knees hurt like hell when I got home, daily Naproxen only goes so far to relieve that ache.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #15142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Started to finish winterizing my boat. Took a couple hoses off and wa about to pur in the RV antifreeze when I discovered that they were still in the car that DW took for the afternoon! Ah... manana.

Moved my Mom's boat in front of her garage that it will go in once I winterize that one. Then moved my boat to a spot in a corner of Mom's yard where it will sit for the winter. I'll need to finish winterizing it then build a sturdy frame and tarp it but no hurry for that.

Finished disassembling a couple dock sections that I took out of the water the other day and put them away. I'm keeping the pontoon boat and a few sections of dock in for foliage season.

Then put a temporary railing along the stairway up to DW's she-cave (the bonus room over our garage). DW's having some ladies over next week for a quilt club meeting in the she-cave.

How in the world did I ever find time to work?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #15143
Moderator Emeritus

Hiked 5 miles with camera and tripod looking for wildlife-found little. Defoliated container plantings and stored containers for winter. Watched sealcoating company seal the driveway. Went grocery shopping and to MIL's for cookies.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #15144
Give me a forum ...

I finished installing a heater on my little Kubota tractor. I use it a lot in the winter to move snow and last year I froze my butt off. I made the heater out of a new car heater core that I bought at the metal recycler for $1, a fan from an RV stove vent, a VW coolant pump (actually new!) and some plywood. It appears that it will work well, as it throws off plenty of heat. So, with the $75 I have in the canvas golf cart cab, I've got about $150 invested in this endeavor.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #15145
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Last week my SO went for some testing prior to having knee surgery . His Ekg showed a slight abnormality so he had a stress test . It showed a 90% blockage of one of his arteries . He has had absolutely no symptoms so it was a total shock . He is now going to have an angiogram with stent placement . We are so glad it was discovered this way and not after he had a heart attack . You just never know what life sends you.
Update ! He also flunked the Cardiac Cath so yesterday he had a three way bypass . He is doing great and has already been moved from ICU to a Cardiac step down unit . He had no symptoms but had 90% blockage of one artery and 100% blockage of two arteries . This has been a crazy month !
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #15146
Give me a forum ...

Today I screwed up my budget by purchasing some artwork.

Dorset Norwich Young, AFCA, A.F.C. Original Paintings and Limited Edition Prints.

It is glorious here.

Poets Cove Premier British Columbia resort with a full spa and marinaPoets Cove Resort Marina and Spa | British Columbia Deluxe Resort, full spa & marina
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #15147
Recycles dryer sheets

Meadbh, make sure you visit Brooks Point - that is where I have been getting up close and personal with orcas for the past 20 years. A more beautiful spot you will be hard pressed to find.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #15148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update ! He also flunked the Cardiac Cath so yesterday he had a three way bypass . He is doing great and has already been moved from ICU to a Cardiac step down unit . He had no symptoms but had 90% blockage of one artery and 100% blockage of two arteries . This has been a crazy month !
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear your SO is doing great now. That must have all been pretty scary at the time.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #15149

Half-marathon this morning. As always, it feels so good when it's over.

This was a special one, though. For the first time ever, DW did it with me. I'm really proud of her, since she was a couch potato just a few years ago. She has been doing 10-Ks, and working her way up to the longer distance

We each have another half planned for the Oct/Nov timeframe, separately, then we'll do another one together in December.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #15150
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome Braumeister! My goal is to do several half marathons during the course of 2015. Been slowly ramping up my running after a several year hiatus. So far, my knees feel great! *fingers crossed*
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #15151

Good for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too.
In case you eventually do run into knee trouble, consider using the kind of strap that goes just below your kneecap to stabilize it. They work like magic for me.
There are several different kinds, for different knee problems, but the folks at a good running store should be able to help you select one.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #15152
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats to Braumeister and DW! Half marathon distance is more than enough for those over 40. (I assume you're both over 40) And congrats to Sea Kayaker for committing to a goal of several halves in one year.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #15153
Administrator

First thing this morning, the young wife and I went to the optician to pick out my very first pair of glasses. After that, I used my brand new spreader to fertilize and over-seed the lawn. Then we took the roadster out for a spin. We stopped at a seafood restaurant on the harbor in Guilford, where I enjoyed some oysters on the half shell, clam chowder and a crabcake. After lunch, we picked peaches at the orchard. The young wife has promised to bake me a pie, but she's napping with her cats now, so it may not occur until tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #15154

Went to an alumni picnic with a bunch of people I used to work with. It was a different work environment than most. We depended on each other a lot so there were very few disagreements over anything substantial and even when there were that never affected how you did your job.

Won one of the door prizes, a shoebox full of little goodies like a jigsaw puzzle (DW will actually use that) notebook, wine bottle stopper, wine cork puller, a Beanie Baby type doll (will go to the grandniece) and a glass pig.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #15155
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee in bed with quick read of the city e-newspaper.

DW and I took out our 6 month old bird dog and went through field quartering, tracking, and retrieving with pigeons and introduced the pup to cap gun noise.

Watched Army football as the cadets self-destructed once again and lost a game that should have been won against Wake Forest. Oh well, Beat Navy!

Evening news on TV and then took the pup for another short walk. Afterwards, DW and I watched the USA v. the World in the Ninja race competition. It was surprisingly entertaining and the athletes were absolutely incredible.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #15156
Give me a forum ...

I'm enjoying coffee on the back deck overlooking some Carolina woods with my new (old) 1968 Martin 00-18 acoustic. It's a "parlor guitar", not what I'm used to, but just right for a sunny morning in Septembah!

And, of course, work? What's that

Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #15157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congrats to Braumeister and DW! Half marathon distance is more than enough for those over 40. (I assume you're both over 40) And congrats to Sea Kayaker for committing to a goal of several halves in one year.
If Braumeister has revealed his age, either I missed the post or my superior memory has deteriorated.

But from his past posts, I think his age is closer to double the above number.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #15158

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But from his past posts, I think his age is closer to double the above number.
Some people just don't miss a trick.

But don't load too many years on me. Last time I checked, I had celebrated the 29th anniversary of my 39th birthday (which is when I stopped counting them). Hey, part of the fun of entering races is waiting to get into the next age group so my relative performance doesn't look so bad!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #15159
Give me a forum ...

Me, missing a chance to show off my superior memory?

Around 70 was my estimate of your age. Darn, sometimes my memory is so good I scare myself.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #15160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow...to say the least!

Before you know it, both of y'all will be out dancing every night...