Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What Do You Do All Day?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
I'm struck by the number of folks that mentioned "napping" as one of their cherished ER daily activities. Naps?!
Some people just do not appreciate the finer things in life....

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #42

It is enormously exhausting wading through all these reports of retirement leisure.* I need a nap!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not fitted in much napping but I do sleep longer as mentioned (0900-1000 is wake up time).
My workouts are much more consistent and focused so I COULD imagine that I would feel like a nap after each. Good for recuperation and there are studies showing a boost in growth hormone when napping too - great excuse! (now one could also ensure one does not nap ALONE, adding some cardio to the nap). CHeers!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm struck by the number of folks that mentioned "napping" as one of their cherished ER daily activities.* Naps?!
When I take a 15 to 30 minute nap in the afternoon, I feel refreshed to do more things until bedtime.

It may not be as common here in the US, but it's a normal routine in Europe.

Don't most people feel a little lethargic in the afternoon, or is it just me?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
When I take a 15 to 30 minute nap in the afternoon, I feel refreshed to do more things until bedtime.

It may not be as common here in the US, but it's a normal routine in Europe.

Don't most people feel a little lethargic in the afternoon, or is it just me?
Absolutely. Those lunch carbs slam into my brain and stop cognitive processes in their tracks. And a 30-minute timeout returns me a couple hours' evening productivity that otherwise would be wasted sitting on my butt staring slack-jawed at a Windows Solitaire screen.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm struck by the number of folks that mentioned "napping" as one of their cherished ER daily activities.* Naps?!
Hey, when I was in college I use to always take a nap in the afternoon. When I ER, it's gonna be like rolling the clock back to the good ole days. Well..........not quite the same. The bodies in the skirts I will be chasing will look a little different.*
Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Gosh, I've never heard of that before. How do they sucker attract volunteers? What do you do? What will you get for it-- apart from a warm feeling of satisfaction-- free meals or free samples?
I had a friend tell me about it. All you do is hand out drugs. Great job, I guess. Something like a 4-hour shift, once a week. I've had trouble making contact with the organizer, she's been out-of-town and so have I. I'm gonna try it, and report back to you guys. If I don't like it, well. . .

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #48

Effective napping is a skill that takes years to develop. Nap too long, or at the wrong time, and you may not sleep well that night. And you must design your nap environment so as to avoid nappus interruptus.

If you become a master, you'll wake up with drool down to the couch, and feel like it's a whole different day from when you fell asleep.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #49

Nap..... we don't need no stinkin nap.

I normally get 7 hours sleep which seems to be enough to get me through the day.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

From the people that have responded I get the impression that you don't have much structure or commitments on a daily or even weekly basis. The sorts of activities described are what my mother-in-law (who is ERed) would call "puttering around". There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about volunteering. For the ER folks that volunteer, what does your typical day look like?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

LiveWell--
My hubs and I build/maintain trails at a state natural area and are out there several times a week--we also teach first aid/CPR to the staff/volunteers who work out there. We really enjoy it and I can devote lots more time to it than in my 60-70 hr/week working life when I had no life and was constantly exhausted.
But I only do this volunteering because I like it, and not because my life "lacks meaning" or something now that I'm not working...we should all be content to just "be" now and then.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell
From the people that have responded I get the impression that you don't have much structure or commitments on a daily or even weekly basis.* The sorts of activities described are what my mother-in-law (who is ERed) would call "puttering around".* There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about volunteering.* For the ER folks that volunteer, what does your typical day look like?
I'm in the final six months of a three-year term as Treasurer of a small non-profit. It involves a monthly meeting (Monday night, 2-3 hours) and an hour or two of paperwork/e-mail each week. Eight times a summer I'll spend a couple weekend hours handing out checks at one of our events. I've learned a lot and I've enjoyed the experience but I'll be happy to move on.

All my other volunteering has been an hour or two here&there or a one-day event. I think going somewhere on a regular basis would have to be pretty personally rewarding or it'd start to resemble the work environment all over again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
my mother-in-law (who is ERed) would call "puttering around"
She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses!

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses!*
Lifting weights makes me feel like I have done something also. Today I did 4 sets of 5 dead lifts with 225#. A few years ago I went heavier, but I hurt a knee and it has been a slow careful re-entry. I like to do some low power* light work or play after lifting; today I cut my grass.

I don't do any girlie-man body part stuff. Strictly deads, presses, cleans, chins and dips.

I play drums usually an hour or two almost every day. Sometimes more. One night a week I play with a bass player.

I also read quite a bit.

I would like to teach ESL, if it were handy to me. So far, the only opportunities I have heard about would require more driving than I like.

Ha

Old 07-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
She better get with me to the gym and see what she thinks about "puttering around" with some heavy squats and bench presses!
ben,
Talking about gym, I believe I just caught a chest cold thanks with the help of the A/C in my gym. I know that sometimes A/C may be a necessary evil (IMO) so I was wondering how cold are the A/Cs kept in most Thai commercial establishments.
I hope they are energy and cost saving conscious and keep it no lower than 72F 22C though I prefer minimum 75 F 24 C.

I have never owned an A/C and use fans to keep me cooler.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

All my other volunteering has been an hour or two here&there or a one-day event. I think going somewhere on a regular basis would have to be pretty personally rewarding or it'd start to resemble the work environment all over again...
You could be right. I'm gonna try this base pharmacy thing anyway, if I ever make contact. She did call yesterday, but I was out. I called her but she was out. Hmmm. Mebbe they don't need me. Back to napping!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Like in the cinemas in Thailand the settings generally seem to attract pingvins from far, far away...
Where I work out I often ask them to reduce the temp. and they do so swiftly, but bringing an extra shirt can be wise in places not so flexible. Get well soon! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
ben,
Talking about gym, I believe I just caught a chest cold thanks with the help of the A/C in my gym. I know that sometimes A/C may be a necessary evil (IMO) so I was wondering how cold are the A/Cs kept in most Thai commercial establishments.
I hope they are energy and cost saving conscious and keep it no lower than 72F 22C though I prefer minimum 75 F* 24 C.

I have never owned an A/C and use fans to keep me cooler.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
Like in the cinemas in Thailand the settings generally seem to attract pingvins from far, far away...
Where I work out I often ask them to reduce the temp. and they do so swiftly,
I guess if we wound up at the same gym, we'd drive the manager crazy;
here's one scenario,
ben: can you lower the temperature please?
a few minutes later mj enters gym
mj: would you mind raising the a/c a bit, it's pretty cold here.
a few minutes later
ben: I thought you were going to lower the temperature, it's very hot here.
manager to himself: those f---- farangs

Just another fine example of what I do all day.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben

Cheers!
LOL! I think the most strenuous thing she's done in a gym in the last 10 years is lifting her arms above her head while sitting on a yoga ball
Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

In my semi-retirement/part time life, today:

--5:30 dogs tap dancing to go outside. Told them to go back to bed
--7:00 dogs insisted I take them out. Got up.
--7:15 ate milk and figs for breakfast, while checking out this site and my email
--7:45 bs'd with DH for a while.
--8:00-9:30 took a dog for walk along lake superior and for a couple of swims. Water too cold for humans
--9:45 -11:30 worked on yard
--11:30 checked out this site, ate black bean soup DH made for lunch (um, um), called friend to confirm Mpls visit on Sunday, checked out this site and my email, bs'd with DH.
--afternoon lost track of time. Did some more yard work. Went to the grocery store. Finished a novel and started new one. Went and got a movie for tonight--Be Cool.
--5:30 had eggplant for supper. yum.
--6:00 on this site. Dogs licking my toes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote