Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The Tillman Story - movie ok, but the story is compelling. The country needs more Pat Tillmans
I have sort of exhausted recent movies on my Netflix so I have been watching a lot of documentaries.

I agree about the Tillman Story the movie was only ok, but the story of the tough, we don't take BS, Tillman family including Pat is compelling.

I also highly highly recommend Waiting for Superman. The director of Inconvenient Truth, looks at the problems with our school system. He does it by looking through the eyes of handful of poor kids and their families hoping the win the lottery into one of the handful of top performing charter schools is inspiring and heartbreaking.

Secretariat: Classic Disney feel good movie, the movie is more about the horse impressive woman owner.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

The Counterfeiters (2007) - IMDb

Good old-fashioned WWII concentration camp movie. 8.5/10.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the funniest movies ever made....

The In-Laws (1979) - IMDb

A classic. Alan Arkin and Peter Falk.
Family friendly.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

Some of the better ones I have seen or re-watched recently.

The Secretary...Great movie!

Leon The Professional. Natalie Portman was better in this, her first movie at the age of 13, than in the Black Swan!

Mary and Max. Australian Claymation for Adults. Not what you'd expect.

Man Facing Southeast. Gotta like the premise...A guy shows up in a insane asylum when the daily count shows there is an extra patient. When the doctor interviews him, he claims to be a "god or Jesus like" When they ask him "If your god, then why are you in this place?" His reply "If I go around telling people I'm god, they'll put me in an insane asylum...so I'll save time if I just start here!" I think it won an Academy Award for best foreign picture.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We tried to watch "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps".

Yawn...
So much of a yawn we slept through most of it.

Just watched Lewis and Clark: Great Journey West - National Geographic documentary - excellent - I've come to the realization that Lewis and Clark never would have made to the west coast without Sacajawea
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

I watched Waltz with Bashir, not fully realizing the subject matter (genocide in Lebanon). It was well done, but the last 5 minutes were horrific.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
If you didn't catch it on TV recently I would recommend Downtown Abbey. Brilliant BBC production that had me eagerly waiting for the next part.

Downton Abbey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the recommendation. I read the Wikipedia article and it looks great.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Leon The Professional. Natalie Portman was better in this, her first movie at the age of 13, than in the Black Swan!
Yes, when I saw her in 1996 in Beautiful Girls, I said, and Lena will back me up on this, "She is going to be a very famous actress someday." Am I good, or what?

It is obvious in these scenes:

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #269
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been on a DVD kick here lately of collecting television shows. It's nice to be able to sit down and watch something with a meal, then have it last not much longer than the food.

Babylon 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm about tired of humans dressed as aliens and mind powers in my science fiction, but this still manages to be a great show, and has done several things in science fiction that I'd never seen nor read before. It's been a fantastic series so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraiser
They had all eleven seasons in a DVD set that was half off. I loved this show growing up, and it's still hilarious.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

You must eat slowly.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

I re-watched Life Stinks by Mel Brooks on hulu last night. It has been a while and I have forgotten much about this. I like this better than other films by Mel Brooks.

I laughed the hardest at this following scene. Boy, I'll tell you, this movie just reinforced my undying love for money. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be like this character.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Going "old school" today watching Vegas Vacation with Chevy Chase and Ghost Story with Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks jr, and John Houseman
Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #273

I don't watch many movies, but I grabbed Into Thin Air at the library the other day and we watched it last night. I can't get it out of my head. It is about the disastrous trek on Mount Everest where two guides and three trekkers died. Krakauer did a good job of it, I think, but I'm still left wondering what in the heck would make people want to climb that mountain when it is so inherently dangerous.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #274

"The Last Song" with Miley Cyrus and Greg Kinnear. Powerful story - so-so acting.

"Touching the Void" - Great mountain climbing documentary
Old 03-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I don't watch many movies, but I grabbed Into Thin Air at the library the other day and we watched it last night. I can't get it out of my head. It is about the disastrous trek on Mount Everest where two guides and three trekkers died. Krakauer did a good job of it, I think, but I'm still left wondering what in the heck would make people want to climb that mountain when it is so inherently dangerous.
That was an excellent book, have not seen the movie. What is scary is that people who are not really that competent when it comes to climbing are buying their way up the mountain and expecting others to risk their lives for them.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Where is Lawrence of Arabia?....
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #276
Confused about dryer sheets

Where is Lawrence of Arabia?....

now that I'm a new High Def snob...

Just saw this thread. In December I finally replaced our 32" CRT from 1996 with a 65" Panasonic plasma, (the cheap S2 model, no 3D, no internet capability). Got High Def service from our cable company, got a Blu-Ray player (with internet apps including Netflix streaming) and upgraded the 1990s receiver to one that handles HDMI switching and the newer multichannel audio codecs that are on the Blu-rays and streaming media. Only thing I did not change out was the 5.1 speakers (NHT SuperZeros with a subwoofer).

Built my own A/V stand because good consumer A/V stands big enough for that TV cost as much as the TV did! (That was actually fun learning how to build cabinetry.)

WOW! Just WOW!

Now I know why our kids (all grown up) were giving us so much grief about our old and little CRT TV... Streaming HD movies, NCAA Basketball, even CNN is a whole different world. Its been over 2 months now and I still marvel at the experience of watching sports, movies, even Reality TV (Amazing Race, Survivor) in High Def.

Got a 1 year Netflix subscription for Christmas from my brother, and have been using that a lot, but only for Blu-Ray disks, cause now I'm a High Def snob...:-)

But possibly the greatest big screen movie of all time, Lawrence of Arabia, is STILL not out on Blu-Ray. Oh, the agony of waiting, now that we finally have a Big Screen....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #277

Lawrence of Arabia, fantastic movie. We own that one but in regular def and have enjoyed watching on numerous occasions.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

I watched City by the Sea, with Robert DeNiro, Frances McDermond, and James Franco before he was famous.

I cannot get enough of DeNiro, or Frances McDermond. She revs my motor more than any of these young chippies that clutter the landscape today.

And DeNiro- is anyone better? This movie I would think would appeal especially to men, (or women tasked with understanding what the hell is going on inside the man they love) as it is about 3 generations of fathers, and three ways of not coming through-but overall it is redemptive.

Ha
Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #279

Life As We Know It, improbable romantic hookup story out of a tragic necessity. Surprisingly, my 11 yr old son really liked it. Stars Katherin Heigl and Josh Duhamel. Decent movie to rent, seems to be a fit a formula now for Heigl type romantic movies she's been doing of late.

Unstoppable, based on a true story (I'm sure with embellishments), silly mistakes that snowballed into a much worse scenario. Denzel Washington and Chris Pine were the stars. I enjoyed this one and it kept me interested.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

We watched " The Fighter " . It was an okay movie but nowhere near " The King's Speech " quality . Christian Bale did do a great job but Mark Wahlberg was so -so as was Amy Adams .