what do you tell ppl when they ask what youre doing after you "early retire"?

Planning on leaving my employ of 25 years in 2009, I really envision myself to become "semi-retired" and embarking upon a new career with flexibility of hours and control of my destiny. (just don't know what that is yet)

I've been hit with this question a lot lately. I try to explain that I do whatever and that no I'm not traveling because I still have two old pets. The last rude response I received was "well you are just watching your life go by". This guy is several years older than me and still working. I don't think running to court everyday and listening to people's problems is exactly living it up (he still is contracting with the courts representing clients). I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?

I've been hit with this question a lot lately. I try to explain that I do whatever and that no I'm not traveling because I still have two old pets. The last rude response I received was "well you are just watching your life go by". This guy is several years older than me and still working. I don't think running to court everyday and listening to people's problems is exactly living it up (he still is contracting with the courts representing clients). I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?

Absolutely NOTHING - - especially when ER has been your goal, you have achieved it, you are enjoying it, and he is still selling his soul for a dollar.

Probably the guy is green with envy and trying to justify his inability to be where you are, in life. That still doesn't excuse his comment, IMO.

I probably would have said something like, "Why, yes I am and I am enjoying the h*ll out of it, thanks for asking!"

When I was still working some of us asked one guy who had retired the "What do you do..." question and his response made us all jealous.

"Well, when I get up in the morning I have a decision to make. Shall I go golfing or fishing? After that the day's all set."

That seems to about sum it up.

As Paul Simon wrote/sang....

"One man's ceiling is another man's floor"....

I'm at the "place" that they wish (someday) to be.

I don't need to make excuses for my life. If they have a problem with my lack of "must/have to do", that is their problem, not mine.

As the saying goes, "what you think of me is none of my business!" :cool:

- Ron

I refuse to kill off my pets because they now require more vet visits etc. and they limit my retirement activities. Besides what the h*ll is wrong with just hanging out?

Agreed! I have the "honor" of being part of a rescue group (Shelties). Usually, I'm the one that get's the "hard cases" - those dogs that have a "bit of life left" but are "unadoptable" because of their problems.

My last rescue had kidney failure. Due to that, he was "unadoptable". I took on the challange, with the hope that he would see "4 seasons" before he passed. Well, he lasted 10 months, and saw all four seasons before he left us.

Our current Sheltie rescue came to us due to his home environment. His original "owner" threw him off an apartment balcony, shattering his back leg. He went to rescue, and went through a few folks till we got him. His last home had a few young kids (not "Sheltie material") who pulled on his leg just to get him to bark.

Anyway, I "adopted" him with the expectation that he would be with us just a short time. Well, it's almost three years, and he still "limps along" (sounds like a lot of old folks).

I haven't been given the "gift" of grandchildren (I won't either), but if I can give a little to take care of a couple of "old beasts" (no, not my DW! :cool: ) I'll take it.

Anyway, my hope is that heaven is indeed the "rainbow bridge" (Google that term for further info).

- Ron

"well you are just watching your life go by"
Watching your life go by is much better than missing it altogether. :D

I think it's all in the viewer's perspective, are they watching from inside the cell or outside.

Watching your life go by is much better than missing it altogether. :D

I think it's all in the viewer's perspective, are they watching from inside the cell or outside.

I am reminded of a line from a Jimmy Buffett song:
"...and twenty more years slipped away."

So?

I am content with my lot.

Perhaps he is not?

Back
Top Bottom