Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was too scared to ride with Christina when she had her learner's permit. ... Luckily her father stepped up to the plate, and patiently rode with her and taught her enough that she could take driver's ed at school.
It seems to be a father's rite of passage. Probably because the mothers have better sense than to strap into the "Seat of Doom" with a learner behind the wheel.

The theory in our house was that I'd trained a lot of junior officers to be watchstanders on nuclear reactors and submarine periscopes. Surely that was scarier than a 15-year-old driving a car.

Of course my daughter and I can laugh about it now. But Hawaii state law for the age-16 road test requires 40 hours of daytime driving, and another 10 hours at night...

She's coming home next week for the first time since she bought her own ride, and it'll be interesting to see if she cares about driving our boring ol' Prius anymore. Now that she's a regular Houston driver she probably has more experience and better reflexes than me.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The theory in our house was that I'd trained a lot of junior officers to be watchstanders on nuclear reactors and submarine periscopes. Surely that was scarier than a 15-year-old driving a car.
Not quite!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry
"Snow Day" gone bad...

DD#2 is a 15 y.o. high school sophomore. Good kid, straight A's on most report cards. I don't remember the last time she got in trouble.

About noon, waiting for the elevator before going to an out-of-office meeting, I see she's sent me a text. The school lost power and everyone was sent home. I call her: "Dad, I got ride and now I'm home. All's well."

I stop at the busy store downstairs and grab a sandwich to go, then walk 5 blocks to the car. (I work downtown.)

The "gone bad" part starts as I'm getting in the car. It's a call from DD: "Dad, I know I'm gonna be in trouble, but...... um........ uh........ I took the spare car and drove it to the grocery store for some lunch. And now the battery's dead."

It took a while for that to sink in....there was long pause while I contemplated various scenarios involving a solo driver on the road with just a learner's permit. Finally, I just said "Sit tight, I'll call you back". Click.

I called my appointment to report I was going to be late, then called DD back for another very short conversation to pin down where she was at the MegaGrocery parking lot and when I would arrive. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

On the way, my phone rang again. She reported she had gotten the car started. "Sit tight. I'll be there in a few minutes." Click.

You should now be getting the idea that I was making her sweat, not giving away much at all in the way of reactions. Certainly no hints on what her fate would be at the end of this little adventure.

Conversation #4. Me: "Well, I'm on the second row at the MegaGrocery parking lot. Where are YOU?" Long pause at her end this time. Breaking voice of DD: "Oh no...Did I say MegaGrocery? I'm at Whole Foods."

This time, I did give away just a bit of a reaction. "Sit tight. I'll be right there" was delivered with plenty of extra enthusiasm.

So I arrive at the Whole Foods, locate DD, then hop out of the car only long enough to say "I'll follow you" and to point at the exit.

DD exhibited perfect use of turn signals on the trip home, as you might expect.

She pulls into the driveway. I stop in front of the house and wait. She makes a walk of shame down to the curb and I roll down the window. "Give me the key. We'll talk when I get home."

I stayed late at the office just to prolong her agony an extra hour. In the end, though, I let her off with a pretty easy with just a Dragnet-style interrogation and some loss of liberty until finals are over.
Am understanding correctly that she violated the terms of the learner's permit, and then you did exactly the same thing to avoid having to go back and get the second car?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Am understanding correctly that she violated the terms of the learner's permit, and then you did exactly the same thing to avoid having to go back and get the second car?
Yes. Not exactly logical, I admit. I didn't think that through at the time.

By all skill-based measures, she is in fact ready to drive on her own. The one mile route back home is all on 30 mph residential streets. To the extent I did think about what might happen in the trip home, I figured any officer pulling over our slow-moving, turn-signal-using little caravan would be an ally in making this a day of lessons in bad karma for DD.

Glad you didn't pull us over, T-Al.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad it turned out OK, and sorry I got a little judgmental there.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #46

This seems to be a time for talking about kids driving. Today (well Saturday) was my younger son's first foray driving alone. In his case, however, this was after he took and passed the driving test last Tuesday and actually got his full license.

It was actually a long, somewhat torturous process. He had been eager at 16 to get his learner's permit (yes, legally he could have done it at 15, but we preferred 16). Once he got his learner's permit he hadn't been as enthusiastic to drive as he had started out. I think he found it more difficult than he anticipated so he spent 2 years in the learner's permit mode, turning 18 early this month.

He always drove fairly well during the past 2 years but was always a little tentative so we didn't push him. But the past few months he has driven very well and once he actually had time to learn how to parallel park (something he never actually has to do in real life but it is still on the test) he was ready to test. He then found out that testing was so backed up he had to wait several weeks before he could test.

So today he went out on his first alone trip. I was actually very nervous the entire time he was gone although rationally he has driven very well when I ride with him. I was still very glad when he arrived back home....
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Last Saturday my daughter gave birth to my new grandson and he is a cutie !
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Jenny did this:

I wonder if she's seen this:

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yay!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Congratulations! Hope you are having fun with the first one.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I read through a lot of the posts here and enjoyed them.

Our DS graduated from college a few weeks ago. He is a late bloomer and this has been quite a journey. He was interning with a mid-size advertising firm as part of his senior year courses and asked if they had a job opening. They had recently layed off a few workers. They put him through the wringer with about 3 or 4 interviews. Then he did not hear from them for a few weeks.

Last week he called somewhat dejected to say he got a job offer. It turned out the job was paying 10% less then the job his roommate got so he felt comparatively bad off . We discussed it and the offer details and told him how wonderful his news was. By the time we got off the phone his voice was pretty perky. He accepted the job and is now really excited to get started. I think his initial reaction was deer-in-the-headlights syndrome. He flew home for a week and will fly back tomorrow to start work on Monday.

I don't know if it's connected but I had a bad dream about work last night and lost some sleep. I'm so glad I'm not working now. But DS really needs to get started in the work world and we get a bonus too since he'll be 100% self-supporting.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Moe, congratulations to the new baby, to your daughter, and to you. A very happy occasion!

Ha
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Grandma Moe.......or is it GrandMoe?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Or this:

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/323945
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #56

DD, SIL and two good friends of my grandson traveled to Pensacola this morning to visit the #1 grandson. He recently graduated navy bootcamp and is stationed at Naval Station Pensacola. He finally got a weekend off so his folks and friends went up to visit. He called back this afternoon to say hello to us and to say what a good time they were having. GO NAVY!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Just got a call from DS that he is being transferred back to our town and of course will bring his new bride with him--yay!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just got a call from DS that he is being transferred back to our town and of course will bring his new bride with him--yay!
That is certainly good news for you. I know the feeling well. We and the kids have always been a close knit family and have followed each other aroung the states just to be together. Nothing like family, at least for us.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Woo hoo!!! I am so happy for you!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is great news !