Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #441
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
This is strange. The CD is not available on Netflix yet.
I think you are correct. I don't think ARGO is available at NetFlix yet. The DW got the ARGO DVD at Walmart. This thread is titled "What DVD's have you seen recently?" You may have missed it, but there's a different thread for NetFlix movies called Netflix movie suggestion in the "Other Topics Section".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Argo is available on Netflix via mailed DVD.

BTW, we watched 39 Steps last night and enjoyed it. It's a BBC produced WW1 spy story with lots of running around and some light humor. Not a serious spy thriller but good for light entertainment.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is getting weirder. I just checked my Netflix queue 2 minutes ago and it says Argo will be available from March 19. I only have mailed DVDs also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Argo is available on Netflix via mailed DVD.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #444
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is strange. The CD is not available on Netflix yet.
Maybe it was through Comcast pay per view movies--it's available there. Or maybe at a theater (people sonetimes post about movies at the theater in this thread)?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #445
gone traveling

Quote:
This is getting weirder. I just checked my Netflix queue 2 minutes ago and it says Argo will be available from March 19. I only have mailed DVDs also.
I checked my NetFlix account just to see what it would say about ARGO's availability. My account says ARGO won't be available from NetFlix until 3/19 too... We usually wait until a movie is available from NetFlix but the wife really wanted to see this one sooner (so we bought a copy from WalMart). After watching it, I would agree that it was pretty good.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oops, you are right about March 19. For us that will be just fine as the queue is well stacked.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #447
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Thoose who liked Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" would probably like "Seven Psychopaths" by Martin McDonagh, the writer of "In Bruges."
That or Burn Before Reading. "7 Psychos" seemed to us like a cross between Tarantino & the Coen Bros.

Tyro
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #448
Recycles dryer sheets

7 Psychos - the room started with 6 people and 2 stayed to finish watching it. It is like someone had a bunch of bad dreams and strung them together. Not good. Saw Flight last night - good drama, sad, DW did an amazing job, as usual.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Wow, this thread is 257 days old. Don't people watch DVDs anymore?

We just resumed checking out DVDs from our local library. They kept sending us email asking us to come back. I guess they need patronage to maintain their funding, although the library seems to have more people there than ever. Might have something to do with unemployment, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, we watched "Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)" and "The Bourne Legacy (2012)". I much prefer the 2nd one. I know one has to allow his imagination to run when watching these thriller action movies, but Mission Impossible asked too much from me. The gadgets, the actions, and the lucky sequences of events are indeed "impossible".
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

I think some have moved on to this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ion-64768.html
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Man, they surely left me behind. And my local library too!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #452

Ratatouille, Cars, and Toy Story. Over and over and over. Must be the 4 year old in the house.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Well, we are the few left who do not stream movies from the Web, and we have no broadband up in the boonies home anyway. So, we usually check out some DVDs from the local library to bring up to watch.

We watched "The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015)", a British movie about the life of Ramanujan (1887-1920), a brilliant Indian mathematician who fought all odds to be accepted by the London elite. With the help of the English mathematician G. H. Hardy, he was finally elected Fellow of the Royal Society, and a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge in 1918.

Hardy thought Ramanujan's talent to be highly above that of himself, and in the rank of Euler and Jacobi. As paper was expensive in India, Ramanujan used a slate for his work, then copied only the results into notebooks. Hence, much of his theorems or formulas were stated without proof, and perhaps not taken seriously at first.

Wikipedia says that "During a lecture at IIT Madras in May 2011, Berndt stated that over the last 40 years, as nearly all of Ramanujan's theorems have been proven right, there had been greater appreciation of Ramanujan's work and brilliance, and that Ramanujan's work was now pervading many areas of modern mathematics and physics."
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #454

I get to rent movies from redbox for 25 cents (DVD) , and 75 cents blue ray, and earn credits so every 11th movie is free and can be Blue-ray.

Most Recent transactions at the Box
Title

1. Security
  2. Sleight
  3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
  4. Going In Style
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #455
Recycles dryer sheets

This post will cement my reputation as a total geek

Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

I wouldn't have considered this but a friend suggested it. This friend is also an amateur filmmaker and loves watching movies to learn from them. It doesn't matter whether it's "Casablanca" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space", every movie is an opportunity to learn.

"Hobo with a Shotgun" teaches the lesson that if your plot is an implausible vigilante story, and your protagonist isn't relateable, then the supporting characters must be compelling to carry the show.

Not a good flick, but a good lesson.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #456

Watching (from the library)....ALEXANDER\'S LOST WORLD - David Adams Films very informative.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #457
Give me a forum ...

Went to the theatre today to watch a movie I have had for 20 years...Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan was in limited nationwide 2 day release...I had to go since it was one of my favs...Very nostalgic seeing a movie first seen in theatre summer of 1982. Of course I took grief from my GF, so needless to say I went solo....
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #458
Dryer sheet aficionado

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Fun movie.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #459

We've been watching the Hornblower series, checked out from the library. Tomorrow we get the last 2 DVDs, which finally arrived and are on hold for me.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #460

Deepwater Horizon. OK. They really nailed the local redneck vibe accurately. (I like rednecks, btw). Acting was OK. Lots of explosions and yelling. Heroics. Action movies like this aren't my favorite thing, but I saw it anyway out of curiosity about the actual event. I think action movie fans would like it.