what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's to-do list:

1. Re-check emergency caches
2. Check flashlights. Repair or replace batteries as needed.
3. Check broadcast receivers, replace batteries as needed.
3. Fully charge the handheld radio transceivers.
4. Check and test the 12 VDC big battery for the shortwave radio transceiver.
5. Inspect antenna masts and guy lines. Forecast peak winds will be strong enough to hit the burst strength of an unguyed 30' pine or hemlock mast built from 2x4 and 2x3 pieces.

Incoming weather. And people wondered what I'd do with my time in retirement...
Wow! Sounds like quite a storm on its way to your region. I am sure you will be well prepared. If winds are going to be that bad, I would imagine you are also bringing in any patio furniture, grills, or other outdoor items, so that they do not become missiles and break your windows. But then I am used to hurricanes so maybe that is overkill. Frank just has a wire antenna for his ham radio set up with some sort of hinged mount, so that he can tilt it down by himself and lay it flat on the ground. I used to have to help him with it, until he devised this one person operation.

Getting ready for heavy weather can be a lot of physical work, so I usually regard it as a free gym workout too.

Last edited:
Went for about a 45 minute motorcycle ride. Brrrrr! The fuel that is in it has been there since about late spring and because of a bend or something in the fuel filler neck on the tank I can't siphon it out to replace it with fresh (treated) fuel.

So I'm taking in out on non-rainy and more or less warm days (+30°) for 30 to 45 minutes at a time to slowly burn that off so I can replace the fuel and doing it at the time of day when traffic is at the lightest and still in daylight. Then when I can replace the fuel it goes back to sleep for the rest of the winter.

I thought you were going to sell the motorbike, Walt. What changed?

I thought you were going to sell the motorbike, Walt. What changed?

Winter. Around here (West Virginia) nobody wants to buy a motorcycle in winter. I did put an ad on Craigslist a few weeks ago but I don't expect any offers. I'll list again in the spring unless....

Another issue is if I can get off the anticoagulant drugs, I'll talk to the doc about that in a couple of weeks. My sentence of one year on them will be up in July and if I can get off them then I may keep the bike. But for right now I just ride it enough to keep it in shape, 30-45 minutes once a week or so. It is very bad to let a machine just sit, especially one with old fuel in it. And I pick a low-traffic time of day, late morning or mid afternoon. And this is just until I run out the old fuel that has been in it since last spring. Then I'll refill with fresh treated fuel and it'll be good to sit for another six months or so. By then it will be easier to sell if need be or I'll just enjoy it.

Woke up at 2:00 AM just because (I'll be glad when *this* phase is over), so I went ahead and planned out the menu and shopping list for a cookie exchange dinner party I'm having here tomorrow. Also did my book club reading (Mark Twain's Roughing It), all before 6:00 AM. Headed to Target at 7:45 AM to get in and out quickly, then over to gym for an hour on the bike, followed by some ab work.

Home to shower and dress fancy for our Lifelong Learning program's holiday luncheon show. Shopping at two supermarkets once that was over, still in our fancy clothes, then home to change and start cooking. So far I've made two batches of Sangria, one white and one red, and baked homemade tortilla strips to top the chicken tortilla soup I'll be starting in about an hour.

Still have my own cookies and cornbread to make/bake, plus turkey pot pie for tonight's dinner, before the night is over.

I'm tired!

Last edited:
Turned a bowl on my lathe for the first time today.

15808827217_54c820605e_k.jpg

Turned a bowl on my lathe for the first time today.

Nice bowl- is that Maple or Sycamore? I keep walking by my lathe and thinking I should turn something, have a lot of blanks laying around.

BTW, neat that your local glass guy donates the flag case glass, a nice gesture. Getting the angles right on those cases can be a trial sometimes.

I really like winter when I get to spend more time in the work shop! I have heat but no AC so gets kind of warm plus there are so many other things that need to be done.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I like that bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks!

Nice bowl- is that Maple or Sycamore? I keep walking by my lathe and thinking I should turn something, have a lot of blanks laying around.

BTW, neat that your local glass guy donates the flag case glass, a nice gesture. Getting the angles right on those cases can be a trial sometimes.

I really like winter when I get to spend more time in the work shop! I have heat but no AC so gets kind of warm plus there are so many other things that need to be done.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

The bowl is Sycamore. Bought a chunk at the local woodcraft store for this one, but I'm going to start turning logs once they dry out.

The glass guy is a class act. The big box stores wouldn't do that. I watched a video Tommy Mac » Rough Cut Season 1 from Tommy Mac on Rough Cut on how to build it. He recommends sneaking up on the angles - cutting the 22.5° angles for the bottom corners, and 45° angles for the top. Cut the sides a little long. Then piece together - and keep trimming the 45's until it fits together nice.

