What DVDs have you seen recently?

I streamed I.O.U.S.A. from Netflix last night. I know that it has been discussed here before, but the movie, which details the history and extent of the national debt, really makes one sit up and take notice.

Anyone planning a SS do over or delaying SS until 70 might want to view it. It is hard not to be angry at our politicians after viewing this - they are treating us like children hoping the music won't stop while they are in office.

The middle film of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy Oldboy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Definitely not something that Hollywood would ever make. It's the only film I can remember that equally repelled me while simultaneously luring me to stay and watch more. Youngest son walked out saying it was a little too freaky for him. Won a bunch of awards, some call it an instant cult classic - I'm still equally on the hate/love fence.

Tarantino loved it, so you know it's going to be violent and twisted and maybe entertaining. Ebert said it was a "...powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare".

I watched it in Korean with subtitles. You can get it streaming on Netflix with English dubbed over the Korean, but oldest son says without the subtitles you lose some important points when something written (note, books, computer text) is displayed since it is not translated.

I've been streaming (Netflix) the good ole BBC version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't Panic! :ROFLMAO:

BlueRay version of the Last Waltz. Breakup party for the Band. A young Clapton, Van Morrison, et. all. Nice

Watched How To Train Your Dragon with DGD and family. Pretty good movie. Not quite up to The Incredibles or Up standards, but better than Wall-E IMHO. I love kid movies. :D

We went to see " The Other Guys " . It was hilarious .We saw it at the discount movie theatre and that is the last stop before becoming a DVD .

The middle film of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy Oldboy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Definitely not something that Hollywood would ever make. It's the only film I can remember that equally repelled me while simultaneously luring me to stay and watch more.
An intense film. I watched it a couple years ago and sent this to the person who recommended it: "Oh. My. God. I was mesmerized. At times it was like watching either a slow motion car wreck or staring at the results of the wreck."

Steven Spielberg tried to remake it with Will Smith in the lead. No, I'm not joking. Oldboy fans rejoiced when Spielberg failed to get the rights.

If you like a thrillers (but it is violent)... check out

No Country for Old Men (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good actors and actresses, well done... and chilling! Some have criticized the ending because it is not a typical Hollywood "feel good/everything works out" ending... but a bit closer (unfortunately) to what really occurs too often.

I would describe it like a contemporary Alfred Hitchcock thriller but more raw and edgy... done by the Coen Bros.

A few weeks ago I got Unforgiven out of the library. Clint Eastwood's transformation toward the end of the film was just terrifying.

The Killer Inside Me - killer sociopath film noir - takes place in the 1950s. I enjoy movies from that time period.
The Killer Inside Me (2010) - IMDb

Has that No Country For Old Men feel.

Also recently saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

Hated it...
AAAAC06GTVgAAAAAAFDX8g.png

Life as a House with Kevin Klein. It's funny, sad and extremely thought provoking. I watch it at least one a year.

Storyline from IMDB:

George Monroe is a lonely and sad man. Divorced for ten years, he lives alone on the Southern California coast with his pet dog in the same run down shack he has lived in for twenty-five years, the shack which his father passed down to him. In the intervening years, ostentatious houses have sprung up around him. He's been at the same architectural firm for twenty years in a job he hates, which primarily consists of building scale models. On the day that he is fired from his job, he is diagnosed with an advanced case of terminal cancer, which he chooses not to disclose to his family. In many ways, this day is the happiest of his recent life in that he decides to spend what little time he has left doing what he really wants to do, namely build a house he can call his own to replace the shack. He also wants his rebellious sixteen year old son to live with him for the summer, hopefully not only to help in the house construction but so they can reconnect.

All That Heaven Allows (1955) - IMDb

Middle-aged widow gets in trouble because she chooses to marry her socially unacceptable and younger gardener. Were people so different back then (1955) or is the movie exaggerating? That's what you have to decide when you watch it. 7.5/10.

The Hoax (2006) - IMDb

In the middle of this now. Not too bad so far.

BlueRay version of the Last Waltz. Breakup party for the Band. A young Clapton, Van Morrison, et. all. Nice

I own this. I saw The Band in Pasadena Civid Auditorium, about 1971. Excellent show. As I remember BB King opened. I love some bands from that era- The Band, Big Brother and The Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane &Starship, Credence, Ike and Tina,-great period.

There were also some outstanding local LA bands, mostly black blues bands. As best I know they stayed local, played clubs in South LA and Hollywood and Venice and never went mainstream enough to crack the big markets. It would have ruined their music anyway. I wish I could find some of these performances now, but I never saw anyone filming and I would guess that there are no videos or films.

Ha

Not a DVD but a recent movie. Went to see RED (Retired and Extremely Dangerous) yesterday. Hilarious and action packed.

I own this. I saw The Band in Pasadena Civid Auditorium, about 1971. Excellent show. As I remember BB King opened. I love some bands from that era- The Band, Big Brother and The Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane &Starship, Credence, Ike and Tina,-great period.

There were also some outstanding local LA bands, mostly black blues bands. As best I know they stayed local, played clubs in South LA and Hollywood and Venice and never went mainstream enough to crack the big markets. It would have ruined their music anyway. I wish I could find some of these performances now, but I never saw anyone filming and I would guess that there are no videos or films.

Ha
I also saw The Band at the Pasadena Civic center in 1971. We may have been at the same concert. You named some of my favorite groups; I don't think a period like that will happen again any time soon.

The Shining (1980) - IMDb

The first half was great, with nice suspense and fun surprises. Second more like a "get away from the slasher" movie, and the ending was unsatisfying.

theshining_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

I've read a lot of "Explain The Shining" web pages, but it's still not satisfying. There was an alternate ending that would have been better.

7/10

The Shining (1980) - IMDb

The first half was great, with nice suspense and fun surprises. Second more like a "get away from the slasher" movie, and the ending was unsatisfying.

I've read a lot of "Explain The Shining" web pages, but it's still not satisfying. There was an alternate ending that would have been better.

7/10

I think of this Onion article every time someone brings up The Shining.
Sasha Obama Keeps Seeing Creepy Bush Twins While Riding Tricycle Through White House | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
That movie did scare the pants off of me as a kid.

North Face (2008) - IMDb

Extremely suspenseful and well done. I give it a 2/10 but I can't tell you why without ruining it for you.

The "Making of" feature is interesting, showing how the photoshop the video to make it so dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom