What do you drive?

2007 Acura CSX Type S which is a tuned up 6-speed Civic for the Canadian market with 160k miles on it. Model 3 is on reserve!

Just curious what you retirees are rolling in, I'm pretty low key in a 2014 Passat,. My brother is also retired and loves his toys - 2 Harley's, a chevy 4x4, and a 2012 Benz

2017 Subaru Outback. Before that, 2009 Outback, before that, 2000 Outback.... looks like a pattern :LOL: I tend to stick with what works..... :cool:

I really like gadgets to ease my driving life - acc, lane control, blind spot, braking hold, rear camera. Was in stop/go other day & just sat there as car drove itself till it told me to touch the wheel (Annoying, it was doing just fine. Did it think I went to sleep?) & then let it go again on its own. Net, 2015 MB C300.

I can think of several reasons, for starters:

Maybe some one is in the market for a 2003 diesel Jetta with 312k miles on it, or a 2004 Hyundai XG 350L with 38K.

Now my Jetta is a real jewel with those miles. And it's a 5 speed manual that routinely gets 45 MPG. In April, I drove her to Connecticut and back (to Texas) and put 3,700 miles on it. It's not for sale (unless I get the right offer of course).

BTW, DW bought a 2005 Hyundai XG 350L new in that year and loved the car. We gave it to the daughter when it had 120 K miles on it.

We drive a lot here in Texas!

Your house looks very much like the house we owned in Texas. Any chance it's a Ryland home with a floorplan that starts with a "H"?

Yep, Ryland home. But since we bought it well after it was built, I don't know the designation of the floorplan. Ryland built over 400 of their homes here with several varieties of floor plans from 1700 - 2900 sq. ft. in size.

Last edited:
Did someone mention boats? Yeah I've played that game. But I'll stick with my 2011 pontoon for now.
As far as cars go - DW's 2005 Lexus ES is still in service. Probably the best LT car choice from a total cost perspective. I'm driving a 2015 Chevy Equinox from a total short term cheapskate perspective.

2017 Subaru Forester
1996 Dodge Dakota (soon to be replaced)

2014 Ford Explorer
2012 Honda Civic SI--prepping to sell
2008 Lexus IS250--prepping to sell
2003 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab diesel--RV tow vehicle w/low miles
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible

Gettiing rid of above two vehicles in order to buy a 2018 Camry Hybrid.

2012 Lexus IS350 AWD with 60,000 km (about 37,000 miles). This was my 55th birthday gift to myself and should carry me through a decade of retirement. In some ways it does not seem worth the price, until I think of which features and performance I would give up if I wanted something cheaper. Then there is nothing I would rather have.

Before that I had a 1994 Honda Civic CX, bottom of the line hatchback model with 5 speed and "Armstrong" steering. Radio, right hand mirror and body side moldings were all options. Great car that I had for 18 years and sold mainly because it was getting so old I worried about getting stranded because of a breakdown. Almost all of my driving is city traffic or freeway or remote highway where a breakdown can be costly and a big hassle. If your car dies in a small town you call a friend with a rope to tow you home. In big city traffic you call a tow truck and wait while passing drivers honk their horn and make rude gestures.

Edit: The Civic replaced a Honda Prelude that was stolen. The cops recovered it and it looked really forlorn in the wrecker's yard sitting on the front brake rotors with 2 donut spares for rear tires (I assume the wrecker put them on to enable towing it from wherever it was found). :(

Hopefully the Lexus will last longer than the Civic. :D

Last edited:
Pretty utilitarian and boring here. 2008 Toyota Tacoma with almost 100,000 miles. Which replaced a 2004 Tacoma that got stolen. Which replaced a 1985 Toyota Pickup that I ran for 20 years and 300,000 miles. It can haul the mountain bikes and kayaks and is good for camping and general home and yard work use.

My wife drives a 1996 Saturn SL2 that she wants to run into the ground. It's pretty close at this point.

I think most people just want autos for transportation...

No, not most people. Just people like myself. :)

A 2009 Toyota Venza. :D It has barely over 26,000 miles on it.

