Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I like the answer "same kinds of things you do on weekends".
I like this one too!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Snuggle with my wife on a weekday morning.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I am not FIREd yet... but I have two possible answers.
  • Truth - not putting up with BS at w*rk
  • Lie - It was the worst move I ever made. Such a bad decision, you should consider continuing to work as long as possible {and support SS}.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I usually tell people that I'm un-employed.
They don't know what to say to me after that.
Although my credibility was 'challenged' as I sat at a poker table in LV with a pile of chips in front of me.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm going to print some business cards for myself.

"Consulting Quantum Econophysicist"

I can hand them to the curious and enquire as to whether they've seen my recent paper on "Relationships Between Gold Futures, D-branes and Fluxes in Supersymmetric Quantum Mechanics."

That should be a real subject-changer.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

"I'm so busy now, I don't know how I ever had time to work."
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #47

I'm a dilettante.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I'm a dilettante.
Just because you no longer have to earn a living with what you do, it does not follow that you are a dilettante.

But you can be one if you want!

Audrey
Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But you can be one if you want!
Exactly. One of the benefits of retirement is being able to dabble in lots of things that I'm not an expert in, without needing to pass myself off as an expert to get a job.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If they ask me in one of those you can't really be happy tones, I reply....'I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, nothing.'

That usually gets an odd look or two.

Thats exactly what I tell them as well.

Rick
Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #51

Planning on leaving my employ of 25 years in 2009, I really envision myself to become "semi-retired" and embarking upon a new career with flexibility of hours and control of my destiny. (just don't know what that is yet)
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #52

I've been hit with this question a lot lately. I try to explain that I do whatever and that no I'm not traveling because I still have two old pets. The last rude response I received was "well you are just watching your life go by". This guy is several years older than me and still working. I don't think running to court everyday and listening to people's problems is exactly living it up (he still is contracting with the courts representing clients). I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
I've been hit with this question a lot lately. I try to explain that I do whatever and that no I'm not traveling because I still have two old pets. The last rude response I received was "well you are just watching your life go by". This guy is several years older than me and still working. I don't think running to court everyday and listening to people's problems is exactly living it up (he still is contracting with the courts representing clients). I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?
Absolutely NOTHING - - especially when ER has been your goal, you have achieved it, you are enjoying it, and he is still selling his soul for a dollar.

Probably the guy is green with envy and trying to justify his inability to be where you are, in life. That still doesn't excuse his comment, IMO.

I probably would have said something like, "Why, yes I am and I am enjoying the h*ll out of it, thanks for asking!"

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #54

When I was still working some of us asked one guy who had retired the "What do you do..." question and his response made us all jealous.

"Well, when I get up in the morning I have a decision to make. Shall I go golfing or fishing? After that the day's all set."

That seems to about sum it up.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #55

As Paul Simon wrote/sang....

"One man's ceiling is another man's floor"....

I'm at the "place" that they wish (someday) to be.

I don't need to make excuses for my life. If they have a problem with my lack of "must/have to do", that is their problem, not mine.

As the saying goes, "what you think of me is none of my business!"

- Ron
Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?
Agreed! I have the "honor" of being part of a rescue group (Shelties). Usually, I'm the one that get's the "hard cases" - those dogs that have a "bit of life left" but are "unadoptable" because of their problems.

My last rescue had kidney failure. Due to that, he was "unadoptable". I took on the challange, with the hope that he would see "4 seasons" before he passed. Well, he lasted 10 months, and saw all four seasons before he left us.

Our current Sheltie rescue came to us due to his home environment. His original "owner" threw him off an apartment balcony, shattering his back leg. He went to rescue, and went through a few folks till we got him. His last home had a few young kids (not "Sheltie material") who pulled on his leg just to get him to bark.

Anyway, I "adopted" him with the expectation that he would be with us just a short time. Well, it's almost three years, and he still "limps along" (sounds like a lot of old folks).

I haven't been given the "gift" of grandchildren (I won't either), but if I can give a little to take care of a couple of "old beasts" (no, not my DW! ) I'll take it.

Anyway, my hope is that heaven is indeed the "rainbow bridge" (Google that term for further info).

- Ron
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #57

Quote:
"well you are just watching your life go by"
Watching your life go by is much better than missing it altogether.

I think it's all in the viewer's perspective, are they watching from inside the cell or outside.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Watching your life go by is much better than missing it altogether.

I think it's all in the viewer's perspective, are they watching from inside the cell or outside.
I am reminded of a line from a Jimmy Buffett song:
"...and twenty more years slipped away."

So?

I am content with my lot.

Perhaps he is not?