What DVDs have you seen recently?

Here is my recent list. (No, I'm not a movie buff, but I find it a good stress reliever and like the feel good or comedy movies)

The Spy Next Door
Dear John
Remember Me
Love Happens
Everybody's Fine
UP
When in Rome
Four Christmases
The Bounty Hunter
Hot Tub Time machine
Hashi
Valentine's Day
It's Complicated
She's out of my league
Old Dogs
The Tooth Fairy

I just discovered a British TV series called "Life On Mars" about a detective who awakes from a car accident to find himself back in 1973 working for the 1970's version of his police department. There is an American version, but the original British one is so good, I don't want to spoil things by watching it.

Talking about British detective series', a new season of Foyle's War just came out - great stuff.

We have not seen any movie in quite a while. Then, the other day, my daughter stopped by with a NetFlix movie that she obtained, and wanted to share with us. It's "It's Complicated". Seeing that it's a comedy and that it has a well-known acting cast, we watched it.

I don't know if we have really turned into curmudgeons, but we both did not think the movie was that good. The story line was interesting, but the script was ho hum, and the acting was not that great. I couldn't feel for any of the three main characters, and I think I am supposed to, at least for the one played by Steve Martin.

And there's something strange about the looks of these actors and actress. I know that they are getting old - aren't we all? - but they looked strange. My wife agreed with me. Could that be the effect of Botox, or some kind of facelifts?

We have not seen any movie in quite a while. Then, the other day, my daughter stopped by with a NetFlix movie that she obtained, and wanted to share with us. It's "It's Complicated". Seeing that it's a comedy and that it has a well-known acting cast, we watched it.

I don't know if we have really turned into curmudgeons, but we both did not think the movie was that good. The story line was interesting, but the script was ho hum, and the acting was not that great. I couldn't feel for any of the three main characters, and I think I am supposed to, at least for the one played by Steve Martin.

Oh no! It's the next movie in my Netflix queue!

Oops! But like I said, it could be that we were curmudgeons. I saw that this movie got some award nominations, so you should not be swayed by me.

DW and I saw It's Complicated a while back, and enjoyed it a lot. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Just saw The Informant, great comedy based on a real event. Police have to deal with the characters they encounter not the ones they would like to. Major good acting by Matt Damon.

Just watched L.A. Confidential. Saw it years back when it first came out on DVD, but we couldn't remember the ending. It sort of telegraphs the end, but I think it's intentional. Great movie though. I love that old L.A. aesthetic.

I saw No Country for Old Men (2007) last night. Exciting, suspenseful, and entertaining until the letdown of the ending. It would have gotten a 9 with a better ending, but I give it a 6.

I saw No Country for Old Men (2007) last night. Exciting, suspenseful, and entertaining until the letdown of the ending. It would have gotten a 9 with a better ending, but I give it a 6.

I hated this when I saw it in the theatre. Especially the ending. Probably the only movie I saw in 2007. Wasted time.

But then again, Talladega Nights is a great movie in my world so what do I know? :D:D

We watched August Rush last night. It was basically Oliver Twist with a music twist. It was pretty sappy, but we both really liked it. I have no idea how the critics rated it. DD left the DVD for us to watch, and we finally got around to it. I give it an 7.5, just for enjoyableness and having Robin Williams being a nasty Fagin.

This:

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1980)

A movie made in Russia. Very good (9.5/10). We had trouble keeping track of who was who at the beginning. The last half of the movie is the best. It gives you a good feeling for what life is like there.

You can apparently watch the whole thing on YouTube (search for it).

It is based on a Cormac McCarthy book by the same name, and McCarthy has pretty much always said he is not and never will be for the masses. And of course the Coens' brought it to the big screen. I figure that McCarthy wrote the story to be a boogie-man tale for grown-ups. Not some cheap horror movie like Halloween 58, but a tale that left you just a bit scared of what might be out there in the world.

It's not a cops & robbers movie, or a story about cowboys and bad guys - there is no good defeats evil ending here. It's a character study loaded with suspense. I think if you got to the end and were a little confused, a little disturbed, and at a loss for an explanation that made sense out the evil thing that was Anton Chigur - then you got what McCarthy was trying to send.

Yeah, but I hate that feeling when the credits come up and you say "Wha? That's it?" With this one it's as if someone took a pair of scissors to a good movie, and arbitrarily cut it in the middle. Of course, it beats the standard final warehouse shoot out scene.

A Handful of Dust (1988)

I rate this a 1/10. Not because it was boring (which it wasn't, except for the beginning), or because it was a chick flick, but for this reason:

During the most important plot points of the movie, the director made the movie intentionally confusing. For example, in one critical scene, someone important dies. But the scene is so obfuscated, that even if you watch it three times, you're not sure what happened or who died. As you continue on, you realize that you're supposed to gradually understand who died.

Later, the climax of the movie depends on the fact that two people have the same first name. But the first name of one of those persons is not revealed until several minutes later.

There was no artistic reason to make it confusing like that.

Finally the ending is totally unsatisfying ("Wha?? That's the end?!?").

OTOH, one of the characters was named "Mr. Beaver," which was one of DD's stuffed animals. So every time Mr. Beaver was mentioned we had a good laugh.

We just watched 2 movies from the library -

Up in the Air (2009/I) with George Clooney was really good. Good characters, well acted, interesting plot and relationships.

Bobby (2006) was just plain awful. You already know how it's going to end and it felt like somebody owed a bunch of actors favors so they make a movie where they could give them all parts. The only characters I liked were the kitchen staff. It would have been ok on TV, if I would have paid for this in a theater I would have been even more disappointed.

Just found this thread. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other recommendations. Earlier this week we watched "A Town Called Panic" ("Panique au village" in original). Quirky, funny, and kind of surreal stop-motion animation from Belgium (French with subtitles on DVD). See A Town Called Panic (2009) to get the idea. Probably not for everybody - just something different, "out-there" creative, furn to watch and laugh along with for 75 minutes. I enjoyed it.

While on vacation, I saw three movies.

"It's complicated" with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. Several friends had praised this romantic comedy. I found it boring, except for the ending (will they get back together, or not?). I agreed with her decision. There was one bedroom scene in which he grabbed her pudenda and said "I'm home". I don't think so....

"The last station" with Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirren. I learnt a lot about Tolstoy and his last days. Helen Mirren, as always, was outstanding.

"Young Victoria" with Emily Blunt. Great costumes, nice acting by Ms. Blunt, makes QV seem human. I would have liked more insight on the politics.

Can you tell I like historical movies? :cool:

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

I really enjoyed it. Not the same as the books yet the same. Depp's rendering of The Jabberwocky was spot on.

[SIZE=+2]`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

[/SIZE]

A couple of French films that are watchable instantly on NetFlix and I loved:

Sequins
I've Loved You So Long

Mostly I've been catching up on some great series that I didn't watch because I don't get premium cable:

Dexter
Weeds
Flight of the Conchords

Back
Top Bottom