Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #17861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Looking at the photos would bring tears to male posters, who wish they had stayed celibate.
Exactly....but...we haven't heard from the dog yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #17862
Give me a forum ...

Saw a couple former co-w*rkers names in the local business journal. I used to w*rk with these clowns on a weekly basis. They left Megacorp a while back, then became "C" level executives at a new Tinycorp. According to the article both were fired for attempting to cheat the owner out of ~6.5 million dollars. The owner has filed a lawsuit against both. While I'm shocked at the claim, I absolutely believe they are both guilty. Too bad they weren't charged criminally!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #17863
Give me a forum ...

Not today, but yesterday.

I went to the grocery to get a few things I wanted (top of the list: beer). Not many, so I could use the self-service checkout. Mid-afternoon, no crowd (isn't that NICE?), sunny day so I was feeling pretty chipper all around.

The disembodied voice that guides you through the checkout was female, pleasant (say, who was that girl?). When I was ready to pay up, it was "Do you have any items under the cart?", "Do you have any coupons?", "Do you have a frequent shopper card?". No, no, yep.

Then the big one: "Do you have a senior citizen discount?".

I paused. But I read what people write here so I decided to go for it. I hit yes and looked at the employee overseeing who looked up and then nodded. Success!

But I was curious so I put my stuff in my sack and stopped at the attendant's station on the way out to ask, "What's the age for the senior discount?". She said, "60. How old are you?". I told her (I'm in my 50s) and she smiled and just waved her hand toward the exit.

Before I left, I said to her, "You're my first! You just MADE MY DAY!". She laughed and said "go celebrate!".

As FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper said, "Every day, once a day, give yourself a gift". Good advice!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #17864
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

today... so far... removed the concrete form from my chimney crown. Did some finish work on the crown. took down the scaffold and cleaned it. half the day done... and I have finished something. Need to find what is next on the list.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #17865

Entered the schengen zone again after my sojourn in London. Spent some frustrating time trying to get my new french sim card to work. (Google translate open on my computer as I follow the "easy steps" to recharge so I can get data and unlimited calls.)

Enjoyed a very nice aperitif (Kir Royale) down on Rue St. Michel.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #17866

Mowed the "back 40" before 10:30 before it got too hot.

DW's grandnieces (9 and 5 years old) are staying with SIL 15 minutes away for a week so there will be lots of activities to spoil them rotten keep them busy. Today we just went out for an early dinner.

Tomorrow is just going to the pool here, Monday or Tuesday probably Luray Caverns in Virginia, a good idea for hot weather. They spoke of tubing on the Shenandoah River and a few other things. I'm sure we'll be tired by the end of the week. Or at least DW will, since I have the option of opting out.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #17867
Administrator

Scraped and plastered cracks in the front hall, preparatory to repainting this coming week. Took the young wife out to lunch in the roadster. We went to a nice place right on the Sound, enjoying the sun and sand as we ate. Brewed 5 gallons of summer ale when I got back home.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #17868
Moderator Emeritus

Continued working on framing in our covered patio to make it screened in. Tomorrow the door frame gets built (and maybe hang the door too). Gotta love this work in 100 F temps!

Screen_in.jpg
Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 AM   #17869

aja8888, Hope you had a helper. Are the studs metal? Are those shutters on the windows?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #17870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
....Took the young wife out to lunch in the roadster. ...
Is the old wife bound and shackled in the basement?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #17871
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
aja8888, Hope you had a helper. Are the studs metal? Are those shutters on the windows?
No helper, just me and the ladder and the dog (and a lot of tools). The framing is extruded aluminum made especially with a groove for screening. The kit was spec'd out from a drawing I made and submitted to Home Depot's vendor, a manufacturer, Madden Metals out of Missouri. They manufacturer extruded framing for commercial and residential applications (windows, screen products, etc.).

The shutters (internal) on the windows are on all the windows and are quite nice (they came with the house). They have wood slats.

I'll put up more pictures of the patio project next week. Today I frame in the doorway and next week install the screen in all the openings.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #17872

I was wondering if it was extruded aluminum. One of the vendors we represent is Bosch extruded aluminum, I don't sell it but know the product. I like the clean look. Looks like you're doing a nice job. Looking forward to more pics, love seeing construction.

Do those shutters help keep out sun/heat?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #17873
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job, aja8888! Now I see why you needed those tapcon bits.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #17874
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was wondering if it was extruded aluminum. One of the vendors we represent is Bosch extruded aluminum, I don't sell it but know the product. I like the clean look. Looks like you're doing a nice job. Looking forward to more pics, love seeing construction.

Do those shutters help keep out sun/heat?
Yes, they close up and keep the sun/heat out a bit. Need that here in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nice job, aja8888! Now I see why you needed those tapcon bits.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Yes, that old concrete is pretty hard! Topcons went in nicely though! Nothing like a good hammer drill and quality bits!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #17875

Went to the Louvre and saw the Ruben's commissioned by Marie Medici. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari...7_Medici_cycle I remembered these from the last time I was in Paris... Almost 20 years ago. Still stunning.

Also saw the Mona Lisa.... Meh... Crowds were horrific in that room.

Loved the Paris museum pass. Bypassed the lines and went straight into the museum. (The lines were super long).
Finally out of the heat!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #17876
Moderator Emeritus

Finally out of the heat!

Well, 4 hours @ 100 F was enough fr today. Managed to frame up the doorway and supports. Lots of measuring, cutting, trimming, up and down the ladder, leveling, drilling and swearing, but here's where we are (tomorrow it's the screen door install):

Framed Up.jpg
Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #17877

aja, It's looking good. You work like we do, clean up your work area.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #17878
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
aja, It's looking good. You work like we do, clean up your work area.
Thanks Billie! I can't stand a messy area when I am working.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #17879
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday was sunny and very warm but enjoyable.

Did the Sunday grocery run, went on a nice 4 mile walk in the PQ preserve on the shady side of the creek.

Got home and did have to deal with one of the neighbors who parked one of their 4 cars on my side of the street which had about 3 ft 'poking' into our driveway - made it really hard to back out of the garage. But, we are on good terms, he got it moved.

Listened to music on the back patio with some cold beer.

Smoked a nice sized tri-tip for the family dinner with grilled corn, baked potato, and fresh made cornbread.

Then cooled off with a Klondike ice cream sandwich for dessert.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #17880

Went up the Eiffel tower. Then walked over to the arc de triomphe and climbed those stairs. Walked back to the apartment by way of the Louvre. My feet hurt.
Closed Thread