Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just finished watching "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", a 2011 movie based on John le Carré 1974 spy novel of the same title.

Then, looked up on the Web and found that the movie was a commercial success and got a few Academy Award nominations. We are always the last to know, as we "do not get out much", nor watch much TV.

Anyway, if there is anything I miss from the "good ol' days of the Cold War", it is the genre of intriguing spy novels and movies. I just now recall a movie I watched as a kid: "Topaz" by Hitchcock. I do not remember much about it, and want to watch it again. Just reserve it from the local public library. Also "The spy who came in from the cold".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We just finished watching "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", a 2011 movie based on John le Carré 1974 spy novel of the same title. ...
This is one of my all time favorites. I've read the book a few times (and I never re-read books), watched the PBS version with Alec Guinness as Smiley, and now this excellent movie. I'd imagine if you did not know the story it could be a bit hard to follow -- definitely a murky story but that's how it's suppose to be.

There was a scene at the Circus's Christmas party where they were singing the Soviet national anthem. I was not sure whether this was a dream sequence or was suppose to really happen in the story? I wasn't paying enough attention to how that scene got started.

BTW, there is a 1982 Alec Guinness 3 disc DVD series Smiley's People available from Netflix. It's also based on Le Carre's novel. I don't think these classics appear too dated.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Though I have read a few novels of le Carre, I have not read "Tinker, Tailor" though I heard of it for a long time.

Thanks for the heads-up on the "Smiley's People" DVD set. Just now got it reserved online at the local public library. I am trying to get my tax money's worth!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #364
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;1208909]We just finished watching "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", a 2011 movie based on John le Carré 1974 spy novel of the same title.
QUOTE]

Loved that movie too. Watched it in a cinema and there was such a mixed reaction from the crowd. I did a review on my Facebook and told my friends to watch it and I also got a mixed review from them. Some found it boring (I guess they were expecting the James Bond type movie) but others enjoyed it a lot.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Some more recent ones that we liked from Netflix:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Stranger Than Fiction
Mao's Last Dancer
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Midnight in Paris
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Not a DVD, but I saw Incendies (Scorched) which was one of the Oscar nominees for best foreign language film. It is a very powerful adaptation of a play about a woman caught up in the Lebanese civil war, and how it shapes her life and family. The denouement is devastating and disturbing. I highly recommend the movie, for adults only.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #367

We watched The Man Who Would Be King, adapted from the Rudyard Kipling story, starring Michael Caine and Sean Connery. What a great movie!
Plenty of adventure and humor, and a great chemistry between these two fantastic actors. How'd I miss this one before now? Reminded me a lot of how much we loved
Second Hand Lions, another wonderful adventure movie along the same lines.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We watched The Man Who Would Be King, adapted from the Rudyard Kipling story, starring Michael Caine and Sean Connery. What a great movie! ...
It's in our queue now. Thanks!

We watched Breach which is based on a true FBI mole case. Very good acting and suspenseful too.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #369
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw the Man Who Would be King when it first came out in the theater. What an impressive movie!

I don't know if this applies here, but we have been watching the Doc Martin DVDs. Both my husband and I love this series. It was on Netflix instant streaming, but several of the seasons disappeared, so we bought it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #370

Another vote for the Man Who Would be King. Watched Thor because it was free on Netflix, it wasn't bad but long in parts.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #371

Sitting in WalMart today I saw a poster advertizing "Hunger Games" coming to BluRay on August 20th. I was forced to go to this movie while in Chicago to be at my grandson's graduation from Navy boot camp. I thought, why are we doing this? Well, he wanted to see it after having read the book and I got dragged along with the group. I really enjoyed the movie and that's hard for me to admit. It's strange the way it starts out and you really have to pay attention to get the drift of it. Then it really gets exciting.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #372

I read the first 2 Hunger Game books. They were ok, but I'm not sure l'll read the last one. I think maybe it would be more fun to watch the movie. I had to force myself thru the second one. I was curious and that's why I read them.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Rocky and Bullwinkle. They might also be on Netflix streaming.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Iron Lady...Meryl Streep delivered an unbelievable performance as Margaret Thatcher.

A fabulous movie but it hit a little too close to home for me with the continuous thread of wistful remembrances of her late husband. Ouch.
I was completely immersed. I say BRAVO for an extremely realistic portrayal of a widow in grief. I was moved to tears. I wanted to go to her house and have tea and hug her.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825
Iron Lady...Meryl Streep delivered an unbelievable performance as Margaret Thatcher.

A fabulous movie but it hit a little too close to home for me with the continuous thread of wistful remembrances of her late husband. Ouch.
I was completely immersed. I say BRAVO for an extremely realistic portrayal of a widow in grief. I was moved to tears. I wanted to go to her house and have tea and hug her.
The movie has been quite controversial as many feel that the portrayal of Thatcher in old age intrudes on her privacy and should have confined itself to documented history. I had mixed feelings about that, but Streep is outstanding, as always.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Hable Con Ella, Pedro Almodovar. I saw this on screen when it came out, some years ago. Beautiful movie in every way, so I bought it and watch every 3 months or so.

A side benefit is that I can understand Iberian Spanish much better than the American type.

Ha
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Reminded me a lot of how much we loved
Second Hand Lions, another wonderful adventure movie along the same lines.
Watched it 3 years ago on a flight back from South Africa...loved it!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #378

I just finished the 4th season of Breaking Bad on Netflix. I have the original series of Upstairs Downstairs in my instant queue now. I've watched the new version but not the old version. I remember my parents watching the original version when I was still living at home, many years ago, thinking that must be a BORING program. Now, I'm as old as they were then and I want to watch it. That must make me boring now.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Last week I watched The Hunger Games on my iPad. It was OK. I actually thought the book was better.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #380
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Vow - inspired by true events. A newlywed couple (Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams) recovers from a car accident that puts the wife in a coma. Waking up, she remembers everything except the last 5 years of her life. Her husband has to win her heart again. Some critics call it shallow but what the heck, this is a good romance movie with great acting from all.