Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What do you do all day?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well of course CutThroat loves Alaska; he's a fisherman. Alaska is basically a fisherman's paradise--or any outdoorsman's paradise. I was never much of a fisher but I really enjoyed the scenery when fishing with my Dad as a kid. I lived in Alaska from 1976-1984.

An Alaska cruise doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't want to be stuck on the boat! I had the chance to go up there for work for a couple of weeks in 1998 and drove the wheels off my rental car. As soon as I got off work I'd take off to visit some other part of the state and the associated memories. I forget now the name of the river I used to go fishing with my Dad (not Bird Creek...it was up North), but in 1998 I found it and walked down the river a ways.

Anyway, everyone I've ever spoken to who has taken an Alaskan cruise loved it. Like I say, my reason for not wanting it is because I would never get back on the boat...I'd be off running from city to city to glacier to river to mountain to beaver dam to....well, lots of childhood memories.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re:  Gayl-- last-minute cruises
Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Re:  Gayl-- last-minute cruises

http://www.moments-notice.com/

$150 was their (almost literally) last-minute fare on NCL's inaugural inter-island cruise. I think it was purchased less than a week before embarkation, so you have to find a good air fare or be within a reasonable driving distance.

We also had an inside cabin, which for some reason is "less desirable", but the only time we were inside the cabin wasn't spent looking at the decor or portholes.

For flexible travelers, half price is routine. Paying 30% happens occasionally.

When our kid turns 13 (for the teenager's club) we'll match the school vacation schedule against the cruise prices, wait until a couple weeks before embarkation, and pounce.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alaska cruises are good if you are lucky enough to have good weather. Damp, drizzly, cool weather can be a real dampener on an Alaskan cruise. I've known people who had a wonderful time (with good weather) and others who have been quite disappointed due to poor weather. It pretty much is luck of the draw since there are no guarantees any time of a prolonged period of good weather. :-/

I lived and worked in Alaska for about 2 years and the enjoyment is pretty much proportional to the weather. I was never so amazed as to see so many cruise ships in any given harbor at one time, even in little places like Sitka. The towns gear their "tourist" hours to cruise ship arrivals and departures. 8)
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #24

We did an inside passage cruise to Alaska. The cruising part was all about food. It's basically like staying in a hotel for a week with a 24-hour Denny's in the lobby.

Alaska was beautiful though. Kayaking on a glacier-fed lake while the salmon are running is something everybody should experience. But I'm not sure I'd take a cruise to get there next time.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Alaska cruises are good if you are lucky enough to have good weather.
A large part of the cruise is the ship and what it can offer. I think it's a great way for a 1st or 4th visit to a particular site or if you are traveling alone. I often just pick a city and stay there for several days (or a month if abroad -- I now have bill payer service -- ATM's are everywhere). And the weather doesn't bother me at all ... SF can be dicey in the summer too. (plan on coming in the fall for better weather). Alaska is definitely on my list, but after the Mediteranean, Middle East, and England. Maybe I'll fly to England spend a week or two then cruise the Mediteranean. Oh to be retired with so much freedom!
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife & I are retiring July 2. We've been giddy just thinking of the freedom that we'll have to come and go as we please, when we please, to go where we want to go (or not go). This is like the Friday before the weekend of our lives. Even work has become easier knowing its a time of last things.

Might start a list for myself in three general categories -

cheap things to do daily ie practice piano, read, jog, kayak, hike, surf web, watch tv, learn to play computer games, walk dog, walk wife, try to keep up with wife joggin, swimmin, ....
daily

Inexpensive activties done frequently- camping, day trips, one-nite hotel stays- visiting grandchildren, movies, dining out, performances esp piano concerts

expensive outings - cruises, cross state border stays, kayaking out of state & out of counry rivers, travel to other countries - frequency once a year
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #27

Quote:
. . .
Might start a list for myself in three general categories -

cheap things to do daily ie practice piano, read, jog, kayak, hike, surf web, watch tv, learn to play computer games, walk dog, walk wife, try to keep up with wife joggin, swimmin, ....
daily

Inexpensive activties done frequently- camping, day trips, one-nite hotel stays- visiting grandchildren, movies, dining out, performances esp piano concerts

expensive outings - cruises, cross state border stays, kayaking out of state & out of counry rivers, travel to other countries - frequency once a year
That's similar to the what I did when I was trying to estimate our budget in retirement -- except I substituted archaeology outings for kayaking . It took us several months before we were making as many trips as my budget called out, but we are enjoying the freedom a lot now.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote