What do you eat for lunch?

A couple of grilled hot dogs today. One mini ice cream sandwich for desert. Pretty darn good. ;) May take an extra cholesterol pill tonight.:-\

Eat edamame if you are looking for fiber and non animal protein.

And don't confuse this with Dame Edna!

I had hummus, pita chips and a cold beer. :dance: I'm liking this "no-workie" stuff.

Today's lunch was some pecans and peaches.

Could you post the kale soup recipe?

Ha

I first had this version of kale soup after reluctantly agreeing to try a small bowl at a local mom and pop Portuguese restaurant. I generally don't like to have soup at restaurants.

Saute some white onion and cut up sausage (I make my own hot sausage) in a few tablespoons of olive oil.

Pour in chicken stock (I also make my own chicken stock).

Throw in very fine shredded kale. I just bunch it up and slice through from top to bottom as fine as possible with a sharp knife. It will look like a lot but it will all wilt in the stock.

Make a batch of very thick mashed potatoes and add it to the stock. I like my kale soup on the thicker side, so I use a few more potatoes than a normal recipe would call for.

Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.

I first had this version of kale soup after reluctantly agreeing to try a small bowl at a local mom and pop Portuguese restaurant. I generally don't like to have soup at restaurants.

Saute some white onion and cut up sausage (I make my own hot sausage) in a few tablespoons of olive oil.

Pour in chicken stock (I also make my own chicken stock).

Throw in very fine shredded kale. I just bunch it up and slice through from top to bottom as fine as possible with a sharp knife. It will look like a lot but it will all wilt in the stock.

Make a batch of very thick mashed potatoes and add it to the stock. I like my kale soup on the thicker side, so I use a few more potatoes than a normal recipe would call for.

Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.

Thank you. This sounds very good!

Ha

Bowl of plain brown rice
2 apples
1 sliced cucumber (with skin) from our garden

Everyday, my wife and I go for a walk (3-4 miles) during my lunch break and then she makes us a blueberry protein shake for lunch. Not particularly low in calories, but very tasty:

1 cup frozen blueberries
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 tablespoon flax-seed oil
1/4 cup almonds or walnuts

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. The frozen blueberries make it cold and thick like a shake.

Since I am working I have different choices. But on days I am not in the mines, we tend to do one of several things:

- Ploughman's Lunch: hunk of cheese, some decent bread, something pickled (pickled onions, chutney, pickles, kim chee, Branston Pickle, etc.), and lots of fresh veggies. Half pint of bitter optional.

In my opinion the pint isn't optional. Combined with nap = Heaven

I am not retired yet, but I think that I will probably save 1/3 of my dinner each night for the next day's lunch, along with a piece of fruit and a cup of skim milk.

The nice thing about being retired is that it doesn't have to be something easy to carry to work. It could be chicken parmesan, or grilled fish, or so many dishes.

Another thought - - I might make a huge batch of homemade vegetable soup and freeze it in one cup portions. Then I could just nuke one for lunch.

I am not retired yet, but I think that I will probably save 1/3 of my dinner each night for the next day's lunch, along with a piece of fruit and a cup of skim milk.

The nice thing about being retired is that it doesn't have to be something easy to carry to work. It could be chicken parmesan, or grilled fish, or so many dishes.

Another thought - - I might make a huge batch of homemade vegetable soup and freeze it in one cup portions. Then I could just nuke one for lunch.

I do that.

I got talked into going to Arby's...:rolleyes:
I needed my strength to go get my vaccination shot. :D
I had their Philly steak sandwich, which was surprisingly good. Water to drink and no curly fries.

Black coffee and powdered sugar covered Bavarian pastry with the guys down at the doughnut shop - around 11ish.

heh heh heh - :D

Last edited:
1 slice turkey with cheddar cheese on a ciabatta roll with mayo,1/2 cup tomato/chick pea salad, dill pickle spear and water.

Leftovers, mix and match with what else is in the fridge.

Are you what you eat?

I think you need to go a little wild if you are going to enjoy ER...

I'm with Dex on this.

How about an artichoke? (yes... the really big ones and with lemon butter)
Make a fast pizza on a Pita - cook it on your grill.
Do something fun with fresh corn tortillas
Make a pot of minestrone soup and freeze it in lunch size servings
Go out for lunch.
Sleep late and call it breakfast?

Got a date with the in laws tomorrow. Their treat :) Probably some hot and sour soup with some good egg rolls and fresh strawberries for dessert. Just costs me a bit of manual labor and a smile on my face :D

I usually make 5 virtually identical salads on Monday morning for lunches that week. Here are the ingredients:

1 small plastic box of baby spinach leaves
1 container of grape or cherry tomatoes
1 bag of small peeled finger-sized carrots
1 package of dried cherry or craisens
1 pint of fresh mushrooms.
hard-boiled eggs or string cheese (leave in shell or plastic wrap until lunchtime)

I don't wash any of the ingredients. I simply line up 5 black plastic short bowls from Chinese take-out. Put in spinach leaves, tomatoes, carrots, dried fruit and an egg or cheese. Slice enough mushrooms for the 5 lunches an divide up among the 5 containers. Seal with the plastic lids. It's a colorful lunch with the dark green, bright red, bright orange, yellow and white all together.

When eating be sure to have croutons and salad dressing handy.

It turns out that the ingredients (except mushrooms) last a few weeks in the fridge, so one can buy larger amounts. I like the fact that there is virtually no cooking and no prep time needed (about 3 minutes to make 5 lunches if the eggs have already been boiled). So if I don't feel like a salad on Tuesday, I just leave the container in the fridge.

The salad is good by itself, but could be supplemented with yogurt (uh-oh :angel: ) or a leftover slice of pizza. But I'll warn you: You will get lots of comments about eating healthy if people see you with this lunch.

When cooking dinner, I usually make enough for lunch as leftovers - put it into a tupperware container and it's ready to go in the morning. Even when I wasn't working regularly during the day, I would use the morning of one weekend (or a day in that case) to make several meals and then divvy into containers. Soup is *very* easy and loved in this house - plus you get lots of servings :)

I like the beans idea, too. Another thing that can go far in terms of numbers of servings.

For variety, add different side 'dishes': cherry tomatoes, crackers, pieces of fruit, yogurt, cookies/cake (I bake those from scratch as well), carrot/celery and yogurt or cottage cheese dip, lately I've been making cottage cheese vegetable salad - chopping up veggies and then mixing with cottage cheese.

You could make mini quiches in a muffin pan, or savory muffins/sweet muffins. These are very easy recipes that allow you to control the ingredients and again have many servings for little effort.

When retired, you have the time to do some research about the cooking, ingredients and possible time efficiencies in preparation - I've found awesome books to accommodate this.

Gook luck in your retirement!

Made a blender veggie soup for brunch, with coffee and whole wheat English muffins. Stopped at Godiva Chocolates for a milk chocolate basket with chocolate mousse and fresh blueberries and raspberries (about the size of two pieces of chocolate, $4.50). Bought coffee to go with it at the movies ($3.50) and three hankie movie ($8.25), “Departures.” I try to spend less for the food than the ticket price. Will do it again, the basket, that is.

I like to get lunch over with in a hurry and get back to ER. I usually stack some cold cuts, roll them up and eat it over the sink. I call this accelerated repast "sink meat". DW is not a fan.

Back
Top Bottom