Oh boy, you get out a lot, don't you, to have lunch everyday? ;)

My wife's 2003 Nissan SUV has 30K something miles. It spent most of its life sitting in the garage, and I had to buy new tires for it due to tire rot.

Last edited:
DH's ride: 1995 Dodge Ram PU 1500. Has about 180k miles, I think.
My ride: 2006 Toyota Highland Hybrid. Has about 118k miles.

We're looking at replacing the HiHy.... but haven't figured out with what. Looking at a few year old Subaru, Rogue, or CRV. I want a smaller car, DH wants it to sit high, and we both want stickshift... that limits our choices.

2014 Honda CRV...bought to pull behind Motorhome.
2017 Honda Ridgeline, which replaced an F-350 DRW Lariat. We had the F-350 to pull a very big trailer, and was no longer needed and uncomfortable to drive without a load. The Ridgeline drives great, but I'm finding that it doesn't have quite as much towing oomph as I'd like...don't tow often but would like it to be a safe and comfortable experience when I do. So I'll probably either trade up to a Tundra, or just add a Tundra later this year when the clearances heat up. Eventually I hope to add one of these for fun. https://www.eliomotors.com

I'm not retired, can I play? 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo (first car and toy), 1993 Ford F150 (beater/work truck), 2004 (the TeenDuh) and 2012 Honda CRv's (wifes car).

You have your first car? Wow! That's cool. Mine wasn't worth having but if I could have my old favorite back, that would be sweet. It was an 1987 Grand National - it got stolen.:( When I got married 36 years ago, my wife had a 1974 Monte Carlo which was her first car. Unfortunately, finances dictated that we had to drive that one into the ground. It was a good car though.

Oh - the thread - I drive a Chevy truck and an Equinox. Thinking about getting an Impala when my lease on the truck is up.

We're looking at replacing the HiHy.... but haven't figured out with what. Looking at a few year old Subaru, Rogue, or CRV. I want a smaller car, DH wants it to sit high, and we both want stickshift... that limits our choices.

Do not buy a 2007 CRV . That was a bad year for Honda for air conditioning & paint .

I drive a 2000 Nissan Xterra w/ 144k miles. It's slow and heavy, and will make a great first car for both my kids in a few years.

Next car will be either a VW GTI, or a Honda CR-V. The CR-V would be the more practical choice, but the GTI would be a lot more fun.

I think most people just want autos for transportation. That being the case something not too expensive and durable will fit the bill. I really like driving and therefore a large part of the reason I have autos is for entertainment. Comparing my choices to others would be useless and only cause an arguement. Furthermore, why would anyone care how many miles you have on it?

A car as basically an appliance may meet some people's needs. Not me. I need something that I like and makes me happy to drive. I have too many cars to list. My daily driver for the past month has been my 52 GMC hot rod pickup.

A 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 with too much stuff on it. The thing started down-shifting for me the first time over a pass. I'd skipped the section of the manual about downhill assist.

DW has a 2 door 2010 Wrangler with almost 18k on it. It's a wonderful vehicle for many trips.

2007 Rabbit. Bought it new. It hasn't even crossed the 35,000 mile marker yet and looks nearly new. I don't drive a lot, and cars are strictly utilitarian for me. I really like the fold down back seat/hatch--holds a ton of stuff.

You drive like me. I have a 2007 Corolla (CE, the low-end model which lacks power windows) and I bought it new. It has about 31,000 miles and still has a little bit of its new-car "smell.". It replaced a 1991 Geo Prism (which is also a Corolla) I bought used in 1992 with 10,000 miles. I added about 50,000 miles in the 15 years I owned it.

I like the split fold-down rear seat in the Corolla, handy for putting lots of stuff in the car.

2010 Honda Pilot - now the "family car" driven by the 16 yr. old, will pass to the younger when she goes to school.
2016 Yamaha Concierge street legal golf car. Good only for the 'hood and going to the beach, too slow to get on the main road to the grocery store.
2017 Honda Accord Coupe V6 - my daily driver

Mmmm Hmmm!

But, not always 'between the lines." :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom