Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Shining (1980) - IMDb

The first half was great, with nice suspense and fun surprises. Second more like a "get away from the slasher" movie, and the ending was unsatisfying.

I've read a lot of "Explain The Shining" web pages, but it's still not satisfying. There was an alternate ending that would have been better.

7/10

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Toy Story 3...pretty funny.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The Shining (1980) - IMDb

The first half was great, with nice suspense and fun surprises. Second more like a "get away from the slasher" movie, and the ending was unsatisfying.

I've read a lot of "Explain The Shining" web pages, but it's still not satisfying. There was an alternate ending that would have been better.

7/10

I think of this Onion article every time someone brings up The Shining.
Sasha Obama Keeps Seeing Creepy Bush Twins While Riding Tricycle Through White House | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
That movie did scare the pants off of me as a kid.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Fracture (2007) - IMDb

Fracture (2007) w/ Hopkins and Gosling. Entertaining, suspenseful. Thumbs up.

Netflix.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

North Face (2008) - IMDb

Extremely suspenseful and well done. I give it a 2/10 but I can't tell you why without ruining it for you.

The "Making of" feature is interesting, showing how the photoshop the video to make it so dramatic.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I also saw The Band at the Pasadena Civic center in 1971. We may have been at the same concert. You named some of my favorite groups; I don't think a period like that will happen again any time soon.
I agree with you , it was a magical time. And we likely were at the same concert. I think we went Friday night, but I am not a ticket keeper so not sure. Did you see the Byrds in Santa Monica Civic, I think the year before? Or Albert Collins playing a dance on Santa Monica Pier?

Did you go to the Ash Grove? One night I saw John Lee Hooker, who can you believe it, opened for Canned Heat? Also saw Mance Lipscomb there, as well as Lightning Hopkins, Doc Watson, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, etc! Wonderful times.

Ha
Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree with you , it was a magical time. And we likely were at the same concert. I think we went Friday night, but I am not a ticket keeper so not sure. Did you see the Byrds in Santa Monica Civic, I think the year before? Or Albert Collins playing a dance on Santa Monica Pier?

Did you go to the Ash Grove? One night I saw John Lee Hooker, who can you believe it, opened for Canned Heat? Also saw Mance Lipscomb there, as well as Lightning Hopkins, Doc Watson, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, etc! Wonderful times.

Ha
I saw John Lee Hooker opening for Canned Heat too, although on a different coast. A number of rock groups tried to bring their heroes into the public eye by getting them to open for them. IMO it was the least they could do since they were getting rich playing their songs. Hot Tuna and Rev. Gary Davis, Bonnie Raitt and Charles Brown, it happened a lot. It was always interesting to see how in awe of the opener the bands were.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

The Family Stone. Fun. 10/10.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Night on Earth (1991) - IMDb

If this didn't have so much unpleasant stuff (slums, people), it would be OK. Roberto Benigni was great, but we still fast-forwarded through much of it. If we'd felt like an artsy film we might have liked it better. 3/10.

Killing Me Softly (2002) - IMDb

I mention this one because it's the only movie we've seen that got a 0% tomato rating. 21 reviewers reviewed this movie, and not one of them liked it. But we watched it anyway. It was better than expected, and we watched the whole thing. But I still only give it a 3/10. Good sex scenes though!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #230
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Thin Red Line (1998) - IMDb

What a horrible movie. Good cinematography, but the rest was pure garbage. It was like the director had one movie in mind, the cast and crew shot a different movie, and then the director tried to make something different in editing and by tossing in some voice over narrative.

I appreciate the anti-war theme of the flick well enough, but the complete divorce between the film and historical accuracy made me cringe constantly. Three of us started to watch it, but none of us was able to finish. For all I know it ended with Elvis parachuting into Guadalcanal singing, "Peace in the Valley" while the two sides decided to have a luau. I wish I had the two-odd hours I wasted on this film back.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #231

The Great Debaters. I don't know how black people ever survived through those times and in those places. I'd have been scared to go out of my house.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Killing Me Softly (2002) - IMDb

Good sex scenes though!
Good enough that I bought the movie. I loved Night on Earth, but I didn't buy that movie.

Ha
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #233
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The Thin Red Line (1998) - IMDb

What a horrible movie. Good cinematography, but the rest was pure garbage. It was like the director had one movie in mind, the cast and crew shot a different movie, and then the director tried to make something different in editing and by tossing in some voice over narrative.
Totally with you. I watched this some time back and regretted wasting my time on it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #234

Book of Eli was good.

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day was pretty good for a sequel. Obviously, watch the original first, if you haven't seen it. It's somewhat of a "cult classic", perhaps.

-CC
Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

I picked up The Road at the library (my sole source of DVDs) a few days ago. Excellent flick. [mod edit to remove political comment]

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #236

We just finished the Sergio Leone spaghetti western "Man with No Name" trilogy starring Clint Eastwood, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Other than spending some time trying to figure out if the two actors who appeared in multiple movies (besides Eastwood) were playing the same character (no on both counts) they were pretty good. Fistful of Dollars was my favorite, but Good, Bad, Ugly was the best of the three overall. I have seen these when I was a kid, but never together. Classic Eastwood. Next up is the Dirty Harry movies. I have seen them all, but never back to back.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
We just finished the Sergio Leone spaghetti western "Man with No Name" trilogy starring Clint Eastwood, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
I love those movies. Italian director does Kurosawa Samurai movies on el-cheapo, and Italian actors play Mexican banditos. Toss in Squint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef (sp?) and you have movie magic!

Quote:
You see, there are two kinds of people in this world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #238
Moderator Emeritus

I finally watched the subtitled film, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, several here have recommended (except Oma ).

Violent. Very good. I have the three Millenium books by Larsson on my Kindle and just have not got around to reading them yet. Saving them up I guess.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Sorry I missed your reply. I saw only the one concert there; I was on a road trip with several other guys and was only in town a few days. I've seen almost all the artists you mentioned. When I lived in Minneapolis from 1968 to 1974 there were concerts almost every week. I think the high light of the blues concerts I've seen was Howlin Wolf at a small theater near the University of Minnesota; it was just a few months before he died.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Awake

Clever and good. But don't watch the trailer or even read anything about it, since doing so will give away major plot points. I'd like to say more, but I can't without giving things away. 10/10.