Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #18801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I'm about to get whacked by a hurricane/tropical storm. A first for me (and my wife).

I am both frightened and fascinated by this fact.
Stay safe!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #18802
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Stay safe!
That is our current plan.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #18803
Moderator Emeritus

Saw more turkeys in my driveway than on our table
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey.jpg (622.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #18804
Give me a forum ...

Had another Thanksgiving Day fiasco. I mentioned last year that when we started cooking our turkey in our FL snowbird home (first time), the oven wouldn't heat up because the element was burned out. We ended up cooking the turkey on the grill the day after, while eating McDonald's for T-Day dinner.

I replaced the element, but we obviously never bake (I grill a lot) because we hadn't ever tried it out since then. So today when I started the turkey, it reached the target 160 degrees in less than an hour, instead of the 3-3.5 hours it was supposed to take. The oven was set to 325, but I think it's off by over 100 degrees. Before we replace it I'm going to buy a hanging thermometer just to see how far off it is.

So, the turkey was cooked, but still white and nasty looking on the outside. It will be fine for sandwiches and soup, but we ended up walking across the street and having seafood. We're not having much luck with Thanksgiving, but the weather is beautiful so who cares.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #18805
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Had another Thanksgiving Day fiasco. I mentioned last year that when we started cooking our turkey in our FL snowbird home (first time), the oven wouldn't heat up because the element was burned out. We ended up cooking the turkey on the grill the day after, while eating McDonald's for T-Day dinner.

I replaced the element, but we obviously never bake (I grill a lot) because we hadn't ever tried it out since then. So today when I started the turkey, it reached the target 160 degrees in less than an hour, instead of the 3-3.5 hours it was supposed to take. The oven was set to 325, but I think it's off by over 100 degrees. Before we replace it I'm going to buy a hanging thermometer just to see how far off it is.

So, the turkey was cooked, but still white and nasty looking on the outside. It will be fine for sandwiches and soup, but we ended up walking across the street and having seafood. We're not having much luck with Thanksgiving, but the weather is beautiful so who cares.
Exactly! Who cares, it's you're Thanksgiving not anyone else's. Besides, the seafood sounds delicious.

We decided to skip the family get-together this year, and that the two of us would just partake in a very low key, quiet meal at a Chinese restaurant instead. But when we got there, we found out that the Chinese restaurant was closed even though it is always open on holidays.

What to do, what to do? We hastily picked a Creole/Italian restaurant nearby instead. They had an abbreviated menu but at least they were open. The food was good, but I had to bring half home in a box.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #18806
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Solution: Most grocery chains sell cooked turkeys for Thanksgiving for those who are "cooking challenged"
Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #18807
Give me a forum ...

My newlywed daughter and son-in-law hosted Thanksgiving at lunch today for the extended family. Many were out of town, yet we still had 21 in attendance. As usual, everybody brought more food than they could eat, so by the time we got to the turkey we barely made a dent in it.

Life was good, and it was made even better with a bottle of calvados.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #18808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Solution: Most grocery chains sell cooked turkeys for Thanksgiving for those who are "cooking challenged"
Hey! I'm actually a pretty good cook, when given functioning tools.

Down here in FL, we just really never use the oven. I've gotten really good at grilling in the dark. I have a fancy (ie. Rube Goldberg) lighting setup involving my high powered LED lamp, some Stanley clamps, and my fence, and I almost never produce hockey puck hamburgers.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #18809
Give me a forum ...

When we were in FL recently our hostess was showing us a grilling spatula that had a light built into the handle that shown light down the handle to the spatula. Looked like it would work great.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #18810
Administrator

Today is "The Trekking of the Trees Day" here in Connecticut. Every family in the state is required by law to strap one or more newly cut Christmas trees to the top of their SUV and drive down the Merritt Parkway. Or at least it seemed that way while I was coming home from NJ.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #18811
Moderator Emeritus

Workshop is in full production mode putting out cheese boards and cutting boards for Christmas gifts.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #18812
Moderator Emeritus

Stomach flu.

Oh well, I'd rather be retired with an unpleasant case of intestinal distress, than still working in perfect health.

I'll be fine. Imodium is my friend today.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #18813
Give me a forum ...

Helped my wife clean up the dying squash vine. Yes, it just got down to the 50s recently here in the low-elevation SW. Two weeks ago, I turned the vegetable bed, added steer manure, and seeded bok choy, collard green, and garland chrysanthemum. We have always had good luck with these three leafy vegetables. The little seedlings are coming up very nicely.

Never had any luck with tomato, but this year I am going to try again. Did a bit of research on the Web, and found I made so many basic errors. Will also do snap peas.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #18814

Finally installed win10 on my laptop. Went to the library, only to discover neighborhood library was closed for the long weekend, so went to the larger library 2 miles away and got books there.

Did some sniffing around the internet for cyber deals. Thinking about the tivo roamio because our tivo series 2 is officially obsolete thanks to Time Warner encrypting everything... (Series 2 doesn't have a cable card.) This is for the kids tv - so I'd repurpose our Tivo Premiere xl to the kids tv, and set the Roamio for our tv. Lots of research has me choosing the roamio over the roamio plus or pro since we might actually cut the cable cord going forward.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #18815
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
... Did some sniffing around the internet for cyber deals. Thinking about the tivo roamio because our tivo series 2 is officially obsolete thanks to Time Warner encrypting everything... (Series 2 doesn't have a cable card.) This is for the kids tv - so I'd repurpose our Tivo Premiere xl to the kids tv, and set the Roamio for our tv. Lots of research has me choosing the roamio over the roamio plus or pro since we might actually cut the cable cord going forward.
I do not watch much TV, hence never had a TiVo let alone a Roamio.

I think I will wait for the Juliet.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #18816
Give me a forum ...

So, after a couple of hours, another 8'x4' planting bed prepped. Soil turned, amendment mixed in, seedlings transplanted, while the missus was out on an errand.

I have helped her with gardening before, but I have a more personal interest now. It is soothing to spend time working with the delicate seedlings, and giving them tender care. The snap peas are old and wrinkly. I think they will still germinate, but I am soaking them in water for 24 hours first.

Looking forward to good healthy eating off my backyard garden.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #18817
Give me a forum ...

Last night we took the train into the city to see a play. It is really pretty there this time of year with the cable cars and all the Christmas lights around Union Square. We saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. It was a cute play - maybe even funnier now than when it first came out in the sixties because it was so retro.

Today the Instant Pot thread inspired me and I'm making a healthy soup in my IP with fridge leftovers and using up stuff in the chest freezer so I can defrost it. This afternoon I have some errands and shopping to do and then we have play tickets for the evening.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #18818
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went out at low tide and collected clams.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #18819
Moderator Emeritus

Ordered some hand tool woodworking books. Now Christmas shopping with DW. Seems to be going ok.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #18820
Moderator Emeritus

Took 20 boxes of Christmas decorations out of the attic today. I thought we got rid of half this stuff when we downsized recently?