Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #321

Mad Men season 1 disk 1. Disk 2 is on its way. Interesting series of an advertising agency and it's employees set in the late 50's, early 60's where almost every actor over the age of 12 smokes. Funny - that's how it was back then.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomdeplume View Post
Waking Ned Devine is wonderful

Agree, that movie was great.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lincoln Lawyer. Really good with Marisa Tomei and Matthew McConaughey. Nothing deep, but completely enjoyable movie from a Michael Connally book.

Ha
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #324
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, probably my favorite music DVD of all time is the Concert for George set. Recorded in 2002, a year after George Harrison's death, one disk is an Indian concert, the other a spectacular concert of Harrison's music led by Eric Clapton. You can hear a lot of the music if you search for "Concert for George" on YouTube. I own it, listen to it at least twice a year, always end up in tears. Billy Preston doing My Sweet Lord is a highlight -- also Something by the whole group. Ooh and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Eric Clapton, Dhani Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Ringo Starr, (a slightly irritating) Paul McCartney, Joe Brown, and many, many others. Rent it or buy it. It's great if you're a George Harrison fan.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #325
Give me a forum ...

P.S. I guess Mulholland Drive can actually make sense if it's properly unraveled, but I sure couldn't understand it from just watching it.

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/reviews/mdexplain.htm
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Sorry if these were reviewed before. Some we've liked way in the past:

The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon. Nice 1950's feeling too.

Kinky Boots , an off beat comedy. Not really kinky so I don't think this will be a problem for most.

Notre Dame de Paris , watched this French opera while I was taking a French class at the local JC. I'm not an opera buff but the music is just wonderful (and I have a tin ear too). I wound up buying the music CD.

The Way We Live Now , (2 discs) this is what Netflix has to say:
Quote:
Power, passion and corruption drive this adaptation of Anthony Trollope's satirical novel. Set in the railway boom of the 1870s, this is the contemporary story of ordinary men and women blinded by the promise of unprecedented financial rewards. Financier Augustus Melmotte (David Suchet) has a mysterious past, and when he moves his business and his family to London, the city's elite start to whisper.
A Touch of Frost a British TV serial detective series. The very first ones were somewhat poorly filmed. Then the series became a UK hit (I think) and the filming and set get better. Sometimes very predictable but the lead actor is engaging.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #327

Watched The King's Speech over the weekend. Not normally my type of movie, but I enjoyed it.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #328
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
OK, probably my favorite music DVD of all time is the Concert for George set. Recorded in 2002, a year after George Harrison's death, one disk is an Indian concert, the other a spectacular concert of Harrison's music led by Eric Clapton.
I second the recommendation for this concert video, didn't care for the Indian disc but the all star concert cast really do a great job on some great songs. Another couple of great concert videos, the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and "Queen, Live in Wembley Stadium".
Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I second the recommendation for this concert video, didn't care for the Indian disc but the all star concert cast really do a great job on some great songs. Another couple of great concert videos, the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and "Queen, Live in Wembley Stadium".
made me think of this you tube video i saw the other day. not as awesome as
jake Shimabukuro's ukelele video but a nice rendition nevertheless..

Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #330

We finally saw "The Hangover", from the local library. Really funny and we all enjoyed it. I hope the 2nd one is as good.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J
We finally saw "The Hangover", from the local library. Really funny and we all enjoyed it. I hope the 2nd one is as good.
From what I hear, the second one is exactly the same.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Just watched Sex Drive, starring Josh Zuckerman, and Clark Duke. Very possibly the best teenage virgin road trip comedy I've seen in the past two years. With alcohol involved, I'd give it 4 stars. Otherwise, maybe two. Unless, of course, you're into Amish sex. Then it's a 5 star for sure.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #333

Watched two movies yesterday.

1) Missippi Masala starring Denzel Washiington
About an Indian family that emegrated from Uganda to Mississippi in 1990. Good and funny story about Indian Americans and the small town South.

2) Get Low -Robert Duvall, Bill Murray Sisy Spacek 2009
About an old hermit guy that decides to have his own funeral before he dies. Bill Murray is a hoot. Good and funny story. Good acting.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #334

Watched This Town last night, starred Ben Affleck. I took this description off the net:

"As he plans his next job, a longtime thief tries to balance his feelings for a bank manager connected to one of his earlier heists, as well as the FBI agent looking to bring him and his crew down."

It was ok, good enough for a cheap rental from Netflix.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #335
Give me a forum ...

We just saw "Horrible Bosses "at the cheap movie theater so it's coming soon to DVD . Funnier than I expected .
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #336
Give me a forum ...

DW and I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man (see: The Incredible Shrinking Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Guys, if you ever had your wife get you your beer you will not want to do that after seeing this movie.

I watched this at the movies as a kid. It was a B movie, but somehow it scared me in a deeper way. Must be a little how it feels when you start to loose it physically. Still creeps me out. DW liked it.

This DVD also came with Monolith Monsters, a really funny (though not intentionally) B movie. We laughed a lot before turning it off about 2/3 through it.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

I know I have far different tastes in movies than most on this forum, and for that matter in the world. But if you understand the phrase "sined seeled delivered", I heartily recommend "Kick Ass". It kicks ass, in the vernacular. Otherwise, stay far away.

Btw, The incredible Shrinking Man was a great movie, and an even better book.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Today I went to the discount movie theater to see "Midnight in Paris ".Woody Allen has finally redeemed himself in my eyes . It was an enjoyable movie with great scenery.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #339

Halfway through True Grit (The Coen brothers version with Jeff Bridges). I think it's well-done, but it's still a Western, which is definitely not my genre. I'd so much rather see Midnight in Paris or most indy/foreign films.

DH doesn't believe that it's the first Western I've ever seen. We've been together 35 years, so he knows I haven't seen one in all that time. And I never saw one in my first 22 years. Perhaps they weren't big in New Joisey----or probably it was just me.
Someone tell me I'm not the only one who didn't grow up watching Westerns and just doesn't "get"/enjoy them...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I went to the discount movie theater to see "Midnight in Paris ".Woody Allen has finally redeemed himself in my eyes . It was an enjoyable movie with great scenery.
+1 on the scenery.