Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We watched Black Swan last night, now that it's out on Blockbuster Express. Wasn't sure what to expect since we'd heard reviews ranging from 'great' to 'it's for women' to 'it was awful, I'm still having nightmares from it, wish I'd never seen it.'

It was OK, but not up to the hype we'd heard. We didn't have nightmares.

We're really looking forward to The Kings Speech when it hits BX...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #282
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tangled. I really like the 3D animation Disney put into this, and some of the sequences in scenes are amazing. The story's pretty good, I like the main characters, but the songs are just terrible (and unfortunately some of those great sequences are buried in the action happening with the songs).
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #283

Recently we watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and the 2 sequels and liked them all very much - they are somewhat violent so if you can't stand that, be aware. They're on Netflix on demand.

We saw "Love and Other Drugs" & "Fair Game" this weekend - both pretty good.

"Morning Glory" was amusing. "Conviction" was excellent" - also "Winter's Bone". Liked "The Social Network" but I'm an avid facebook user.

The Masterpiece Theater series Downton Abbey - Season 1 is on Neflix on demand - I liked it a lot. If you liked "Upstairs, Downstairs" (which by the way is still good) Downton Abbey is similar.

Chloe - very gripping, we liked it.

Then there's my "Dollhouse" fixation - a TV series, it's on Netflix on demand. I'm a Joss Whedon fan...
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We loved Downtown Abbey so much we bought it so we could lend it out.
We've watched some Inspector Lewis and Wallender DVDs lately from Masterpiece Theater. Tangled with the grandchildren was lots if fun. Toy Story 3 is one of our favs, but makes you cry.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #285
Gone but not forgotten

I watched " Black Swan " tonight . Totally bizarre . Natalie Portman was good but it is a totally weird movie . Having seen " The Kings Speech " "The Fighter " and " The Black Swan " . The Kings Speech is IMO a way better movie . It's the kind of movie you feel good after . The other two not so much.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #286

I'm sure Secretariat has been covered extensively here, but I'm still still joyously happy that he won even though I knew he had won...still leaking tears of joy even

WONDERFUL movie
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Finally got around to seeing "Precious". It was much better than I expected. Kind of neat to see a movie not full of unrealistically beautiful people.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #288
Give me a forum ...

This movie:

Happy Times (2000) - IMDb

is pretty offbeat, but you might enjoy it. If you can get over the unrealistic people and ideas, it's kind of charming. 7/10.

This was good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100142/

8/10.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #289

Just finished season 13 of BBC's Top Gear, my favorite TV series.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Just finished season 13 of BBC's Top Gear, my favorite TV series.
Are the DVD episodes the complete episodes, or the chopped up ones with a lot of stuff cut out that we see here on BBC America?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #291

The older ones are the edited versions. I have seasons 14 and 15 on order and I've been told they are the complete episodes but I don't know that for certain yet. I haven't found anything on the BBC America webpage that tells me one way or the other.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #292
Dryer sheet aficionado

RED - Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich. Malkovich was in classic form. Fun movie.
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

The Social Network. I found it quite boring, to be perfectly honest. As a nominee for the Best Picture Oscar, it was simply not in the same league as The King`s Speech.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #294

I've heard that about Social Network and the Black Swan from friends.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #295

For those who like action movies you should see The Town with Ben Affleck.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #296

I've been going through the first season of the new Dr. Who series. I've been having a lot of fun with this so far, although it's been a bit odd that the main characters have been so passive in many of the stories.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #297

Watched The Shawshank Redemption. Always knew this 1994 movie (starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman) is excellent but never brought myself to watch it since it has its uncomfortable moments since it is largely focused on imprisoned life and how the prisoners bond over the long years in prison. Tim's character is as a mild mannered banker who is wrongly accused of murdering his wife and lover. I was delighted by its happy ending and have to declare this is one of my favorite movies.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #298

Found the complete set of Monty Python's Flying Circus at a garage sale for $10 so have started watching some of those.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Ju Dou (1990) - IMDb Really good. Artistic and entertaining. 9/10.

Murderous Maids (2000) - IMDb Hard to understand, especially at the beginning, but worth the confusion. 8/10. This is a movie that would benefit from a special soundtrack to help you understand things: "This is now a flash forward, and shows the same woman from the last scene. She is the older sister, blah blah blah."
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
That was an excellent book, have not seen the movie. What is scary is that people who are not really that competent when it comes to climbing are buying their way up the mountain and expecting others to risk their lives for them.
I saw it at the local IMAXX theater...WOW!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote