Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What does it mean to be retired? You can call yourself retired only if...
You do not work at all, no volunteer work and no paid work 8 5.80%
Volunteer work is ok, but no paid work at all 56 40.58%
Volunteer work or part time paid work is ok 18 13.04%
Any amount of volunteer or paid work is ok if you want to do it and you are financially independent 56 40.58%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
So I take it that you don't like the new and improved meaning of LITERALLY?

...used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

Amazing, huh?

Literally | Definition of Literally by Merriam-Webster
I can't stand it. People literally use it all the time. The misuse annoys me so much that I'm literally dying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I can't stand it. People literally use it all the time. The misuse annoys me so much that I'm literally dying.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

I define retirement as not having to be at the same place, at the same time, for the same amount of time, each day. Unfortunately, I am still stuck in the OMY mentality...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They might say "I'm retired" and that means "I'm retired [from my former full time career]".
That's me. I consider myself retired because I left a long career in one field and know I'll never go back, and I don't have to do anything else if I don't want to. This is usually how I phrase it: "I retired from a 30-year career as a __________ of ___________, and now I'm [insert latest interest here]."

Nearly two years in, I'm actively exploring other "jobs." This is a time to experiment and try things out. We have only one life, so for me sampling other vocations is fun and interesting.

That said, I can't imagine launching a full-fledged second career. How could I, when I have these requirements?

1. 10 hours a week max (per "job").
2. Must be very satisfying and enjoyable.
3. No early mornings.
4. Full independence; no supervisor, politics or BS.
5. Conveniently located.

Yep, I'm retired.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think people often use "retired" colloquially to mean the Webster's definition "leaving one's job and ceasing to get paid" even when they pick up another kind of work post-retirement. Everyone knows a retired police/firefighter/military guy/gal in their 40's or 50's that does some PI work, odd jobs, landscaping, woodworking, etc, right? Nothing full time, not always that well paid, sometimes just puttering around a shop or a business to pass the time and have folks to BS with.

They might say "I'm retired" and that means "I'm retired [from my former full time career]".
That's true, but there is a difference between saying "I retired from [former full time job] in 2011..." as compared to saying "I am retired." In the former case, I would not assume that the person is not working because they could have gone back to work at another job, whereas in the latter case I would (perhaps foolishly) assume that they are not working.

I know people who retired from one public sector job and then started working at another job (public or private) within days or weeks.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
'Retired', to me, is being unencumbered by the drudgery of employment.....gainful or otherwise.

+1

Enjoying life!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Retirement means I can enjoy doing what I want, when I want. Or I can be "Lazy" and it's not a problem.

https://youtu.be/hNZPNv0Df9c

I've had this playing in my head since I originally read this thread.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I consider myself retired. I retired at 56 being FI. I took about a year and did some traveling. I got an offer to spend time in Dubai - setting up a department and training them to do there work. (What I did for most of my working life for a Mega company) - I am now working on my 3, 2 year contract this time in SE Asia. I am now 62, finishing up my last contract (at least for now), I am retire, yep - I do the job because its interesting and I get to spend time in Great Locations. I get 6 weeks vacation, about 20-30 national holidays (They change throughout the year), they pay me very well. I go in and set up the group, train them, and then leave- Am I retired, YEP, but I do love the work, the locations and the interaction with the young people.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #49

I retired from full time work in a government office, but still get paid for the occasional music gig. However, since music is my hobby I consider myself fully retired with the good fortune to occasionally get paid for a hobby that I enjoy.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure what it means but the last month of not having to think about work,checking email, going to meeting and working on side project sure is nice.

If retire means doing that forever vs doing it temporarily that seems like a good thing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #51

Overall, retired beats rehired.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap470 View Post
I define retirement as not having to be at the same place, at the same time, for the same amount of time, each day.
Those conditions would have applied to most of my working career. Just because I had a variable schedule in several locations didn't mean I wasn't working an insane amount!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #53

I agree with Midpack in that, before retirement, FI was my retirement goal. I did not want to be reliant upon an employer for my financial certainty and security (a sorry state if ever there was one).

After retiring, retirement is my researching/studying/thinking in the morning, a midday nap, then reading at my favorite cafe in the afternoon. Heaven, basically.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

My take, if it is really important to someone, for some reason, to be able to call themselves "retired," then that person is not yet retired.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." William Shakespeare.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing special in this article, but it does illustrate how much "retirement" is being redefined (by the media, anyway).

Work a Little, Play a Little: A New Retirement Strategy

This did catch my eye:

Quote:
Based on a 15-year period of data from the University of Michigan’s Health and Retirement Study, the most comprehensive national survey of older Americans, the share of people reporting “very satisfying” retirements dropped significantly from just over 60 percent in 1998 to under 49 percent in 2012.
Hard to know what's behind the drop, although 2012 was not too long after the economic crisis.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
1. 10 hours a week max (per "job").

2. Must be very satisfying and enjoyable.

3. No early mornings.

4. Full independence; no supervisor, politics or BS.

5. Conveniently located.
You forgot unicorns...

Quote:
Yep, I'm retired.

Only five months FIRED, but I convulse at the idea of a "schedule"!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
If someone defines being retired as "any amount of work is ok so long as you want to do it and you are financially independent" then the "RE" part of "FIRE" is superfluous.

I think that being financially independent is different than being retired or being retired early. You can be financially independent (FI) but not be retired (RE). Likewise, you can retire (RE) but not be financially independent (FI). So, if you define retirement as being financially independent and you can work as much as you want, then the whole concept of retirement itself is superfluous because it adds nothing to the concept of being financially independent.
Not quite.
(FI) != (RE) != (FIRE)
Take Bill Gates 10 years ago, he was FI but worked his butt off so he was not (RE), but now he is still (FI) + (RE) = (FIRE).
For the wordy view:
You can be financially independent and still work at a job/career, later most folks would still be financially independent but cut out the work part by 80% or more and consider it to be retired.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #58

Funny how I had this conversation last week.
Retirement used to mean, finished work, sit by the lake and fish.
Pretty boring to me since I don't fish.
Now honestly I'm not sure what retirement really is, it's more like everyone has a different view of it, I do like the earlier comment how perhaps its like a spectrum and we are just somewhere along that line between working like a dog and freeloading.

Not being financially independent and not working could also be viewed as chronically unemployed.
Volunteering is simply working for zero dollars, so I see that the same as doing occasional paid work or selling a painting I created.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #59

By a lot of definitions here - I'm not retired.... I have taken college courses in Italian that require me to be someplace 2x a week on a fixed schedule... Plus I have to study for tests. The fact that this was something I always wanted to do (learn a foreign language) and never had time to when working, I guess, doesn't matter. I consider it a hobby.

By a lot of definitions here - I'm not retired... I still have school age kids and need to make sure they get to school, get to to water polo, etc... Dang - I should have met my husband a decade earlier and had kids much earlier. But... I didn't meet my husband till my late 30's - and popped out my kids as quick as possible when we got married... Perhaps I should send them to boarding school so that I can fit some folks definition of retired.

Oh - and I do some drudgery every week... That laundry doesn't do itself, nor does the kitchen clean itself after dinner. Guess I'll never be retired.

But - almost 30 years as an engineer - 20 with one megacorp (although the corporate name kept changing due mergers/acquisitions/spinoffs) I gave notice and quit. I won't be working again as an engineer and have no plans to go back to work for pay.... So I consider myself retired even though I still have obligations in life.

My husband is in an even bigger quandary. He retired after decades of being a licensed architect. Turns out he can't call himself a "retired architect" because California legally restricts that term to people who pay a fairly large fee for a "retired architect" license. He can say he "retired after working as a licensed architect" - but can't say he's a "retired architect" without forking over money. Ironically - CA - land where every software engineer is an "architect" - the word "architect" is very encumbered - and all those software folks are in violation of state business code.

Retired License - California Architects Board
Pathways - Become an Architect - California Architects Board Career Website
Old 05-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Rodi
I used to be a Professional Engineer but now I am just an engineer because I no longer pay a fee to be registered.

(Of course I stopped doing engineering work in 1971.)