Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Thanks. Just found Homeland on Netflix. Something to get hooked on in the new year!
That's an awesome show! Right now we are watching Justified from Netfilx. We didn't love it at first but quickly became hooked.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just finished Homeland as well. Caught up on all episodes in a couple of weeks. WOW! I had a pillow over my face during quite a bit of it.

If you get Palladia on your cable or dish, and you like music, I highly recommend Live from Daryl's House. Daryl Hall (Hall & Oates) hosts current and legendary musicians for a day of jamming and eating and jawing.

So far Jason Mraz, Todd Rundgren and Joe Walsh have been my favorite guests. This week (Thursday night) is Minus the Bear. I'm old, and don't know them (yet) but if Daryl thinks they're good enough to have over to his house, I'll broaden my horizons and give them a try.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #423

Sum, check out the one with Grace Potter. She is a favorite of line and I loved "her" episode at the house.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We watched Farewell which you'll probably have to get in DVD format from Netflix. It was really good in my opinion:
Quote:
In this thinking man's spy thriller, KGB agent Sergei Grigoriev (Emir Kusturica) plans to hand over hard evidence that proves the depth of his agency's penetration of U.S. intelligence, in a one-man crusade to bring down the Soviet empire.
It's a French made movie that has scenes in Paris, Russia and the US. There are English subtitles but we didn't have trouble with that. Some dialog is in English.

The Russian location (I think) filming made this very authentic feeling. The era is the Reagan/Mitterand/Gorbachev one and we see scenes involving the leaders.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

If you get Palladia on your cable or dish, and you like music, I highly recommend Live from Daryl's House. Daryl Hall (Hall & Oates) hosts current and legendary musicians for a day of jamming and eating and jawing.

So far Jason Mraz, Todd Rundgren and Joe Walsh have been my favorite guests. This week (Thursday night) is Minus the Bear. I'm old, and don't know them (yet) but if Daryl thinks they're good enough to have over to his house, I'll broaden my horizons and give them a try.

+1

Episode #23 with Todd Rundgren is my favorite, and the more recent one at his home in Hawaii is also great, #40.

I also really enjoyed Nick Waterhouse(#58) and was amazed at the vocals of the female member of Company of Thieves. She has an amazing voice.(#15)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #426

Looper v. Surrogates

Rented Looper (just released Sci-Fi starring Bruce Willis) the other day, and while we were at the movie store, browsed their cast-offs, and bought a copy of Surrogates (2009 Sci-Fi also starring Bruce Willis). What a difference.

We thought Looper was so full of plot/story holes it wasn't funny -- just sad. OTOH, Surrogates was very well thought out and written, exploring some very interesting technological possibilities and associated sociological ramifications -- some of which we're actually on the threshhold/verge of.

Tyro
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #427
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I watched Total Recall a few days ago. It was ok, but not as good as the original.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Last of the Dogmen
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #428

Last of the Dogmen

Saw this on cable recently, and found it very entertaining. If it was other than fiction it would be an anthropologist's delight:

Last of the Dogmen - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

I went backwards last night. Went to IMAX to watch a movie that has been in the DVD dustbin for years, Top Gun. It was in 3D, very nostalgic to go to a theatre to watch a movie you saw in a theatre over 25 years ago. Jurassic Park will be released in IMAX 3D in April. The previews of the 3D I saw last night were very good. The dinosaurs will pop out at you.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #430
gone traveling

I don't watch a lot of movies but I saw "Flight" last night. Pretty good movie, but I may never want to fly again ....
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #431

Just watched "Compliance". Amazingly, it's based on a true story about strip search prank call scams that had gone on for a decade. The part that got me was how easy it was to dupe people.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #432

My GF just bought me Skyfall. Loved it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #433

As a teenager of the 70's, I have loved The Eagles since I first heard them on the radio in my 1968 Fairlane. They literally were the soundtrack of my life, even my recent years. I won't go into all the odd happenings and crossroads, but I have always felt a strange connection with them. I've lost count of how many concerts I've drug DH to....

Anyway, they released their documentary at the Sundance Film Festival this year, and it was on Showtime in 2 parts last weekend.

Showtime : History of the Eagles

I was mesmerized. If you're an Eagles fan, or even liked them a little bit, I highly recommend this. It will be out on DVD in April, and I will be buying it so I can watch it over, and over, and over....
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #434
Dryer sheet aficionado

Watching House of Cards on Netflix. Kevin Spacey is great as the unscrupulous
Congressman Frank Underwood. My son, who works on Capitol Hill, stated that each episode gives him PTSD. We will watch the last episode tonight. Said to see the series end. Totally justified my Netflix streaming bill.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrlawjr View Post
Watching House of Cards on Netflix. Kevin Spacey is great as the unscrupulous
Congressman Frank Underwood. My son, who works on Capitol Hill, stated that each episode gives him PTSD. We will watch the last episode tonight. Said to see the series end. Totally justified my Netflix streaming bill.
The original British version is excellent.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #436

I (re)saw "Richard Pryor Live In Concert" (1979). There are clips on YouTube, but too racy to post here. But the show is hilarious!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #437
gone traveling

Just watched Argo... Very good...
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #438
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had planned to join Netflix and watch at least 1-2 DVDs per week when I retired, but so far I just don't have the time! I haven't managed to squeeze in the time to watch even one DVD in my almost 7 months of retirement. Let me tell you, the retirement lifestyle is hectic.
Still haven't found the time to watch even one DVD since I retired in 2009! So little time, so much fun to be had.

Pretty poor behavior for a retiree, isn't it. I'd better watch out or I'll be stripped of my Official Retiree Badge, not to mention my handy-dandy FIRE decoder ring...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #439

This is strange. The CD is not available on Netflix yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
Just watched Argo... Very good...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

Thoose who liked Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" would probably like "Seven Psychopaths" by Martin McDonagh, the writer of "In Bruges."