Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard to believe but we pay $1400/month for everything...utilities, heated pool, all silver, dishes, linen, towels,pots and pans. We do the toilet paper, soap, garbage bags, paper towels...We helped some friends find a 2/2 fully furnished condo for 3 months at $1000/month, again turn key all utilities included.

We Need to be in after Christmas and before Easter when the families and kids flock to Disney...We do NOT deal with any realtors, managment companies, or booking agents...all just add a lot to the price. We sort of do the Retire Early or Vanguard theory and go directly to the owners and deal with them. No vacation planners, realtors, or other middle people to jack up costs.

This is our 4th winter. We have been 3 different homes. We changed homes as we have learned the area and looked for homes in very specific communities near Disney...hope this helps...Ted

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednvon View Post
Hard to believe but we pay $1400/month for everything...utilities, heated pool, all silver, dishes, linen, towels,pots and pans. We do the toilet paper, soap, garbage bags, paper towels...We helped some friends find a 2/2 fully furnished condo for 3 months at $1000/month, again turn key all utilities included.

We Need to be in after Christmas and before Easter when the families and kids flock to Disney...We do NOT deal with any realtors, managment companies, or booking agents...all just add a lot to the price. We sort of do the Retire Early or Vanguard theory and go directly to the owners and deal with them. No vacation planners, realtors, or other middle people to jack up costs.

This is our 4th winter. We have been 3 different homes. We changed homes as we have learned the area and looked for homes in very specific communities near Disney...hope this helps...Ted
How/where are you finding these rental homes? On ..VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals by OwnerŽ Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner or some other site?

omni

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Omni, VRBO is very good but literally has thousands of homes and condos in the Disney area. Unless you are real familiar with area, you can get really lost in the numbers and trying to email each owner individually. But it can be done....

Two sites I know of let you mass email owners with your dates and how much you are willing to pay per month. These are www.rentalo.com and www.lastminutevillas.net
We have had good luck with these two sites getting responses...

I suggest getting out the request at least 8 to 12 months ahead. If you want 3 months, you need to get to the owners before they have any weeks booked during those months or you are out of luck. Of course, you can try anytime but the closer to your dates the greater the chance they will have several weeks rented and it is a no deal. They would have liked to book you, but now are obligated to the few weeks they can get.
Of course all these folks want to fill the units with weekly rentals at $600 to $1000 per week. Some do and you will never hear from them. Others will tell you "no way for $1200" and give you a price. If you get an owner willing to work with you, usually they will have website with pictures of each room, the location. It is up to you to communicate with them about specifics.

Hope this helps...Ted
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents retired to Florida - but I never will. The heat, the large number of retirees - especially on the roads, and the hurricanes are enough to make it unattractive to me. If you're only there in the winter - than you only have to worry about the retirees.

One thing to consider is that Florida is all very low lying. Any rise in sea levels is going to be a huge problem there.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
I don't really relate to mobiles homes, so I can't comment on that lifestyle. Why not just buy a decent house (or condo) in FL instead?
One SIL & hubby own a double-wide in SC as a vacation home two blocks from the beach. They own the lot. I'd never been inside one and was impressed. From the inside it is almost indistinguishable from any other 3-bedroom house, except of course there's no basement or attic. There's an outside storage shed for tools/toys, and storage underneath for things that will fit and not be damaged by water/humidity. It has a screened-in porch with a hot tub.

I wouldn't reject the idea out of hand without looking at the area and the amenities available.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One SIL & hubby own a double-wide in SC as a vacation home two blocks from the beach. They own the lot. I'd never been inside one and was impressed. From the inside it is almost indistinguishable from any other 3-bedroom house, except of course there's no basement or attic. There's an outside storage shed for tools/toys, and storage underneath for things that will fit and not be damaged by water/humidity. It has a screened-in porch with a hot tub.

I wouldn't reject the idea out of hand without looking at the area and the amenities available.

I agree with you that inside the look fine and are certainly less expensive but I've seen them distroyed in storms that were not even hurricanes just tropical storms . We would lose a few tree branches and the mobile homes would lose their roof.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post
One thing to consider is that Florida is all very low lying. Any rise in sea levels is going to be a huge problem there.
yes, well, as you know everyone here is already walking around with their water wings on.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I agree with you that inside the look fine and are certainly less expensive but I've seen them distroyed in storms that were not even hurricanes just tropical storms . We would lose a few tree branches and the mobile homes would lose their roof.
Don't the newer ones have better construction, and new specifications on how they're bolted/attached to the ground?

I think I read somewhere that construction is much better than it was 10 years ago, such as steel beams and cables holding things together more tightly to resist wind damage.

But I may be mistaken.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Apparently they are better constructed !

Charley furthers debate on mobile home safety | The San Diego Union-Tribune
Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Cow Watch didn't get picked up by NBC. Well, at least the central valley of California has the mountains nearby so that there's always skiing, cycling, and rafting to enjoy. Central Florida is a long way from any interesting geography.
Have to agree about Central Florida geography. However, North Central Florida is quite the opposite. Gentle hills and amazing cycling roads, no snow skiing, but I water ski year round. There are lakes galore if fresh water fishing is your thing, and if you prefer the salt life, Cedar Key is about a 45 minute cruise. The landscape is filled with pines, deciduous oaks and absolutely gorgeous flora. Rafting? There are several rivers that fit the bill. My personal favorite is the Santa Fe...absolutely gorgeous for a paddler. There are also several fresh springs that pretty much stay around the low 70's and the cave diving is fabulous! There are also several huge state parks with multi-level biking trails that stick you right in the middle of nature preserves. Cow watch? I challenge you to walk the University of Florida campus and I guarantee you will not repeat those two words. Of course, the University also brings an amazing array of cutural events, entertainment, as well as a consistent top 10 sports program. Florida has an amazingly diverse landscape from flatland to wetland to forest to some of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see. Florida is so much more than just one area, but people continually stuff it into one pigeon hole. Just an FYI from one who enjoys the complete Florida lifestyle.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Sinny , I totally agree . I really like certain areas of Florida especially Gainesville .
Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great place and it's been good to me, but I want a change of scenery to go with a change in lifestyle. Not sure about the " where ", but it has to be in Florida and reasonably close to Gainesville. No rush so I have time to ponder.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sinny,
....The Itchetucknee (I bet spelled that incorrectly) area may be what you are looking for. Close enough to Gainesville but also kinda remote.
Jeff
Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Sinny,
....The Itchetucknee (I bet spelled that incorrectly) area may be what you are looking for. Close enough to Gainesville but also kinda remote.
Jeff
Hey Jeff.

It's spelled Ichetucknee and it is also a beautiful river! Great for tubing, paddling, and fishing. Beautiful scenery and a nice gentle flow. It's fed from the Ichenetuknee springs so it stays at a nice temperature. I especially like the live oaks along the banks and their branches covered with spanish moss arch over the river. Of course, the Suwanee is also close by and the state park there is one of the nicest around. Lots of hiking/biking trails along the river, cabin, campground, canoe rentals, too!!

Jeez, I sound like a one man marketing agent...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I floated Ichetucknee back in '77. No alcohol or drugs were involved...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Okay ,explain to me how people go tubing or water skiing in Florida .Don't the alligators nibble at your feet ?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay ,explain to me how people go tubing or water skiing in Florida .Don't the alligators nibble at your feet ?
Powerboats scare the gators away, I'm told. In the wild, they shun humans.

Now feed a few alligators in your neighborhood pond, or walk the doggie close to the bank at dinner time, that's another story.

Me, I don't go swimming in Fla rivers or lakes, but sure do enjoy the wildlife they attract.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I floated Ichetucknee back in '77. No alcohol or drugs were involved...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Rich pretty much explained it. Gators are shy and prefer other forms of prey. I've never experienced it, but I have a friend that skied right over a gator.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
They still have Big Daddy's Lounge in Gainesville? They used to have "Beat The Clock" nights, with drinks starting at five cents...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote