Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't retire until I was 59. Both my parents had died by then. If they had been alive, I'm sure they would have thought "Good for Indy!".

If I had retired at 55 they would have said the same. At 49, they would have wanted a little reassurance that I knew what I was doing.

My dad retired a little earlier (about 62) than he had planned, but he figured the job stress was significantly reducing his life expectancy (he was right).
He would have been happy to see me get out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #42

Neither of mine were alive, but I am sure they would have said 'Go for it!'. My dad might have ask if I was sure I had all the money issues covered, but he would have been for it 100%.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Dad died when I was in my thirties . When I told my Mom I was retiring she said Congratulations . She knows me well enough to know I would never do anything unless I knew I could do it . Besides she was also an RN and retired as soon as she got engaged and never returned to work so I guess she's a poster child for ER.

Nurse here as well. Long hours, poor shifts, etc. were a reason for my early retirement. I moved close to my parents when I retired at 47 yo. I think they're pleased, but sometimes I wonder. Father retired at 55, so you'd think he'd understand. I still feel the need to rationalize why I ER'd. But anyone who has been in the nursing field understands why there's a desire to ER.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #44

When I retired at 58 my dad had been dead for 39 years, my mom for 15. Neither voiced an opinion.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I still feel the need to rationalize why I ER'd.
In the end, the need to rationalize your ER is driven only by yourself. Pulling the plug on a career which may or may not be difficult to re-enter is always a tough decision as exhibited by many posts on this board. So a little rationalization and mutual consensus is always on the menu. But by the time you're a big kid with a career under your belt, what family or buddies think is only important to the extent you choose it to be.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

points well taken
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I still feel the need to rationalize why I ER'd.
After nine years of practice, now when I get that attitude from a questioner (usually along the lines of "But you're too young!" or "You'll be so bored!") I just respond with a sympathetic chuckle.

If I really want to screw home the point then I ask them when they last went surfing. It's even better if I get the chance to ask the question before my ponytail is dry.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But by the time you're a big kid with a career under your belt, what family or buddies think is only important to the extent you choose it to be.
+1
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm only 2 yr into ER. I'm learning.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #50

Not sure why you would care what your parents say? Or anyone else for that matter?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

MIL thought it was a bit presumptuous to retire so early until spouse retired right after me. Then early retirement was OK.

The best part of my retiring at age 54 (besides naps, doing whatever whenever, etc.) was my older brother decided to retire when he turned 60. I think his retirement added a couple of decades to his longevity now that the stress and the traveling are over. His wife is certainly happier.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Not sure why you would care what your parents say? Or anyone else for that matter?
Parents can be more interfering and push a lot more buttons a lot faster than the rest of one's friends & acquaintances.

One shouldn't care. But the emotional triggers make that a lot more difficult than it seems.

I used to envy my spouse sometimes for having healthy parents who were still present in her life. Then I got to know them better and now I understand why she envies me for not having my parents in my life.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Danmar, because I respect them, and their opinion duh!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I think acceptance is something we all seek, sometimes unconsciously. It seems to be a part of living in society.

Nords, MIL was amazing, generally keeping her opinions to herself. She was fiercely independent though until the last 2 years.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom42 View Post
IMHO, it was a logical question.

Not all parents deserve respect (believe me). Just because they had a moment of passion that resulted in your "being", dosen't necessarily mean that they are worthy of respect, by you or anybody else.

I understand Danmar's comment.

If you feel satisfied with your relationship with your parents, good for you. Just remember that not everybody has this same situation, and the comments (including mine) on this thread are an indication of that reality.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm well aware that not all parents are great. I've never suggested "everyone" should care what Mom and Pop had to say. Danmar doesn't realize that some people on earth have had good parents? I'll stand by my "duh".
Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Sure but I find the question a little strange. Ie that you would still be looking for support for this decision given your obvious maturity. It is such a personal decision the only response that would make any sense is " Great, as long as you can afford it and that's what you want". Obviously not very useful if you are looking for some kind of justification. Maybe your parents are more interventionist than mine? Mine were great parents and I have a very close relationship still with my mother who is 86. But I wouldn't have asked for their opinion. They were very happy that I could afford to RE but did not offer an opinion on whether I should.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #58

Quote:
I'm well aware that not all parents are great. I've never suggested "everyone" should care what Mom and Pop had to say. Danmar doesn't realize that some people on earth have had good parents? I'll stand by my "duh".
This response was not called for.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents didn't retire until age 65. My dad practically had to drag my mom into retirement kicking and screaming - not because she thought they needed the money; she liked the power/prestige of her job.

DH's dad retired from the military at age 52 and dabbled in insurance for a short while thereafter (a year or two). DH's goal has always been to retire at age 55 (next year). If he doesn't get laid off first, he may delay due to the uncertain economy and uncertainty about SS and Medicare.

I'm sure my mom thought he was nuts (for wanting to retire) until he was diagnosed with Crohn's. Life is short.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
This response was not called for.
Sorry for offending, you're right, but I thought yours was not called for. Maybe you read more into it than I meant. I didn't need their support, or anybody's, (except for spouse of course) I would have done it either way. At my age I hear alot of "what? you're crazy". It simply was a matter of thinking "hey that's pretty cool" when they thought it was a great idea, because I respect their opinion. that's it.