Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I get strange looks and then I offer the following:

"I always found work to be highly overrated"
I'm stealing a quote from around here when people tell me I will get bored: "When I've been bored before, I've never thought - 'hey, I'll go to work!'"

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
My roommate from college never held what I'd call a traditional job. As a writer (with published technical, non-fiction and fiction works on his resume) he spent decades roaming around the country working here and there as a contractor or self-employed. You'd never mistake him for a MegaCorp employee, yet he was working at having what he needed to get by. He always assumed I was the fool for selling three+ decades of my life to MegaCorp(s) and assuming the life of a lemming. Looking back, he wasn't completely wrong.........
Wasn't he? I did what you did. With a corporate career, if you play your cards right and have some luck, you can attain FIRE while still relatively young. That's generally not the case for someone like your roommate. And that might be fine, unless his work gets more difficult or less appealing as he gets up in years.

Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Wasn't he? I did what you did. With a corporate career, if you play your cards right and have some luck, you can attain FIRE while still relatively young. That's generally not the case for someone like your roommate. And that might be fine, unless his work gets more difficult or less appealing as he gets up in years.
My friend wasn't wrong for himself. Now in our greybread years and looking back, I can see where he would have not been happy in a MegaCorp environment, at least the MegaCorp environments I'm familiar with.

While you thrived in a MegaCorp environment and enjoyed life working there in those circumstances, it's not for everyone.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
My friend wasn't wrong for himself. Now in our greybread years and looking back, I can see where he would have not been happy in a MegaCorp environment, at least the MegaCorp environments I'm familiar with.

While you thrived in a MegaCorp environment and enjoyed life working there in those circumstances, it's not for everyone.
True. Life is certainly a case of YMMV. There's no set rule book. Keeps things interesting.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #45

So, if I manage my few (very few) million nut I'm an unemployed lazy no good bum. If I give the same few million to a "financial advisor" He/she is an upstanding hard working model citizen?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

The comment I find most perplexing is people saying that I look too young to be retired....as if looks have anything whatsoever to do with it! I learned early on to put a big smile on my face and say with a laugh....."Believe me, I'm old enough to be retired."

This is slightly off topic, but comes from friends and relatives. They will try to call, email, or text me and expect an immediate answer. It seems they can't imagine that I might be out and about doing all kinds of fun, interesting things since I am no longer working. Odd to say the least.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyandfun View Post
The comment I find most perplexing is people saying that I look too young to be retired....as if looks have anything whatsoever to do with it! I learned early on to put a big smile on my face and say with a laugh....."Believe me, I'm old enough to be retired."

This is slightly off topic, but comes from friends and relatives. They will try to call, email, or text me and expect an immediate answer. It seems they can't imagine that I might be out and about doing all kinds of fun, interesting things since I am no longer working. Odd to say the least.
No offence, but I don't find it odd or perplexing at all. As an early retiree, you are in the definite minority. Most people retire at 60+, or even much later. Judging you in relation to the entire universe of retired people, you are indeed unusual, so a comment along the lines of, "You look too young to be retired" makes perfect sense.

Take it as a compliment.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Either that I suddenly came into money out of luck ("Oh did you win the lottery?") or that I would prefer to get another job but simply haven't had any luck ("Hey why don't you do some pro bono work/teach/consult?")

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradaz2488 View Post
3) They think by not having kids it the only way to ER... ....
I've gotten this reaction a few times. I've never had kids so I don't know exactly what they cost, but I think I still would have lived a simple, LBYM lifestyle even if I had kids because financial independence was always a high priority for me. Ok, maybe I would have saved 50% of my after tax income instead of 70%, and maybe I would have retired at age 53 instead of 47, but I still would have retired at a relatively young age because it was important to me to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Four years ago I ER'd at 55 and often got the "you look too young to be retired" comment. I tell them I worked for 30 years and that usually ends the conversation. Sometimes I get asked what I do all day and then I tell them. I've never had a negative reaction nor has anyone chastised me for it or asked for retirement advice. A few have held me up as their idol for their future retirement. My example convinced a close friend to retire in the next year.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #51

not doing it early enough? I said I'd work for a few more months... PITA
Old 12-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #52

That I would become bored.