Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Top 10 Movies thread reminded me of good movies that I have seen recently:
RED Retired Extremely Dangerous
Paul
Book of Eli

Paul was a real surprise. UFO alien hooks up young male UFO believers. Contrary to what is implied, the plot has twists and there is depth and humor in the movie.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #382

Currently watching the Rake series from Australia......superb!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #383
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just saw Acts of Valor. Some re-enactments of what our Navy SEAL's do in our defense. We are lucky that "rough men do violent acts for us while we sleep"
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #384
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In a recent trip driving down I-5 from SF to LA, I saw many signs put up by farmers protesting the lack of water for irrigation. That reminded me of the movie Chinatown, and I wanted to see it again, as I remembered that the plot was about water rights in Southern CA.

Got it from the local library and watched it this afternoon. I paid more attention to the dialog this time, and enjoyed it more than when I first watched it many years ago.

From Wikipedia,
Chinatown has been frequently cited as one of the greatest films ever made. It holds second place on the American Film Institute list of Best Mystery Films of all time... In 1991, Chinatown was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
With classic movies like this on DVD, we have not felt the need to go to the movie theaters in years. And I am sure there are more to last me a very long time.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #385
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just finished watching The Way, with Martin Sheen playing a 60'ish guy making the pilgrimage from the French Pyrennees through N Spain to the resting place of St James...some 500 k...he is a typical American businessman who chucks it all to reprise the walk his son was attempting when his son died on the trail. Beautiful scenery, made me miss Spain (we spent a grand couple weeks there over Christmas in Barcelona a couple years ago and still agree it was the best vaca ever with our Africa Peace Corps kids rendezvousing with us in an apt just off the Rambla) and made me think that making that trek might be fun.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #386

Just watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Gilbert has to care for his brother Arnie and his obese mother, which gets in the way when love walks into his life. Even if you don't like watching movies about dysfunctional families, you will appreciate Johnny Depp's and Leonardo DiCaprios' fantastic performances.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #387

I finally watched Testament, recommended by REWahoo. Had to get it on VHS (speaking of obsolete things) but I thought it was really good. Didn't hold DH's attention, but I really found it interesting. Filmed in 1983, it reminded me of life in shadow of nuclear threats, which seem to have faded from the collective memory. My millennial friends have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention things from that era.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Watched True Grit with DW. She groaned at first ... "a western?". But then she really liked it.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #389
Recycles dryer sheets

We just watched "Most Exotic Marigold Hotel", and really enjoyed it. It veered from the book, but was still good.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Watched True Grit with DW. She groaned at first ... "a western?". But then she really liked it.
We recently watch the same, and liked it. Then, I found out that it was a remake of the movie of the same title. The original 1969 movie won John Wayne an Oscar. I don't think it has been released in DVD.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Just got done watching Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp. This is uncharacteristic of me and DW could not believe her good luck that I was keen to watch this. I'd describe it as a cool mixture of classical English, Americana circa early 1970's, vampire film and romantic comedy. Should be watched at night since a lot of the scenes are darkish and atmospheric. Great 1970's music.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #392

We got a Netflix free trial to be able to watch the three videos that comprise the entire series of Long Way Round, about a motorcycle trip undertaken in 2004 by two friends from the UK. We quite enjoyed the story and the scenery, as it covered many of the areas we will see next summer.

The two friends in the series are movie actors, though I've never seen their films. One was Ewan MacGregor and the other was Charley Bootman. i also read the book about their trip, which was nice.

I was surprised at how limited the Netflix inventory is, though, with very few documentaries and travel stories. It seems mostly to stock comedy and drama fiction rather than the sorts of things we might want to see.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #393
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I was surprised at how limited the Netflix inventory is, though, with very few documentaries and travel stories. It seems mostly to stock comedy and drama fiction rather than the sorts of things we might want to see.
You're surprised the average John Q Public wants laughs and pulp fiction rather than travel documentaries? I'm surprised...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...(snip)...
I'm not going to make excuses for Netflix. They have a pretty decent inventory in DVD's but the streaming inventory really sucks. We seem to be stuck with mainstream American preferences.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We recently watch the same, and liked it. Then, I found out that it was a remake of the movie of the same title. The original 1969 movie won John Wayne an Oscar. I don't think it has been released in DVD.
The original True Grit is available on DVD and Blu-ray on Amazon if you're interested.

We watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" starting Steve Carell and Keira Knightly. We liked it, a bit dark but Carell was better in this role than I expected.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
You're surprised the average John Q Public wants laughs and pulp fiction rather than travel documentaries? I'm surprised...
Lol-I do see your point there. Never mind.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #397

We watched Bernie last weekend on the advice of several friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hard to believe that a true murder case could be made into a hilarious movie.

PS It probably helps if you are a Texan as there are some "inside jokes".
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I just finished the 4th season of Breaking Bad on Netflix. I have the original series of Upstairs Downstairs in my instant queue now. I've watched the new version but not the old version. I remember my parents watching the original version when I was still living at home, many years ago, thinking that must be a BORING program. Now, I'm as old as they were then and I want to watch it. That must make me boring now.
I'm almost to the end of the original series on Netflix and love it. The first two or three episodes were a little odd, but once it hits its stride, it's great.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #399

Kindly provided by a friend, we're currently watching the 2nd season of Rake........funny, with some tremendous dialogue.

Rake - ABC TV

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #400

Bernie was SO good! I really liked it a lot and it helped to know some of the background from folks out there.

Just watched the Art of Travel. What a great travel movie! I'd seen it on a list of inspirational travel movies and thought we'd check it out. Very very good! Highly recommended for those interested in Central and South America, but also a cute coming of age as a backpacker story, too.