Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What do you want for Christmas?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
gone traveling

What do you want for Christmas?

(Or, whatever holiday you celebrate!)

I'm always hard to buy for... after a lifetime spent collecting the things I needed or wanted, there's really not much I feel I want or need now. I'm really grateful just to have time, which is something I always lacked in the past. So when family asks me what I want for Christmas, my answer is usually 'nothing, really'. For whatever reason that answer doesn't go over well.

What do YOU folks want for Christmas? Anything notable on your wish list for this year? Let's keep it reasonable, because no one's buying you a Lamborghini; the politicians aren't going to do what you want; and Scarlett Johansson is not available.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

a new set of wilson staff fg tour irons
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The kids asked DW and I what we would like for Christmas. We told them to come and visit and bring us some of their cookies. Funny, but now that we have more than enough $$, we don't much care...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I ask for donations in my name to worthy charities. I don't need more stuff.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
gone traveling

Only good health and happiness, don’t need any financial or materialistic items
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I asked my MIL for some of her cookies and homemade fruitcake. Delicious! And I normally don't like fruitcake.

I asked DH for a new iPad. I also came up with a list of other smaller things for friends and family I exchange with. One thing I love to get as a gift is Origins Smoothing Soufflé lotion. I can't justify buying it myself but love using it. A perfect gift!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

World peace... but more realistically a flannel shirt, a mug warmer, and a bottle of fountain pen ink.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A white Christmas!

World peace as a backup cause I don't think it's going to snow. DW told me to get a bottle of Absinthe for the holidays.

Hope everyone gets their wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A winning lottery ticket. I'm not greedy, I don't need $100 million. I'd settle for $1 million. That would allow me to never work again if I live modestly.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

A Hensley hitch for the Airstream. DS and nephew are coming for Christmas dinner. Our project for the day (and their gift to us) is working with DH to attach it to our AS Dream.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

Absolutely nothing.

Several years ago, DW and I agreed to not exchange gifts and it's made the season so much more enjoyable. We do stuff each other's stockings with some small tokens like candy, but that's it.

Same thing with DF. I think he was relieved not to have to pretend he liked whatever we gave him. After he died this year we cleaned out his house and found shirts we'd given him decades ago still in their original wrappings.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
World peace... but more realistically a flannel shirt, a mug warmer, and a bottle of fountain pen ink.
World peace sounds good to me, too! Right at the top of the list. I have never seen it, so I suppose this would be in the category of a novelty gift.

But more realistically, I'd like a couple of things I know I am going to get:

(1) A fresh, brand new 2018 would be perfect, hopefully with a continuation of the stock market rise that we have been seeing.

(2) Also I'd like to be done with the holidays because they cause so many to suffer with holiday blues. I know for sure I will get this too.

As for stuff, who cares, I don't exchange gifts and can buy what I want. So here's some stuff that I will probably buy eventually:

(1) An SUV (don't know what kind!).

(2) Some of those socks with a non-slip coating on the bottom, more practical with my wooden floors if I am not wearing shoes in the house but want the warmth of socks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Whirled peas as a backup cause I don't think it's going to snow.
fify
Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I forgot I also want one of those 2018 Rachel Dolezal calendars
Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Fun, lots of fun!

Sitting around the fire drinking hot toddies and watching Christmas movies, eating fine foods and drinking primo spirits. Visiting family and celebrating. Helping those with less.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

Bluetooth earbuds and a new wetsuit. If Santa doesn’t get the message, I’ll buy them myself after Christmas.

Something I sort of want, but realize it’s an unnecessary extravagance, is an espresso machine. We could afford to spend $1000 on the one I’ve been eyeing, but that feels like an awful lot of money for my one cup of coffee per day.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Something I sort of want, but realize it’s an unnecessary extravagance, is an espresso machine. We could afford to spend $1000 on the one I’ve been eyeing, but that feels like an awful lot of money for my one cup of coffee per day.
+1

I have a hard enough time sleeping now, after only 1 cup of coffee before 11 AM. With my luck, I'd buy the thing and then find out I couldn't tolerate any caffeine at all. Would have been nice to have back in my 20's, though!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
So that's only $2.75 per day if you use it for one year. 27 cents a day if it lasts 10 years. Sounds affordable.
But still way more than I'd ever pay for something that makes coffee!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Rare event: a good movie
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #19

Rare event: a good movie

The movie "Wonder Woman" on Blu-ray. I only go to about one movie per year, but earlier this year I took DW and 3 daughters to see this film.

It's just a very well done story. As a novelist in my spare time (when I RE I'll write full time) I am a student of storytelling. WW was presented in classic Hero's Journey fashion, with good character development and a solid, coherent plot. Too often, modern movies economize on those elements and then bombard the viewer with special effects to fill the gap. No thank you.

WW had a few action scenes but they were not what carried the movie. Sacrifice enables the hero to understand and fulfill her destiny. I will watch this one multiple times.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Honestly, DW and I usually purchase things as we need them, so x-mas wish list becomes rather moot at end of year.

But hey, since you're asking: Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GMaster Lens
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote