What DVDs have you seen recently?

Man, they surely left me behind. And my local library too!

Ratatouille, Cars, and Toy Story. Over and over and over. Must be the 4 year old in the house.

Well, we are the few left who do not stream movies from the Web, and we have no broadband up in the boonies home anyway. So, we usually check out some DVDs from the local library to bring up to watch.

We watched "The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015)", a British movie about the life of Ramanujan (1887-1920), a brilliant Indian mathematician who fought all odds to be accepted by the London elite. With the help of the English mathematician G. H. Hardy, he was finally elected Fellow of the Royal Society, and a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge in 1918.

Hardy thought Ramanujan's talent to be highly above that of himself, and in the rank of Euler and Jacobi. As paper was expensive in India, Ramanujan used a slate for his work, then copied only the results into notebooks. Hence, much of his theorems or formulas were stated without proof, and perhaps not taken seriously at first.

Wikipedia says that "During a lecture at IIT Madras in May 2011, Berndt stated that over the last 40 years, as nearly all of Ramanujan's theorems have been proven right, there had been greater appreciation of Ramanujan's work and brilliance, and that Ramanujan's work was now pervading many areas of modern mathematics and physics."

I get to rent movies from redbox for 25 cents (DVD) , and 75 cents blue ray, and earn credits so every 11th movie is free and can be Blue-ray.

Most Recent transactions at the Box
Title

1. Security
  2. Sleight
  3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
  4. Going In Style
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

This post will cement my reputation as a total geek

Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

I wouldn't have considered this but a friend suggested it. This friend is also an amateur filmmaker and loves watching movies to learn from them. It doesn't matter whether it's "Casablanca" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space", every movie is an opportunity to learn.

"Hobo with a Shotgun" teaches the lesson that if your plot is an implausible vigilante story, and your protagonist isn't relateable, then the supporting characters must be compelling to carry the show.

Not a good flick, but a good lesson.

Went to the theatre today to watch a movie I have had for 20 years...Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan was in limited nationwide 2 day release...I had to go since it was one of my favs...Very nostalgic seeing a movie first seen in theatre summer of 1982. Of course I took grief from my GF, so needless to say I went solo....

We've been watching the Hornblower series, checked out from the library. Tomorrow we get the last 2 DVDs, which finally arrived and are on hold for me.

Deepwater Horizon. OK. They really nailed the local redneck vibe accurately. (I like rednecks, btw). Acting was OK. Lots of explosions and yelling. Heroics. Action movies like this aren't my favorite thing, but I saw it anyway out of curiosity about the actual event. I think action movie fans would like it.

Just saw 'Crash'. Held my attention throughout. Good acting. Interesting flick. 9 out of 10.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Not as good as the first one for us, but still a worthy Redbox rental.

Back
Top Bottom