I know what you mean about shop temp. I have heat but no a/c also. Nice 60° in there with little humidity now. So this is the perfect time of year to be out there.

Picked up my car yesterday from the car hospital. Rebuilt transmission. I'll be glad when this budget year is over.

Today I push-shoveled 5 inches of snow off the steps and around the cars. The plow guy showed up to do the 90 foot driveway and turnaround. Money well spent ! :D

It felt good to get outside and get some exercise. I do not let Mr B shovel because he has a heart condition. Add cold weather and....:nonono:

I bought 40 shares of BHP via VG brokerage. Nice price!

I'm making a late lunch personal pizza using a round of Mediterranean flatbread covered with canned shitake mushrooms and mozzarella and Asiago cheese, sprinkled liberally with olive oil. Yum yum!

Then it's time to assemble my SAD light. I got lazy the other day and blew it off. :LOL:

It's snowing again...it's still pretty to watch. :)

Last edited:
Bought DD two bar stools for Christmas (pre-arranged gift). They were about $150 each and I opted to go for an Amazon (by Chase) CC since they offered to give me $70 off through a gift card for the chairs.

I guess I got tired of that ad popping up every time I go to checkout. Now I can get 3% off purchases which will be the only place I use this card.;)

Bought DD two bar stools for Christmas (pre-arranged gift). They were about $150 each and I opted to go for an Amazon (by Chase) CC since they offered to give me $70 off through a gift card for the chairs.

I guess I got tired of that ad popping up every time I go to checkout. Now I can get 3% off purchases which will be the only place I use this card.;)

I love my Amazon (by Chase) Visa card! It is my only credit card, and I got it because FIREd mentioned it in a post last spring. That got my attention and when I looked at the details it seemed perfect for me. It was great to get that gift card for signing up, too.

I love my Amazon (by Chase) Visa card! It is my only credit card, and I got it because FIREd mentioned it in a post last spring. That got my attention and when I looked at the details it seemed perfect for me. It was great to get that gift card for signing up, too.

I just checked Amazon and I've placed 50 orders this year and that does not include what DW orders (which is probably 1/2 my total). Looking back, I seem to average about 25 orders per year. Moving in the new (old) house had something to do with that as I ordered two new toilets, sink, faucet, tile, some new tools, brackets, smoke alarms, wire, etc.

It seems like it's getting more convenient to order from them for more and more stuff, especially with Prime. Getting this card may be a really good thing! Plus, I won't have that darn ad popping up at me.;)

Been in Florida since just before Thanksgiving.
This morning I had carpal tunnel surgery on right wrist.
I'm mostly useless for the next couple days.
Have needed help eating and dressing.
Went out for a boat ride this afternoon to make me feel better. Storks and pelicans waiting for us when we got back; sorry, no fish today.

...typing with left hand...

Been in Florida since just before Thanksgiving.
This morning I had carpal tunnel surgery on right wrist.
I'm mostly useless for the next couple days.
Have needed help eating and dressing.
Went out for a boat ride this afternoon to make me feel better. Storks and pelicans waiting for us when we got back; sorry, no fish today.

...typing with left hand...

Wonderful! Hoping for the best possible surgical results and a speedy and thorough recovery.

Chatting online with my daughter, who is 36 but of course still my baby girl. She is at home alone in Oregon and it's dark, electricity is out, and the winds are howling and making the house creak. Some storm!

I mounted several prints that I am going to give as gifts. I made a sweet fruit bread for myself and to share with others. Exercised. Read the newspaper. Ran an errand. Talked to youngest child on the phone.

Chatting online with my daughter, who is 36 but of course still my baby girl. She is at home alone in Oregon and it's dark, electricity is out, and the winds are howling and making the house creak. Some storm!

That has to be a bit scary. I hope she is okay.

Last weekend DH and I were out shopping for drought tolerant plants. It is hard to believe now. I'm glad we didn't buy too many. We're having trouble getting the dog to go outside to go potty today, even though he has a rain coat. We've just haven't had any breaks in the rain all day.

Today I tried out my new to me Presto pizza oven. It worked great and made pizza faster than the wall oven with less energy usage and no pre-heating required. This site says it uses 1/4 of the energy of a conventional electric oven:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/presto-pizzazz-19658

Last edited:
DH measured my height this morning. Years ago I was 5' 7". Now, I'm 5' 5 1/2 ". By tonight, I'll be even shorter.

I'm shrinking. :blink:

Right now I am watching and listening to a gaggle of noisy geese in the field next to my home. I think they are having a travel planning meeting. They can't make up their minds whether to go south for the winter.

Right now I am watching and listening to a gaggle of noisy geese in the field next to my home. I think they are having a travel planning meeting. They can't make up their minds whether to go south for the winter.

Smart birds ! It's been chilly in Florida this year !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom