Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #18761
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Have acquired another $5 turkey.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #18762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Yeah, I think that's what DW said to her friend during our wedding reception.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #18763
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone play Strat-o-matic baseball? I've been in a local league in NC since 1987. Great fun for serious baseball fans as described in the article:

Strat-O-Matic fans have played game for 25 years - Toledo Blade
Old 11-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #18764
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

I know you mentioned you were having duck for Thanksgiving so why all the frozen turkeys too? Are you donating them or just love turkey?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #18765

Went to the store this morning for some groceries and found several hundred newly cut trees for sale outside the door.
Really? Now?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #18766
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Put winter tires on suburban and car.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #18767

I've been looking for a roll top desk for a long time. The antique ones are too expensive and the newer ones are usually made to house a computer system or are made of pressed wood. Finally found a solid oak one about 30 years old for a decent price. Got it set up and moved all my stuff from an old drop front secretary to the new desk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00J0J_4BmYE1WMV6V_600x450.jpg (36.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #18768

Beautiful, Nodak. You did well.
I bought a similar rolltop as a young man for what seemed like a fortune to me at the time. Paid over $500 (the equivalent of about $3,000 today) but I loved it so much I just had to have it. It was originally made in 1915 from solid oak.

I used that desk for over four decades until I finally had to give it up. It got so beat up from my constant moving in the military that I just couldn't repair it any more.

Here's hoping you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #18769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Went to the store this morning for some groceries and found several hundred newly cut trees for sale outside the door.
Really? Now?
I went to the grocery store last night and they had the Salvation Army bell ringer on duty already.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #18770
Give me a forum ...

Imagine being able to buy Christmas trees, and hear Rudolph music over the PA year round too? Would that not turn one into Ebinizer Scrooge?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #18771

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Beautiful, Nodak. You did well.
I bought a similar rolltop as a young man for what seemed like a fortune to me at the time. Paid over $500 (the equivalent of about $3,000 today) but I loved it so much I just had to have it. It was originally made in 1915 from solid oak.

I used that desk for over four decades until I finally had to give it up. It got so beat up from my constant moving in the military that I just couldn't repair it any more.

Here's hoping you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.
This one has an unusual feature that I have never seen before. The two side wings with the roll top track in them are hinged and latched on the inside. They can be swung open to make an open flat work surface. Although I can't think of a single time something like that would be useful. The darned thing is 60 inches wide and 32 deep. More than enough work area. I don't expect to ever have to buy another desk. I thought this one was a steal at $650.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #18772
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
We each made a trip to the grocery store today to acquire $5 hams. Which were cut up and vacuum sealed and frozen.
Taking advantage of door busters has resulted in a full fridge and freezer.

Goose has been moved to fridge to thaw for Thursday.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #18773
Give me a forum ...

I got a new battery for my Venza, to replace the one that has been in it for almost six years. It was time; we had to jump it three times in the past 24 hours just to get it started.

It took Sears two and a half looooong hours just to replace the battery. Either that, or we were stuck in a severe time warp.

We decided that was enough to accomplish in one day. Honestly I don't know how I ever had time for this stuff before retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #18774
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got a new battery for my Venza, to replace the one that has been in it for almost six years. It was time; we had to jump it three times in the past 24 hours just to get it started.

It took Sears two and a half looooong hours just to replace the battery. Either that, or we were stuck in a severe time warp.

We decided that was enough to accomplish in one day. Honestly I don't know how I ever had time for this stuff before retirement.

What a coincidence. I put a new battery in my F-150 today. It has been barely starting for the last few weeks. I still had the original battery since I bought the truck in mid 2009.

I also started work on the cheese boards that I'm making for Christmas gifts. Probably going to make about 10 of them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #18775
Give me a forum ...

If I did not have another car, I would drive to Costco to buy another battery and replace it myself right in its parking lot.

Time: no more than 30 min, but then I am only 3 miles from the nearest Costco.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #18776
Moderator Emeritus

Got tires rotated on the 2014 Passat diesel. Ordered cabin and fuel filter for the 20,000 mile service I'm about to do this week.

Wow, 20K miles in one year. Guess I am driving less these days.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #18777
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I did not have another car, I would drive to Costco to buy another battery and replace it myself right in its parking lot.

Time: no more than 30 min, but then I am only 3 miles from the nearest Costco.
That's great! You should get a part time job at Sears.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #18778
Give me a forum ...

We have extended family in town for the holidays so we went to an Italian restaurant for lunch, followed by a walk and then happy hour at Skates on the Bay, a waterfront restaurant with pretty views of the bridges and San Francisco all lit up at night. Some family members hadn't seen each other for many years so it was a special day to all be together.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #18779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's great! You should get a part time job at Sears.
Or offer to do the same for other people.

The problem is that I would do it myself rather than wait because I value my time too much, so I would have to charge my customers the same value. They would not pay that much though.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #18780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I've been looking for a roll top desk for a long time. The antique ones are too expensive and the newer ones are usually made to house a computer system or are made of pressed wood. Finally found a solid oak one about 30 years old for a decent price. Got it set up and moved all my stuff from an old drop front secretary to the new desk.
I know you wanted a rolltop, but you could have had my antique drop front secretary desk for $75. I can't give it away. I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist. Started at $260, now down to $75. I'm moving. Have to do something with it. I also have a beautiful vintage china cabinet no one wants. Down to $90 on that one. Just gave away 2 antique Persian rugs. Horrible market for antiques lately.
Closed Thread