Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #16601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So far, just watching the snow fall all day. Happy Spring indeed.
I sympathize. I'm in Michigan, and no snow here today, but we still have snow on the ground, and we're supposed to get 2-3" of new snow tomorrow. Since about December of 2012, the Eastern USA has been stuck in this cold pattern, with the wavy jet stream bringing warm air to Alaska and the Western USA, and nothing but cold air from Canada/Greenland coming down into the Eastern USA. I can put up with this for a year or so, but going on 3 years straight is getting a bit old!! Yeah, I know, places like Michigan are pretty cold in any case, but the last couple years have been highly unusual....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #16602
Administrator

I got six blueberry plants this week and was hoping to get them in the ground this weekend. I also need to plant my peas. I'm guessing that won't happen.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #16603
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hung around the house again today. We watched the entire Red Sox game via our MLB TV subscription. I used the HDMI output on my laptop to the TV HDMI input. Piece of cake.

I cooked homemade Italian wedding soup for lunch, and reheated some leftover garlic chicken wings for dinner. Woooooo

I am now off antibiotics and my mouth feels great, sooooooo...I can resume my normal activities. That includes going to a local pub or Legion for a few beers and a pool game or two.

Still too chilly out for yardw*rk. Enough with the Arctic air.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #16604

Been spending the past three weeks getting the first floor ready for a hardwood floor install. Ripped up carpet, molding, removed nails and staples, nailed down subfloor more tightly, undercut the drywall to leave room for expansion, and been painting all the walls. Furnace went out last week and new is great. Reduced humidity levels to point it's too dry for wood floors. Had I known that would happen, I would have them install a humidifier. So that's what I did today. Had to run a new electrical outlet as well.

I think I'm ready to back to w*!k - I need the break...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #16605

And it's been two months since we travelled anywhere. Monday, going to head down to Alabama to meet up with a group of van-dwelling friends. They're there for two weeks, but we have to be back by Thursday. Installers for the floor coming next Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #16606
Give me a forum ...

We went to a free Lose Your Lawn Class and I won nice plant, then we used up a gift certificate about to expire on happy hour for beer and snacks.

I'm looking forward to replacing the lawn with a native plant garden - no more mowing and a much lower water bill afterwards.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #16607
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday we took the day off from most everything. We had family in town last week so busy every day and were ready for a rest. I did move some alpaca manure and compost with the tractor in the morning but then stayed in the rest of the day. We watched Atlas Shrugged I and II again because we picked up the third movie the other day and needed a refresher. Movies aren't done very well but my son likes the series (and the book) as well and will join us to watch the third movie next weekend. I thought the first installment was not too bad but don't like how most of the actors have changed in each one.

Took a break to make burgers on the grill for dinner, then back to another DVD, "The Good Lie" which we liked- better than I expected. Hope to have another slow day today!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #16608
Recycles dryer sheets

We have spent the last week visiting family in PA and Ohio...and freezing out butts off. It has been fun and worth it but I cant wait to get back to the warm Colorado sunshine in a few days.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #16609

Went skiing yesterday. My knee has been giving me fits for the last couple of weeks. Every time I walk something in there has been snapping. It has been swollen and very sore. I have an appointment with an orthopedist. There are priorities in life, however, so off I went for a nice, if slightly painful, day of spring skiing.

Well about mid-morning, there was a major "POP" in the knee as I was going down a very steep, but well groomed, black slope. Boy, I thought I was in major trouble! I kept skiing down the hill, and much to my amazement, the pain in my knee almost completely went away! I have been on a constant supply of ibuprofen for the last couple of weeks, but today I haven't needed any. I guess whatever was out of place in my knee popped back into place while skiing. So who said skiing on sore knees was a bad idea?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #16610
Give me a forum ...

I went out today and drank beer. I ate garlic chicken wings and garlic broccoli pizza while watching 2 different NCAA basketball games at 2 different local pubs, in tandem. I totally corrupted my gardening buddy all afternoon.

He likes to do that health nut thing. No wheat. No fat. BS.
No match for the Bird.

I am oozing garlic fumes. Woooo baby.

It was a dirty j*b but it had to be done.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #16611

We've been thinking about adopting a senior dog for the last several months and yesterday found the one we couldn't say no to.

Cody is 12 years old and was dumped at a kill shelter. The Nevada SPCA rescued him, got him cleaned up and medically checked up.

The little guy was severely neglected and he has a grade 3 heart murmur. When we saw his picture in the paper our heart melted and knew he had a home with us and our 13 year old lab mutt.

This is Cody's beauty pic that the SPCA had taken after he was groomed.

His tail wags constantly and he LOVES to wander in the backyard. We do have to help him get up on the couch and onto the chair he sleeps in so we jokingly say he's found his dream assisted living center!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #16612

And this is what Cody looked like when he was dumped at the kill shelter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #16613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We've been thinking about adopting a senior dog for the last several months and yesterday found the one we couldn't say no to.

Cody is 12 years old and was dumped at a kill shelter. The Nevada SPCA rescued him, got him cleaned up and medically checked up.

The little guy was severely neglected and he has a grade 3 heart murmur. When we saw his picture in the paper our heart melted and knew he had a home with us and our 13 year old lab mutt.

This is Cody's beauty pic that the SPCA had taken after he was groomed.

His tail wags constantly and he LOVES to wander in the backyard. We do have to help him get up on the couch and onto the chair he sleeps in so we jokingly say he's found his dream assisted living center!
Thanks for adopting this little senior guy. I bet he is going to be real happy in his furever home with you.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #16614
Give me a forum ...

Great news on the dog adoption Lisa99. We didn't get a senior dog but our last pets have all come from shelters. We are very grateful for our little shelter mutt. He is a real sweetheart.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #16615

Cody looks so much happier now that he's with you Lisa99. You've warmed my heart!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #16616

Cody is a lucky lad. Congrats on your new buddy!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #16617

Thanks everyone. We're the lucky ones... He's a sweetheart!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #16618
Administrator

Went to the post office and mailed in my tax returns today.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #16619
Recycles dryer sheets

Gumby - Good for you, I am waiting until the last minute as I owe Uncle Sam.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #16620
Recycles dryer sheets

Cody is just wonderful and I know you'll all be very happy together!
Closed Thread