what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent my 60th birthday bike riding, and testing out my new gopro chest mount. Now getting ready to go to a bridal shower after party,

I put this Carrera GO (1/32) layout together for the grandkids when they were here visiting a couple months ago!

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 17
Spent my 60th birthday bike riding, and testing out my new gopro chest mount. Now getting ready to go to a bridal shower after party,

Happy Birthday! :dance:

I spent most of the day in Real Estate H***. Honestly real estate drives me nuts! But that's OK. Soon my old house will be sold, and I can forget about real estate transactions for a long, long time. I don't ever plan to move again.

Love my new house, though. Got a garage door opener installed this week.

Last edited:
Thanks W2R! And you're in the last mile of your real estate marathon. You bought your dream house, moved in, and sold (almost) your old house. It's time to kick back and relax!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For the past 2 days I have been at the National flute convention in Washington D.C. I woke up from dreaming in flute music the past two mornings (including today). Yesterday I heard Emma Respini play--oh my. (Check her out on YouTube), she's a child prodigy, now is 15. Today James Galway will be here.

I've played in the flute orchestra (200 flutes) and a flute choir, played duets with my friend in the hotel room. Everywhere you walk you hear amazing flute players. It's been a magical week so far. A leap forward in my playing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

For the past 2 days I have been at the National flute convention in Washington D.C. I woke up from dreaming in flute music the past two mornings (including today). Yesterday I heard Emma Respini play--oh my. (Check her out on YouTube), she's a child prodigy, now is 15. Today James Galway will be here.

I've played in the flute orchestra (200 flutes) and a flute choir, played duets with my friend in the hotel room. Everywhere you walk you hear amazing flute players. It's been a magical week so far. A leap forward in my playing too.

This is so weird to me (in a good way! Not being at all musical, I never considered that there could be a whole orchestra of just one instrument) and yet it sounds so beautiful. You must feel like you are in heaven. Post pictures!

Donated blood this morning.

Helped capture some wild bees, but they were unhappy and left.

Harvested some okra and beans.

Managed a load of laundry before rain.

I spent several more hours working on my staircase. It's getting close to done. Then the young wife and I took the roadster out for lunch outside at a nice little restaurant overlooking the Housatonic River. We followed that with a trip to Rich Farm Ice Cream in Oxford. Caramel swirl -- mmmmmm!

Made a stand for the autographed football that DW won at Bears training camp. Took the corvette out for a lunch ride on old US 66. Put some photos on poster boards for a photo contest.

Drove down to Virginia Beach, VA with DW. SIL rented a beach house and lots of family is here. I simply cannot believe I forgot my camera tripod, the charger for the camera, and the charger for the off-camera flashes. I'm not too concerned about the batteries as I have plenty of spares but the tripod is an irritation. I had specifically packed a neutral density filter to get some "soft water" images of the ocean.

It's all DW's fault of course, she distracted me when I was going back inside to get them and wanted me to pack something else.:D

Photos are from the top deck of the two-level deck.

Attachments

• View from top deck-1.jpg
    View from top deck-1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 18
  • View from top deck-2.jpg
    View from top deck-2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Worked for one hour this morning, walked the dog early to beat the heat and all day I've been sitting in front of a fan. The SF Bay Area's summer climate has changed so much from when I was a kid - we never had hot, hot summers like this. Looking for a cooler climate to move to to!!

Worked for one hour this morning, walked the dog early to beat the heat and all day I've been sitting in front of a fan. The SF Bay Area's summer climate has changed so much from when I was a kid - we never had hot, hot summers like this. Looking for a cooler climate to move to to!!

Sounds like my day. It is 83F in my living room right now. And the air quality is terrible too, with all that smoke from the wildfires up north. I hope the fog comes back soon...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We had a squirrel stretched out under a lawn chair on the cement patio most of the afternoon trying to keep cool.

volunteered for a new charity today that provides school supplies to teachers. 3 hours of sorting and counting pens/pencils/crayons/etc. still managed to get in grocery shopping, laundry, a large homemade meal, and a 2 hour walk around the local lake.

We had a squirrel stretched out under a lawn chair on the cement patio most of the afternoon trying to keep cool.

I had the same squirrel behavior here in the east bay today.

Leaving Wednesday to visit #2 son and DIL in DC. I may be missing the dry 102 degree heat.

It's already 86F outside, so I am going to do some planting indoors in my grow room where it's much cooler. Mostly salad greens and herbs for the fall.
I downloaded some really cool kindle books about compact vertical gardening. I already have several sturdy shelf units indoors, so I might try out some of the vertical gardening system ideas I've read about. I have plenty of seeds, plastic glasses and food storage containers on hand, and JumpStart T5 grow lights, so it won't cost me anything extra to set up a vertical growing system.
All I need is a small drill bit to poke holes for drainage and assemble the system on the existing shelf units using tie straps. I have plenty of catch basin containers, i.e. I have saved plastic jars and trays for the bottom rung of the water draining process.
Stuff like this is fun for me to do, and keeps my noodle sharp. :D

Well, this was yesterday. Sometimes it takes me a while to get back to civilization (and wi-fi) to post pictures. ;)

That's DW paddling ahead of me...another magical day of FIRE in the Salish Sea/Puget Sound region.

There were so many salmon jumping around us that I was actually afraid one of us were going to get a leaping salmon right in the face!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 28
I just returned from visiting my Mother .She just turned 99. She lives in a continuing care facility in a independent apartment but will probably need assisted living within the year . She is fighting it but I am afraid the writing is on the wall .For 99 she is in fairly okay shape but her eyesight is terrible and she is so afraid to fall that she will not take a step without her walker .Mentally she is fine with only an occasional lapse . Spending time with her at her facility makes me realize how precious life is and to enjoy it while you are able .

Well, this was yesterday. Sometimes it takes me a while to get back to civilization (and wi-fi) to post pictures. ;)

That's DW paddling ahead of me...another magical day of FIRE in the Salish Sea/Puget Sound region.

There were so many salmon jumping around us that I was actually afraid one of us were going to get a leaping salmon right in the face!

Absolutely beautiful photo. I can almost feel the cool air on my face kayaking there... (I used to do a lot of lake kayaking, but it must be awesome to do sea kayaking (although I would be a bit scared!))

Fiddled about the kitchen this morning tidying up before going out for a walk at 9:30am to try and beat the heat that is still clinging on around here.

Didn't work....about 20 minutes into my walk the heat ramped up so I was in a damp shirt, but thought to myself that it's great to be outside enjoying the trail and not at w*rk, so that put a smile on my face.

Found a trail section I had never been on before so that was really neat.

Back home after 2 hrs for a bit of lunch, then off to the Post Office to mail off two packages to friends.

Some more chores at home in the afternoon - finally decided the tile floors needed a good "Swiffering" - yuk, I was right!

No cooking tonight - left over ribs from last night, the rest of the cornbread, but will make a fresh/cool garden salad.

Oldest DS is packing up to go back to college Friday, so gotta start packing myself for the long drive.

It's already 86F outside, so I am going to do some planting indoors in my grow room where it's much cooler. Mostly salad greens and herbs for the fall.
I downloaded some really cool kindle books about compact vertical gardening. I already have several sturdy shelf units indoors, so I might try out some of the vertical gardening system ideas I've read about. I have plenty of seeds, plastic glasses and food storage containers on hand, and JumpStart T5 grow lights, so it won't cost me anything extra to set up a vertical growing system.
All I need is a small drill bit to poke holes for drainage and assemble the system on the existing shelf units using tie straps. I have plenty of catch basin containers, i.e. I have saved plastic jars and trays for the bottom rung of the water draining process.
Stuff like this is fun for me to do, and keeps my noodle sharp. :D

I've been doing some experimental vertical gardening this year, outside. I grew zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, and cukes vertically. It's been interesting and fairly successful. Always before we lost most of our melons to the muskrats. I used 2"x4" hardware cloth on 8' t-stakes for the melons, and did the cutting off the bottom leaves and tying the stems to a 2x2 wooden stake for the zucchini. It worked fairly well for keeping the fruit off the ground, and seems to have kept down the mildew on the leaves. I've used cheesecloth and t-shirt material to make slings to support the melons, and used surveyors tape to tie the vines to the frame. The cukes I just built a wooden A-frame with the hardware cloth and trained the vines up one side and down the other. It's been fun, and I wish I had more space and time to play with it. I'll be watching to seehow your indoor experiments go.

I've been doing some experimental vertical gardening this year, outside. I grew zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, and cukes vertically. It's been interesting and fairly successful. Always before we lost most of our melons to the muskrats. I used 2"x4" hardware cloth on 8' t-stakes for the melons, and did the cutting off the bottom leaves and tying the stems to a 2x2 wooden stake for the zucchini. It worked fairly well for keeping the fruit off the ground, and seems to have kept down the mildew on the leaves. I've used cheesecloth and t-shirt material to make slings to support the melons, and used surveyors tape to tie the vines to the frame. The cukes I just built a wooden A-frame with the hardware cloth and trained the vines up one side and down the other. It's been fun, and I wish I had more space and time to play with it. I'll be watching to seehow your indoor experiments go.
I decided to go with standard quart size clear plastic food containers, standing up straight. The room is carpeted, so I decided it would not be prudent to do drainage holes or try the cascading soda bottle configuration.
Using clear plastic containers allows me to see the moisture situation in the containers so I don't overwater. I'm using soil-less commercial mix so drainage will be fine as long as I don't overdo it.
I own 4 shelf units with open grate type shelves to allow light through, and enough 2 foot long T5 grow lights to mount them on the underside of the shelves. I covered the wall behind 2 of the shelf units with reflective Mylar (2nd photo).
Next wall to be covered is behind the shelf unit in the 1st photo.

I have two 4 foot Jumpstart T5 grow lights mounted to the wall above the shelves (2nd photo).

I planted some spinach and arugula for now in the identical plastic containers (1st photo, 3rd shelf). No bees required for greens.

I am going to try something that climb up the shelf vertical poles and is easy to hand pollinate with a tiny artists brush. Not sure what veggie that will be yet. Some kind of vining squash might work well.

I have some flexible tubing that I might try to fashion into a gravity type automatic watering system for one of the shelf units. Still undecided...

Progress so far...eventually every open space on the shelves will be occupied by a plant, 1 per container.

Attachments

• ShelfUnit1Aug2015.jpg
    ShelfUnit1Aug2015.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ShelfUnit2Aug2015.jpg
    ShelfUnit2Aug2015.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I sat around the house today. I'm on Day 6 of 10 for the antibiotic regimen for the UTI. I am behaving and drinking water (no beer allowed) and staying out of the sun as directed by the data sheet for the Rx I am taking.

I have to admit I am getting a bit of cabin fever. However, I am getting all sorts of things done indoors in the coolness the AC. I am getting really good at the Tetris, Mahjong and Solitaire games on my cell phone.

Mr B and I are watching a lot of baseball, Law and Order and John Oliver :LOL:. It's kinda neat being here all the time with him while he takes breaks from studying for the IRS enrolled agent program. I'm usually on the go, out and about while he does that.

4 more days and it's PARTY TIME :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom