Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #21

DS is home for the summer for probably hopefully the last time. Since he's been a camp counselor for the last 4 years, we'll see more of him than usual. But he'll have a nasty commute to a 9-5 engineering internship starting next Tuesday, while DH and I enjoy our ER freedom

Today he slept late, went out with his HS buddies for lunch, sprawled on the sofa with his (ever present) laptop watching TV for a couple of hours, then went to the driving range with some subset of aforementioned buddies. Came home to watch more TV, rehydrate, and change, and is now out playing soccer with more buddies. I'll save him some leftovers.

Haven't heard from DD, which is normal and generally means all is well.

PS - Nice idea for a thread, especially in the summer!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Our daughter's buying plane tickets. The Navy's agreed that if she'll spend the money to fly to Hawaii, then they'll fly her from there to Bangor for her summer training. So she gets a week of quality family surfing time before she goes on cruise, and a couple more weeks after it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My sweet and lovely daughter just posted on Facebook that in a period of five minutes, while she had lunch cooking on the stove, her toilet overflowed; she slipped and FELL in it; her cat barfed on the floor; and then she found more cat barf by stepping in it (ewww!).
I hate these cliffhanger endings!

Please don't keep us in suspense, W2R: What did she have for lunch?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Our daughter's buying plane tickets. The Navy's agreed that if she'll spend the money to fly to Hawaii, then they'll fly her from there to Bangor for her summer training. So she gets a week of quality family surfing time before she goes on cruise, and a couple more weeks after it's over.

I hate these cliffhanger endings!

Please don't keep us in suspense, W2R: What did she have for lunch?!?
I suspect nothing, under the circumstances! Glad your daughter gets to come home for a while before and after her cruise.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

She posted that just a minute or two before I posted. I also reminded her to shut off the burners. I would imagine that as soon as she finishes cleaning up and sanitizing everything, she'll do something about it. That's if she even has an appetite any more. Poor kid!
Um, could you also remind her to wash her hands?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Oh and guess what? Her husband was so sweet - - he brought her flowers after all this happened. Ah, young love....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Um, could you also remind her to wash her hands?
Thanks. Yes, I already did that, even though she is 34 years old (I never seem to stop being her mom). I think this discussion is going in circles....

Quote:
I posted my sympathies and a suggestion to shower with LOTS of very hot water and soap once everything is cleaned up.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Don't have kids but do have 4 cats. Today, Eddie tried to book a trip for us all to go London for the Olympics. Good thing he doesn't have access to my credit card 3 digit code or my cell phone. Also good he doesn't have opposable thumbs.
Ooooooh, what a beautiful kitty!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #27

On Sunday he graduated college, and I got a $36K a year pay raise.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

I forgot to mention that my daughter got promoted . She was an Assistant Dean but now she is the Dean of academic Studies at a small college in New York.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My son (& DIL) took their 4 yo to the hospital early this am to have his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-23 tristan 2.jpg (388.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #30

"Snow Day" gone bad...

DD#2 is a 15 y.o. high school sophomore. Good kid, straight A's on most report cards. I don't remember the last time she got in trouble.

About noon, waiting for the elevator before going to an out-of-office meeting, I see she's sent me a text. The school lost power and everyone was sent home. I call her: "Dad, I got ride and now I'm home. All's well."

I stop at the busy store downstairs and grab a sandwich to go, then walk 5 blocks to the car. (I work downtown.)

The "gone bad" part starts as I'm getting in the car. It's a call from DD: "Dad, I know I'm gonna be in trouble, but...... um........ uh........ I took the spare car and drove it to the grocery store for some lunch. And now the battery's dead."

It took a while for that to sink in....there was long pause while I contemplated various scenarios involving a solo driver on the road with just a learner's permit. Finally, I just said "Sit tight, I'll call you back". Click.

I called my appointment to report I was going to be late, then called DD back for another very short conversation to pin down where she was at the MegaGrocery parking lot and when I would arrive. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

On the way, my phone rang again. She reported she had gotten the car started. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

You should now be getting the idea that I was making her sweat, not giving away much at all in the way of reactions. Certainly no hints on what her fate would be at the end of this little adventure.

Conversation #4. Me: "Well, I'm on the second row at the MegaGrocery parking lot. Where are YOU?" Long pause at her end this time. Breaking voice of DD: "Oh no...Did I say MegaGrocery? I'm at Whole Foods."

This time, I did give away just a bit of a reaction. "Sit tight. I'll be right there" was delivered with plenty of extra enthusiasm.

So I arrive at the Whole Foods, locate DD, then hop out of the car only long enough to say "I'll follow you" and to point at the exit.

DD exhibited perfect use of turn signals on the trip home, as you might expect.

She pulls into the driveway. I stop in front of the house and wait. She makes a walk of shame down to the curb and I roll down the window. "Give me the key. We'll talk when I get home."

I stayed late at the office just to prolong her agony an extra hour. In the end, though, I let her off with a pretty easy with just a Dragnet-style interrogation and some loss of liberty until finals are over.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My 15yr old daughter just won gold at the Canadian National Fencing Championships in the under 17 womens category.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

My son is preparing for finals. My daughter went to a picnic at work.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your children may be embarking upon international travel, passing the bar, taking linear algebra, having babies, mowing the lawn, playing golf, or otherwise engaged in laudable adventures and accomplishments... but here, I'll out-do you all:

My sweet and lovely daughter just posted on Facebook that in a period of five minutes, while she had lunch cooking on the stove, her toilet overflowed; she slipped and FELL in it; her cat barfed on the floor; and then she found more cat barf by stepping in it (ewww!).

She's all right, but hey, way to go, slick! I posted my sympathies and a suggestion to shower with LOTS of very hot water and soap once everything is cleaned up. Her day has to improve from here on out.
I am always amazed at my facebook friends who are so diligent that they are able to do things like overflow a toilet, slip in the effluent, have a cat barf and step in it while concurrently live-blogging all the excitement. Multitasking indeed!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My daughter is about to deliver my new grandchild . Hopefully I will be meeting him in the next ten days !
Well?? I hope you have lots of kisses and hugs stored up for him and his big brother!

My kids are going away for Memorial Day weekend today, one to another state, one to another country.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
"Snow Day" gone bad...

DD#2 is a 15 y.o. high school sophomore. Good kid, straight A's on most report cards. I don't remember the last time she got in trouble.

About noon, waiting for the elevator before going to an out-of-office meeting, I see she's sent me a text. The school lost power and everyone was sent home. I call her: "Dad, I got ride and now I'm home. All's well."

I stop at the busy store downstairs and grab a sandwich to go, then walk 5 blocks to the car. (I work downtown.)

The "gone bad" part starts as I'm getting in the car. It's a call from DD: "Dad, I know I'm gonna be in trouble, but...... um........ uh........ I took the spare car and drove it to the grocery store for some lunch. And now the battery's dead."

It took a while for that to sink in....there was long pause while I contemplated various scenarios involving a solo driver on the road with just a learner's permit. Finally, I just said "Sit tight, I'll call you back". Click.

I called my appointment to report I was going to be late, then called DD back for another very short conversation to pin down where she was at the MegaGrocery parking lot and when I would arrive. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

On the way, my phone rang again. She reported she had gotten the car started. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

You should now be getting the idea that I was making her sweat, not giving away much at all in the way of reactions. Certainly no hints on what her fate would be at the end of this little adventure.

Conversation #4. Me: "Well, I'm on the second row at the MegaGrocery parking lot. Where are YOU?" Long pause at her end this time. Breaking voice of DD: "Oh no...Did I say MegaGrocery? I'm at Whole Foods."

This time, I did give away just a bit of a reaction. "Sit tight. I'll be right there" was delivered with plenty of extra enthusiasm.

So I arrive at the Whole Foods, locate DD, then hop out of the car only long enough to say "I'll follow you" and to point at the exit.

DD exhibited perfect use of turn signals on the trip home, as you might expect.

She pulls into the driveway. I stop in front of the house and wait. She makes a walk of shame down to the curb and I roll down the window. "Give me the key. We'll talk when I get home."

I stayed late at the office just to prolong her agony an extra hour. In the end, though, I let her off with a pretty easy with just a Dragnet-style interrogation and some loss of liberty until finals are over.
The kind of trouble you don't really worry about a good kid getting into. Great story! In five years you can tell her we enjoyed it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Boy, did that take some courage. Most kids that age would be calling their friends for a battery jump.

So-- at what age did she start driving, and does she have enough miles yet to take the driver's license road test? And what culpability does your older daughter (or school friend?) share in this newfound skill?

I guess the good news is that our kids save these little defiant expressions of independence & bad behavior for those whom they love the most...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #37

The older daughter is out of the nest, in another city, so she was not in on the deal. Joe Friday was unable to identify any local accomplices.

#2 took on-line, "parent taught" drivers' ed. She passed the final virtual classroom module last weekend. She also has completed all of the driving hours needed to take the driving test when she turns 16 in about 6 weeks. She's young in her class peer group, with several friends already driving. In the teenage pea-sized brain, I'm sure that equated to "I'm fully qualified, so this is no big deal. It's just paperwork."

Truth be told, I'm a bit implicated. A couple of months ago, we ordered some food to go from a restaurant at the entrance to our subdivision. I surprised her by tossing her the keys and telling her to go solo over three residential blocks to pick up dinner. (No repeats, however, despite several requests.) If you give a mouse a cookie...

There's certainly several pieces of good news in the story. #2 got busted on what is probably her first significant lapse in applying judgment in an adult situation. She didn't call a friend, which probably would have resulted in a successful cover-up and added confidence for future conspiracies. I didn't blow up, so I think she'll come back to me or DW if when there's some other kind of trouble in the future.

And I got off cheap - DD#1's learning-to-drive story involved driving the family sedan into the back wall of the garage.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I surprised her by tossing her the keys and telling her to go solo over three residential blocks to pick up dinner. (No repeats, however, despite several requests.) If you give a mouse a cookie...
Ouch. "But Mo-om, Dad said it was OK!"

I'm just glad that I didn't have to go through the parental part driver's ed more than once. Once was more than enough!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ouch. "But Mo-om, Dad said it was OK!"

I'm just glad that I didn't have to go through the parental part driver's ed more than once. Once was more than enough!
I was too scared to ride with Christina when she had her learner's permit. To me it seemed like she was driving like a blind man - - at stop signs, she would stop in the middle of the intersection and such. Luckily her father stepped up to the plate, and patiently rode with her and taught her enough that she could take driver's ed at school. He took her out to an abandoned air strip, where she had a huge expanse of concrete to practice on with no danger of running into anything. There, she finally learned the relationship between turning the wheel and where the car went.

Later, we gave her more and more independance with the car and we were not aware of any breaking of our rules. However, a couple of years ago she told me that when she was a high school senior, she drove to Houston (from College Station), with a girlfriend for the afternoon when they were supposed to be over at the friend's house.

Sometimes it is better to just not know these things....

Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #40

When I was a kid one could get a drivers license in ND at the age of 14. I got mine at that age and it seemed that as soon as I had it my parents quit driving if I was with them. I'll never forget coming from a town of 1500 and driving through Winnipeg Manitoba at that age.