Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi55 View Post
I'm ER, DW still works, says she's not ready to retire yet, has another year or two before she's feels she's accomplished some work related goals.
At least you have light at the end of the tunnel. My DW has stayed at home and her job just slowly evaporated as the kids grew up and went off to college. Now she's a home body, content to just do what she got used to doing (mostly in the house or an occasional outing with her buddies). So it's been a challenge to get her excited about any new things now that I'm freed up with plenty of time. So I've taken up piddling, at least for now (just a month or so in). We do have her longest cruise yet booked, but she's not too excited about it (talks about what could go wrong instead of how fun or cool it's going to be). So I guess you should use your time talking about and planning the agenda for when the day comes, because if you don't you might end up like me, hehe.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
We do have her longest cruise yet booked, but she's not too excited about it (talks about what could go wrong instead of how fun or cool it's going to be). So I guess you should use your time talking about and planning the agenda for when the day comes, because if you don't you might end up like me, hehe.
Sorry to hear...a long cruise sounds like a lot of fun. I hope she can find a way to relax and enjoy. It's one of my favorite things to do.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Also, we're considering learning snowshoeing and cross country skiing, as we camp in all sorts of weather.

Snowshoeing is pretty easy IMHO. Easy to do, but great exercise! The only time when things get tricky happens if you fall in some deep snow.

Usually I get in some good snowshoeing during the winter. This winter I haven't been able to go at all yet, thanks to the polar vortex that has been Minnesota this winter. Maybe I will get some in yet before spring.
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Snowshoeing is great. I take the dog out and we do on average 4 miles/day... 7 days a week.

We go if it 30 degrees or -30 degrees below... usually only strong winds will keep us inside. Living in AK... its my primary winter activity 6 months of the year.
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't expect DH to ER and I think he'll work beyond his retirement age if possible - he loves working. I have no problem finding things to do when he works and travel. I enjoy our home a lot and other than doing things at home, I do travel with siblings and friends, explore new eateries, hiking, golf. I have quite a bit of activities which I do on my own to fill my time like jogging, gym, movies, reading, playing piano, planning trips, cooking. Joining language classes, yoga, Pilate etc fills my hours too.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to hooters today, meet some old co-w*rkers.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, a little more than two months into ER; DH still has 18 months to retirement I do the following:

1. Food Shopping (getting into coupons a lot)
2. Clean house
3. Laundry
4. Take care of dogs
5. Reading
6. Watching TV (less now than before)
7. Cooking
8. Starting Astro-Photography
9. Working on coin collecting
10. Going to the gym 4 days a week
11. Other project as assigned or need doing.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not ER'd yet, but there is already a list of house projects waiting for me when I do, and DW is still working for another year or two. That's OK, because I sometimes miss having enough time to do things like that as I used to. W*rk gets in the way.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am coming out...I also am also a first class piddler...and love it. When the weather is bad, I head to the workshop with Pal (my shep), and before you know it, it's time to come in again and eat. Then talk with Pal about getting ready for the next day and his opinion on this or that...If the weather is nice, I like to be in the woods, on the water, and with my friends. My wife has her things she likes to do and I have mine. And sometimes we do things together or take a trip. But, I am happiest at home.

The bottom line...I don't ever get bored. There's always something to do that's interesting. Not like work used to be...bored, handcuffed, and wasting another day.