Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #341
Recycles dryer sheets

I just rented City Island. An outstanding, hilarious movie almost on par with Meet the Parents. And I generally don't like comedies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not available yet on DVD and may never be, but if you get a chance to see it a good movie. Although, I may be prejudiced.

The Lutefisk Wars: Before this is over, somebody's gonna eat it. Ya Betcha.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tonight we watch O Brother, Where Art Thou? for the 2nd time, and we almost never watch movies more then once. A great comedy with delightful music (and we never watch musicals). This was done in 2000 and takes place in the Depression era South. Who would have thought that coming out of such good times a movie like this would be produced?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Tonight we watch O Brother, Where Art Thou? for the 2nd time, and we almost never watch movies more then once. A great comedy with delightful music (and we never watch musicals). This was done in 2000 and takes place in the Depression era South. Who would have thought that coming out of such good times a movie like this would be produced?
This is wonderful movie, and it has the woman who is just about a never miss you will always be pleased actress- Holly Hunter.

Ha
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #345
Give me a forum ...

I watched Multiplicity last night for the third time. One of my favorite movies.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #346
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
It seems to me that we have entered some sort of golden age for movie lovers. What with IMDb and NetFlix, we can find and view movies and television shows from almost the entire span of their existence.

So is it time for a DVD thread similar to the book thread, or has this been done before?
DVD's? That is ancient lol

I watch Blu-Ray's.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #347

Saw One for the Money today. It was okay, but not nearly as good as the book. I have read 17 of the Stephanie Plum series and it is hard for the characters to compete with your images of them (especially Ranger). I would be curious to know what someone who likes chick flicks and had not read the books would think of the movie.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Saw Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen. DW and I enjoyed it. It is a little schmaltzy at times but made me think a bit.

In each of us there is this continual battle between the hard bitten real world needs/views and the way we'd like it to be, romantic view of life. Sort of the rational and emotional parts of our brains. I think that is a major theme of this film. It could probably have been done better but it was still a good one.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

I saw "The girl with the dragon tattoo " today . I thought they did a good job and I really enjoyed it .
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #350
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I saw "The girl with the dragon tattoo " today . I thought they did a good job and I really enjoyed it .
I watched that too and it was good film but a bit too violent for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #351

I watched North Country (Charlize Theron) on HBO. It's a movie I meant to watch for a long time but I knew it would disturb me and indeed it did. The movie finished at 10 pm and I could not sleep till around 2 am. It's an excellent movie released in 2005 - A fictionalized account of the first major successful sexual harassment case in the United States -- Jenson vs. Eveleth Mines, where a woman who endured a range of abuse while working as a miner filed and won the landmark 1984 lawsuit. It took me so many years to finally just sit through it and feel the pain women feel while working in the mines which is largely worked by men.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #352

Watched Safe House- Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. If you want a non-stop action, heart pounding entertaining movie, don't miss this one. I liked it a lot. It is quite loud too (lots of gun shots) Not for children to watch it as it could be quite violent with lots of fighting and car chasing.

Safe House | Trailer and Cast - Yahoo! Movies
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #353
Give me a forum ...

A Face in the Crowd is a 1957 movie, which is remarkably prescient about politicians and the political process. It's fun to see Mike Wallace in it, as well as Lee Remick and Walter Mathau.

Andy Griffith is very good.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #354

Finally got around to borrowing the first installment of the Atlas Shrugged movie and watched it last night. For those among us who enjoy Ayn Rand, I think the movie is a wonderful companion piece. I would imagine it would hold little interest for the GP or for people not familiar with the book, as there isn't a lot of character development or background for the who and the what of the film.
Seeing characters I first got to know by reading them when I was 18 actually "come alive" on screen was quite interesting and enjoyable, though, and the casting was spot-on for what I'd imagined these folks looked like. I see that Part 2 is due out in the fall and I'll be looking forward to it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

I am a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum books so I watched "One for the money ". Totally awful ! They really dropped the ball on the casting . The only character who was cast well was Lulu . The rest just blah ! IMO !
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #356

Quote:
I am a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum books so I watched "One for the money ". Totally awful ! They really dropped the ball on the casting . The only character who was cast well was Lulu . The rest just blah ! IMO !
Good thing I gave it a miss. I am also a huge fan of Stephanie Plum's books. I saw the trailers on "one for the money" and thought it was not too great, so decided to watch other movies first.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #357

Just watched "We Bought a Zoo," with Matt Damon.
Good family movie with a predictable plot and based on a true story.
I'd recommend for all ages.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #358

Not DVD but went to the movies to watch The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. I really enjoyed the movie and can relate to the different characters. The movie begins with showing very briefly each character's beginning with retirement and deciding to retire to India for various reasons - primarily finances and then how they each deal with retirement life in a different country and culture. Excellent acting too.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've read them all, mostly while standing in Walmart waiting in the book dept. while DW shops. I can usually finish one in about three trips. They are pretty enjoyable. When I heard they were making the movie I checked out the casting and decided it was going to be a dud. I like Katherine Heigel, but she's not Stephanie Plum. I would have picked Zoey Deschanel, or Sandra Bullock (getting a little old for the part), or maybe Minnie Driver. I'd also have cast Johnnie Depp as Ranger, if they could afford him. And since Estelle Getty is dead, maybe Betty White as Grandma. The group they got doesn't do it for me. I'll wait for the DVD. Although, now that I think about it, I always wait for the DVD. Haven't been to the theater since part 3 of LoTR.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #360
Recycles dryer sheets

Rented "Nowhere Boy" from Netflix, biopic of John Lennon. Focuses on his adolescence in Liverpool. I enjoyed the movie because it humanizes its subject warts and all and avoids the usual cliches. Kind of a sad movie but I enjoyed it.