What do you think about Florida????

Great place and it's been good to me, but I want a change of scenery to go with a change in lifestyle. Not sure about the " where ", but it has to be in Florida and reasonably close to Gainesville. No rush so I have time to ponder.

Sinny,
....The Itchetucknee (I bet spelled that incorrectly) area may be what you are looking for. Close enough to Gainesville but also kinda remote.
Jeff

Sinny,
....The Itchetucknee (I bet spelled that incorrectly) area may be what you are looking for. Close enough to Gainesville but also kinda remote.
Jeff

Hey Jeff.

It's spelled Ichetucknee and it is also a beautiful river! Great for tubing, paddling, and fishing. Beautiful scenery and a nice gentle flow. It's fed from the Ichenetuknee springs so it stays at a nice temperature. I especially like the live oaks along the banks and their branches covered with spanish moss arch over the river. Of course, the Suwanee is also close by and the state park there is one of the nicest around. Lots of hiking/biking trails along the river, cabin, campground, canoe rentals, too!!

Jeez, I sound like a one man marketing agent...:D

I floated Ichetucknee back in '77. No alcohol or drugs were involved... :rolleyes:

Okay ,explain to me how people go tubing or water skiing in Florida .Don't the alligators nibble at your feet ?

Okay ,explain to me how people go tubing or water skiing in Florida .Don't the alligators nibble at your feet ?

Powerboats scare the gators away, I'm told. In the wild, they shun humans.

Now feed a few alligators in your neighborhood pond, or walk the doggie close to the bank at dinner time, that's another story.

Me, I don't go swimming in Fla rivers or lakes, but sure do enjoy the wildlife they attract.

Rich pretty much explained it. Gators are shy and prefer other forms of prey. I've never experienced it, but I have a friend that skied right over a gator.

u of f at g-ville has lake alice which is filled with the school mascots. wouldn't swim there but we used to feed the baby gators marshmellows which is so funny because sometimes they float out of their mouths. we weren't on drugs either. though, there was that one time i was walking along the boardwalk and ran into one of my professors getting stoned. what i won't do for a good grade.

i love gators though. once i was just a few feet away from one that was as big as the canoe. gorgeous. in the everglades here it is hard to sneak up to them just to get a picture. they scamper quickly into & under water.

haven't run into a croc yet though which have been reintroduced here. i understand they can be pretty aggressive.

They still have Big Daddy's Lounge in Gainesville? They used to have "Beat The Clock" nights, with drinks starting at five cents...

I don't recall a bar named Big Daddys, but I know a company of that name owned two bars here, The lamplighter and The Alibi. Not sure there are any of the bars left from that period. Dubs was still open when I got here ( 1985 ) but has since closed. Tom Petty ( Actually, Mudcrutch ) played Dubs at around the time you were here. Now, the clubs are all located on the University Avenue corridor. I believe the Old Florida Theatre is still a bar, but it's morphed from rock, to hip hop and everything in between. Gainesville had a pretty good music scene back then ( I hear stories all the time ) but it pretty much went comatose in the 80's and has remained that way.

u of f at g-ville has lake alice which is filled with the school mascots. wouldn't swim there but we used to feed the baby gators marshmellows which is so funny because sometimes they float out of their mouths. we weren't on drugs either. though, there was that one time i was walking along the boardwalk and ran into one of my professors getting stoned. what i won't do for a good grade.

i love gators though. once i was just a few feet away from one that was as big as the canoe. gorgeous. in the everglades here it is hard to sneak up to them just to get a picture. they scamper quickly into & under water.

haven't run into a croc yet though which have been reintroduced here. i understand they can be pretty aggressive.

There's now a " Bat House " on Lake Alice. Amazing sight at dusk when all the bats leave to feed.

ya, i saw it on a tv program. would love to see it in person. also i see they have a butterfly aviary. hopefully they won't get too beat up by fay. i'll have to do a road trip back to g-ville soon and check all that out.

ya, i saw it on a tv program. would love to see it in person. also i see they have a butterfly aviary. hopefully they won't get too beat up by fay. i'll have to do a road trip back to g-ville soon and check all that out.

The butterfly aviary is at the Museum of Natural History ( unless there's another that I don't know about ) and is amazing. There are certain times you can go into the aviary and the butterfly's are flying everywhere. Of course, they can land on you but you cannot touch them. They also have a pretty impressive research facility adjacent to the aviary. The museum itself is new ( moved next to the Centre For The Performing Arts and the Art Museum ) and is very, very well done. Worth the trip...except on game days:D

Back
Top Bottom