What DVDs have you seen recently?

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

I really enjoyed it. Not the same as the books yet the same. Depp's rendering of The Jabberwocky was spot on.

[SIZE=+2]`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]All mimsy were the borogoves,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]And the mome raths outgrabe.[/SIZE]

I saw this recently on a plane. Very imaginative. I loved the scene where Alice, who has just fallen down the rabbit hole, drinks the potion and becomes too large for the room. I remember the illustrations in my storybook....

Chicago (2002)

The highly rated 2002 musical.

Horrible movie.

The story was bad. The characters unlikeable. The singing was bad. The dancing was so so. WTF? Why was this so well liked?

0 out of 10

I saw this recently on a plane. Very imaginative. I loved the scene where Alice, who has just fallen down the rabbit hole, drinks the potion and becomes too large for the room. I remember the illustrations in my storybook....

I really remember the pictures too and wish I still had that old book.
I still sing Twinkle, twinkle little bat, how I wonder where its at.
Though my childhood memories are all colored by Grace Slick singing One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small . . .

While on vacation, I saw three movies.

"It's complicated" with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. Several friends had praised this romantic comedy. I found it boring, except for the ending (will they get back together, or not?). :cool:

The only funny part of It's Complicated was the scene when they were smoking weed . That was funny !

This one?

alice01_l.jpg

Chicago (2002)

The highly rated 2002 musical.

Horrible movie.

The story was bad. The characters unlikeable. The singing was bad. The dancing was so so. WTF? Why was this so well liked?

0 out of 10

Three words:

Catherine

Zeta

Jones

Any movie with CZJ in it starts off with at least 12 stars. So OK, maybe this ended up at eleven stars then.

I'm sure any picture that draws men in with their wives does better at the box office. "What, it's a musical honey (hmmm, with CZJ?)? Sure, if you really want to, I guess so."

Or as my Dad would say, 'Do I haf to draw ya a picture?':

images

I thought Queen Latiffa did a great job, and unexpected for me (well, for a musical).

PS - T-Mobile is my cell provider. Co-incidence? I don't think so.

-ERD50

Just finished watching Casablanca for about the 73rd time. :D On TV, not DVD,but still...

What a great movie!

The sneaking around hobo guy was good, too.

The sneaking around hobo guy was good, too.

Do you know the story? He was a distinguished prep school teacher who came into the Blue Angel where Lola was performing, fell in love with her, and over time was reduced to what you saw. The Blue Angel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Men cluster to me like moths around a flame,
And if their wings burn, I know I'm not to blame...

A life lesson for any man who can learn it second hand, rather than directly. I ushered for a performance of The Blue Angel during my last year of high school. I decided right then that Vitamin P could be a dicier issue than I had realized. Fifty years later, there has been no successful challenge to that view.. :)

Ha

I decided right then that Vitamin P could be a dicier issue than I had realized. Fifty years later, there has been no successful challenge to that view.
Interesting stories - the one depicted in the film and that of the film itself. Fascinating to think that it was banned in Germany by the Nazis, but Hitler had his own copy that he often watched in his private theater. And imagine his reaction when Dietrich crossed into occupied German territory with the US Army wearing an American uniform.

The recently re-discovered English version is available at Netflix.

I came across "Sunshine" (Danny Boyle film if anyone is familiar with his work) again recently and I have to say I think it might be one of the best sci-fi films I've seen since I saw "Inception" a couple of weeks ago.

It was never released to theaters in the States for some reason, but I thoroughly recommend it.

(Boyle also did "Slumdog Millionaire" which was good, but overrated in my opinion, and "28 Days Later" which is probably my all-time favorite horror movie.):hide:

Not a DVD, but I saw Inception last night at the cinema. I enjoyed it because it was so different and out of the box. Some of the storyline wasn't logical, but then logic was not the point. The point was that subconscious experience can supplant reality. Very neat animation!

I loved the visuals! Great film!

I just worked my way through 5 years of the TV show "Lost" and loved it. It's available on instant play on Netflix. The bad news is the 6th (and final) year has not been released yet so I don't know how it ends - and I'm avoiding finding out.

Other than that here are recommendations and a few I'd stay away from - assume it's one I liked unless I mention otherwise:

Galaxy Quest
The Lovely Bones (this is kind of creepy but visually amazing and I just loved it, as did my SO)
Alice in Wonderlanad
A Single Man
The Informant!
My One and Only - okay, based on the life of George Hamilton, excellent acting
The Road (depressing plot but excellent acting)
Sherlock Holmes: HATED IT. High production values but I was bored throughout and so was my male, Sherlock Holmes-loving, S.O...
Pirate Radio - wonderful
Invictus
An Education
Crazy Heart
The Young Victoria

These are available on Netflix instant...:
District 9 (IMHO this is a must-see, but not light fare)
K-Pax
Bottle Shock - this is fabulous
Peter Pan (with Cathy Rigby) - much like the Mary Martin version of my childhood
The Ruling Class
Greenfingers - this is fabulous
Return of the Secaucus Seven

Okay I watch a lot of movies, it's true!

The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo - Subtitles, my DW read the book, suggested we get the movie, great movie, very well done.

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

10/10. I've never thought that Tarantino is as good as he thinks he is, but I've changed my mind. Totally engrossing, although there are a few scenes which seem to be purposefully slow, so that the tension builds up (first scene, for example).

It is uber violent in parts, and Lena just couldn't take it, and stopped watching at the first scalping. Entertaining and satisfying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom