Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watched Yip Man 2 yesterday. This is a sequel of Yip Man 1 which tells the story of Bruce Lee's kung fu master. It is one of those HK kung fu film and a big hit over in this side of the world. Yip Man 1 is set during the Japanese occupation in China and Yip Man 2 is set during the British colonisation of HK. You'll most probably find it rather racial but shows great kung fu and I just look at it as entertainment and try not be judgemental. I think the next sequel will introduce Bruce Lee in his younger days with his kung fu master.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We picked up Inglorious Bastards @ the library recently. Good flick for free...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

3000 Miles to Graceland (2001)

7.5/10
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Not a movie, but watched The Eagles' Farewell Tour I several times over the weekend on the Booze Cruise Men's Christian houseboat outing. Muy bien!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #125

Not a movie, but I've been catching up on the AMC series Breaking Bad. It's really excellent, and it's easy to see why Bryan Cranston has won a couple of Emmys for his work on it. Highly recommended.

Not for the faint of heart, though. My wife stopped watching it because it was too intense for her (she doesn't like thrillers or scary movies/shows).
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #126
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here is my recent list. (No, I'm not a movie buff, but I find it a good stress reliever and like the feel good or comedy movies)

The Spy Next Door
Dear John
Remember Me
Love Happens
Everybody's Fine
UP
When in Rome
Four Christmases
The Bounty Hunter
Hot Tub Time machine
Hashi
Valentine's Day
It's Complicated
She's out of my league
Old Dogs
The Tooth Fairy
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just discovered a British TV series called "Life On Mars" about a detective who awakes from a car accident to find himself back in 1973 working for the 1970's version of his police department. There is an American version, but the original British one is so good, I don't want to spoil things by watching it.

Talking about British detective series', a new season of Foyle's War just came out - great stuff.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
We picked up Inglorious Bastards @ the library recently. Good flick for free...
How did you like the ending? I don't want to describe it so as not to spoil anyone else's enjoyment of this movie.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

We have not seen any movie in quite a while. Then, the other day, my daughter stopped by with a NetFlix movie that she obtained, and wanted to share with us. It's "It's Complicated". Seeing that it's a comedy and that it has a well-known acting cast, we watched it.

I don't know if we have really turned into curmudgeons, but we both did not think the movie was that good. The story line was interesting, but the script was ho hum, and the acting was not that great. I couldn't feel for any of the three main characters, and I think I am supposed to, at least for the one played by Steve Martin.

And there's something strange about the looks of these actors and actress. I know that they are getting old - aren't we all? - but they looked strange. My wife agreed with me. Could that be the effect of Botox, or some kind of facelifts?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We have not seen any movie in quite a while. Then, the other day, my daughter stopped by with a NetFlix movie that she obtained, and wanted to share with us. It's "It's Complicated". Seeing that it's a comedy and that it has a well-known acting cast, we watched it.

I don't know if we have really turned into curmudgeons, but we both did not think the movie was that good. The story line was interesting, but the script was ho hum, and the acting was not that great. I couldn't feel for any of the three main characters, and I think I am supposed to, at least for the one played by Steve Martin.
Oh no! It's the next movie in my Netflix queue!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Oops! But like I said, it could be that we were curmudgeons. I saw that this movie got some award nominations, so you should not be swayed by me.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #132

DW and I saw It's Complicated a while back, and enjoyed it a lot. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #133

Just saw The Informant, great comedy based on a real event. Police have to deal with the characters they encounter not the ones they would like to. Major good acting by Matt Damon.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #134

Just watched L.A. Confidential. Saw it years back when it first came out on DVD, but we couldn't remember the ending. It sort of telegraphs the end, but I think it's intentional. Great movie though. I love that old L.A. aesthetic.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

I saw No Country for Old Men (2007) last night. Exciting, suspenseful, and entertaining until the letdown of the ending. It would have gotten a 9 with a better ending, but I give it a 6.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I saw No Country for Old Men (2007) last night. Exciting, suspenseful, and entertaining until the letdown of the ending. It would have gotten a 9 with a better ending, but I give it a 6.
I hated this when I saw it in the theatre. Especially the ending. Probably the only movie I saw in 2007. Wasted time.

But then again, Talladega Nights is a great movie in my world so what do I know?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

We watched August Rush last night. It was basically Oliver Twist with a music twist. It was pretty sappy, but we both really liked it. I have no idea how the critics rated it. DD left the DVD for us to watch, and we finally got around to it. I give it an 7.5, just for enjoyableness and having Robin Williams being a nasty Fagin.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

This:

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1980)

A movie made in Russia. Very good (9.5/10). We had trouble keeping track of who was who at the beginning. The last half of the movie is the best. It gives you a good feeling for what life is like there.

You can apparently watch the whole thing on YouTube (search for it).
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It is based on a Cormac McCarthy book by the same name, and McCarthy has pretty much always said he is not and never will be for the masses. And of course the Coens' brought it to the big screen. I figure that McCarthy wrote the story to be a boogie-man tale for grown-ups. Not some cheap horror movie like Halloween 58, but a tale that left you just a bit scared of what might be out there in the world.

It's not a cops & robbers movie, or a story about cowboys and bad guys - there is no good defeats evil ending here. It's a character study loaded with suspense. I think if you got to the end and were a little confused, a little disturbed, and at a loss for an explanation that made sense out the evil thing that was Anton Chigur - then you got what McCarthy was trying to send.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but I hate that feeling when the credits come up and you say "Wha? That's it?" With this one it's as if someone took a pair of scissors to a good movie, and arbitrarily cut it in the middle. Of course, it beats the standard final warehouse shoot out scene.