Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If anyone asks me, sometimes I tell them "It's really none of your %%#@%& business what I do now, is it?".

Other times I may tell them "Whatever I d*mn well feel like doing. You got a problem with that?"

And even less often, I sometimes tell what I actually did the last few days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I cut back to working 3-4 days a week, but I still get the questions about what I'm doing with my spare time now and what will I find to do when I totally pull the plug. I tell them the boss (DW) has a list of house projects for me, + boating, biking, yardwork, woodworking, traveling.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

easy one...laughing all the way to the bank. now that would be mean to say, wouldn't it? <snicker>

out loud, i really say any of : volunteering, socializing, driving around, learning Playstation 3 gaming (gone to the dark side), planning my tomato & veggie garden, whatever pops into my head.

the reactions are either "way to go!" or you see that hooded expression with the darting eyes that says "i envy (hate) you!"
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #24

Oh, whatever I feel like doing that day. Drag out the boat & go fishing, maybe, if I feel like it. Go for a bike ride or walk along the C&O canal. Some TV. In the winter I pretty much hibernate. Have free time to spend with family. Read books.

Enjoy being disorganized, not having to deal with obnoxious people, heavy traffic, or anything else I don't like.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Generally I'm only asked very occasionally if I'm retired -- to which I reply somewhat hesitantly, yes. That's about as far as the conversation goes. Perhaps it's the grey hair and the fact I'm 59 that helps. Now if I were in my 30's it might be another type of conversation.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
easy one...laughing all the way to the bank. now that would be mean to say, wouldn't it? <snicker>
Well maybe, but gee, I really LIKE that one!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoying the rest of my life more fully with my dear wife!
And some gardening ...
And a little golfing ...
And a little fishing ...
And asking the youngun's why they haven't figured out artificial intelligence completely yet ...
And whatever I decide to do that morning when I wake up ... if I wake up.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

"I've dedicated my life to finding a way to eat bacon while sleeping"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #29

You're kidding........ aren't you?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
"I've dedicated my life to finding a way to eat bacon while sleeping"
Or I am a CPBC. Certified Professional Bacon Connisuer
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #31

unclemick wins... professional amature turdologist.

sounds too much like middle management to me, though.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Watching the squirrels.
I'm always on the lookout for squirrel...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well maybe, but gee, I really LIKE that one!!!
thank you thank you <she humbly bows>

it's so hard not to gloat with my still working friends. i try to be humble, i really really do, but this little devil on my left shoulder keeps stabbing me with his fork and saying "SCREAM it from the rooftop - I'm FIREd!!!!!!"

so you poor folks get to listen to me gloat...<groan> LOL
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I can't answer from the other side quite yet, but I am taking steps to put myself in a position to:

Have fewer activities, but more of what I enjoy doing, and doing it better than ever (which may take a little more time) --- at the expense of other activities that I did not enjoy or do well, but did them because I had to. Somehow I don't think I will lack for activities at all.

DW and I are identifying those activities and moving in that direction right now. We started with Ernie's Zelinski's Get-A-Life-Tree from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free - a great place to start IMHO unless you already know what you want, we didn't.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We started with Ernie's Zelinski's Get-A-Life-Tree from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free - a great place to start IMHO unless you already know what you want, we didn't.
I've had that sitting on my desk for a couple years now, but I've been too busy to get around to it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

ditto. it seemed too much like <gasp> work. but his list of new things to do on pgs 85-91 was a hoot. "watch someone work" has great appeal.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

"I'm not afraid of hard work - I can lie down right beside it and go to sleep."

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Im really not sure what Im doing. I'll be starting off by recovering from bunion surgery.
Then I tell them "wherever life takes me" - no real answer
"wherever life takes me" is a perfectly good answer. It is a real answer. The only reason it doesn't seem like a real answer is because that would not be acceptable in a job.

I love prgsdw's turnabout answer ""So what do you do when you're not working?"

Personally, I love the open ended adventure of having lots of unstructured time with no hard plans tying me down in the future. A very much "life is a journey" approach where one is more focused on the present and not so furiously goal-oriented as our working life demanded. Not that there aren't goals, it's just that we no longer have to answer to a someone else about how we use our time or what we have accomplished or not accomplished.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

[quote=audreyh1;621743
Personally, I love the open ended adventure of having lots of unstructured time with no hard plans tying me down in the future. A very much "life is a journey" approach where one is more focused on the present and not so furiously goal-oriented as our working life demanded. Not that there aren't goals, it's just that we no longer have to answer to a someone else about how we use our time or what we have accomplished or not accomplished.[/quote]

I LOVE your outlook on life..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #40

I like the answer "same kinds of things you do on weekends".
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote